Cooler Master prepares new cases for Cebit 2011

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

BCF

Cooler Master prepares new cases for Cebit 2011

Post by BCF » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/21929 ... cebit-2011

The Silent Chassis M and the CM Storm Enforcer will be two new cases and we managed to twist a hand or two to get some details.

According to what we know so far, the Silent Chassis M will support the USB 3.0 standard, will have an integrated SD card reader on its front I/O panel and Cooler Master's X-Dock tech for 3.5 and 2.5" HDDs. As you could have guessed from the name, the case should be one of the quietest ones that came from CM and will use some kind of soundproof insulation on its front and side panels.

The CM Storm Enforcer will be a case aimed at gamers and this one will also feature USB 3.0 ports, the removable HDD cage and patented Storm Guard Security feature. As you would expect from the Storm line of products, this one will be all about looks and we are sure that we will easily spot it at CM's booth at Cebit.

I'm looking forward to see how the Cooler Master Silent Chassis M will be. From the brief description in the article, it looks like it will have what I'm looking for in my new build.

BCF

Re: Cooler Master prepares new cases for Cebit 2011

Post by BCF » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:03 pm

A French website @ http://www.cowcotland.com/news/24836/ce ... tiers.html has posted some photos of the new Coolermaster cases shown at CeBit 2011.
The website mentions that the The Silent M case has "foam on the doors" (for sound dampening), and there are also 2 fans: a 140mm front and 120mm rear. The Silent M case will sell for 79 euros.

vatan007

Post by vatan007 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Ok. A while ago I started to get interested in getting myself a new computer. I do audio recording in the same room, so itll need to be quiet. After seeing the puget i7 sandy bridge 2600K build, I thought I'd take that build as my basis. However, there were some things about it that I'd want differently. Especially the case. Isn't it a smart thing to get 140 mm fans? Why are the front holes so big, why the extra hole in the top?

Cooler master is making new cases for the silent market. Won't this be a good competitor for that antec case used by puget? I mean, 850 watts is also overkill, right?

Look here for a fantastic PREVIEW of the case by people from the netherlands who went to the actual cebit event, with lots of pictures. Get google to translate for you. http://tweakers.net/reviews/2048/cebit- ... ent-m.html

I would like to see response from u silent pros!

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks vatan. This one looks promising, another case that borrows ideas from Antec and Fractal.

Google Translation (with added minor grammatical corrections):

Features:
"The drive cage behind the intake fan to find, can be divided into two parts. This allows room for a great video card to be released. In the upper cage, four 3.5 "drives are housed, while the bottom has room for two disks or one 3.5" drive and two SSD's.""

"The space inside the Silent M is spacious enough for a micro ATX board, but whoever wants to install an ATX motherboard will have to proceed carefully to avoid overcrowding. The cable management, as in a midtower usual, not particularly easy. The space between the right side panel and the motherboard plate is adequate, but the foam for sound insulation makes the space smaller. However, there are enough holes for the cables and mounting options."

Conclusion:

"On paper the new Cooler Master case a nice successor to Sileo. The Silent Project M looks a lot more mature and has a high-end look. The expected selling price is correspondingly: with 80 is the Project M Silent expensive than two decades Sileo. [didn't quite get this...80 Euro? Obviously saying here it will be more expensive than the Sileo].

However, it should be noted that the design is not final, the finish also seems to have improved. Where Sileo is some do-it-yourself impression left, the new case also looks more professional and the Silent M Project from the outset is designed as a silent housing.

Since not all components have been built, we can not say if there will be the same problems with the insulation that the Sileo had. Also, the sound dampening performance of the foam used has not been proven.

Cooler Master seems a fairly luxurious, quiet but hopefully nearly finished case, a design that would fit in any area of the house, even the living room. The cabinet has promise. In time we will learn, and we look forward to putting the Project Silent M case to a comprehensive test."

vatan007

Post by vatan007 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:05 pm

Well,

De verwachte verkoopprijs is navenant: met 80 euro wordt de Project Silent M twee tientjes duurder dan de Sileo.

This means that the expected selling price will be 80 euro's, 20 euro more expensive then the sileo. This could be expected because of it having matured into this case and looking more high-end.

Couldn't this case be equipped with a seasonic x series psu? I mean, that is some silent stuff I read. Im just worried about the overly small size (I like small sized cases, but this might be too small to fit it all in... firewire card, passive video card, wireless adapter,..., gelid tranquilo cpu cooler,...) hm, gonna be tight.

Something quite a bit unrelated,.... Everytime i see news about some new pc case that is aimed at the silence searching niche in the market, i hope that it will have some soundproofing done in the back of the case, so as to 'guide' the air away from the computer's case... i mean,... the psu's exhaust is blowing out into the open. it would be great to have like a small mountable little soundtreated room that will deaden/absorb the sound a bit.. Do you know of something?

Anyways, back to ontopic. Ehm, yeah... maybe this case plus the seasonic x (isnt this the quitest psu around?) will have more silence-potential than the antec p183 plus cp-850 combination, wouldn't it?

cheers

BCF

Post by BCF » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:53 am

Another French website @ http://www.revioo.com/news/coolermaster ... 15294.html with some more photos of the new Cooler Master Silent M case

Falkon

Post by Falkon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:16 am

That new Silent Chassis M looks good to me, although I have a few gripes about it:
1) the door is glossy and appears to be a fingerprint magnet, -1
2) the hard drive mounting system doesn't appear to utilize any sort of vibration isolation
3) the case looks really slick overall, but the Coolermaster logo on the front really ruins it for me.
It would look much better if the logo were a subtle medium gray or something, the bright white stands out too much.
4) the USB 3.0 on the front is poorly implemented. It would be nice to see an internal header instead of the type A connector.

vatan007

Post by vatan007 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:38 am

the article i referred was written by people who had visited the cebit event. they explicitly make statements about the amount of fingerprints that this case draws... you should let google translate it for you and read it. they say it does an active job of keeping fingerprints away due to some special layer applied on it. It was fingerprintless during the event while loads of people touch it.

also, more in general it is stated that the appearance is still udner revision and scrutinized by their team, so its not final.

its taste in the end

Falkon

Post by Falkon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:46 pm

vatan007 wrote:the article i referred was written by people who had visited the cebit event. they explicitly make statements about the amount of fingerprints that this case draws... you should let google translate it for you and read it. they say it does an active job of keeping fingerprints away due to some special layer applied on it. It was fingerprintless during the event while loads of people touch it.
I did translate and read that article, but I also saw this picture of the case which stands in stark contrast to their statement.

I think that all this case needs is silicone grommets and/or hard drive suspension built-in along with a matte or even semi-gloss/satin black finish and it would instantly be on my want list. Also, the front logo would be much better if it appeared on the final version as it does in this picture.

vatan007

Post by vatan007 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:04 pm

ouch, boy, that last post of mine wasnt intended as pun, sorry man. Anyhow, yeah wow look at those fingerprints. iew. I guess I shouldn't have believed that marketing shit about the 'special layer' blabla! Thanks for posting that picture mate.

It isnt a dealbreaker for me though. I am really wondering how this case would do in some supersilent pc built... will it hold up on the p183 + cp850? I mean, puget shure has the number 1 position right now with their performance/silence specs (see article on puget i7 sandy bridge build) which is done with the 183 and 850.

Whaddayathink?

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Since there are almost no other mid-tower cases with a front door and I/O ports + power buttons on top, and marketed to the 'silent'crowd, this makes it of special interest to me. I'd be willing to rig up a DIY HDD suspension mount if this case turns out to have even half-way postive reviews. My old Antec Sonata II (circa 2003) had a shiny, fingerprint magent cabinet. So, while displeasing, it wouldn't be a deal breaker. (Hopefully Coolermaster come to their senses and makes it matte).

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:57 pm

They Slient M looks great but it seems like there copying Antec much like what Factual Design has been doing either way looks great. I hope Slient M is cheaper then the expensive Factual Design R3,Antec P series Coolermaster always has lower prices for there cases.

goatsandmonkeys

Post by goatsandmonkeys » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:44 pm

It's only 10 Euros less than the Fractal Define which has dampened hard drive mounting, more configurable fan mounting. It also includes 2 pretty good 120mm case fans and a fan controller. Mind you I'm a Fractal Design fan boy, but if the cooler master case wants to distinguish itself it needs to be cheaper, have thicker steal, or have better fans than fractal offers.

The bottom line is competition for our money means we will get better products for less money. I hope that Antec is working one something new.

sam2

Post by sam2 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:11 am

goatsandmonkeys wrote:It's only 10 Euros less than the Fractal Define which has dampened hard drive mounting, more configurable fan mounting. It also includes 2 pretty good 120mm case fans and a fan controller. Mind you I'm a Fractal Design fan boy, but if the cooler master case wants to distinguish itself it needs to be cheaper, have thicker steal, or have better fans than fractal offers.

The bottom line is competition for our money means we will get better products for less money. I hope that Antec is working one something new.
If only Fractal didn't have all those ugly, useless, dust collecting ventilation holes on the side and the top of the case...

BCF

Post by BCF » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:27 pm

Fudzilla has another post for the Cool Master new cases @ http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/22082 ... -new-cases

The next in line is the Project Silent M, or Silencio, as it will be called once it hits retail. It should end up to be quite silent and is made out of steel in combination with plastic and acrylic. It has three 5.25-inch bays (one reserved for X-Dock), seven 3.5-inch bays, and two 2.5-inch that can be converted from a single 3.5-inch one.

This case will also feature USB 3.0 support and will be cooled by front and rear 120mm silent fans spinning at 800RPM. As you can see from pictures below, the Silencio will have a padded front and side panel in order to keep the noise levels at minimum.

... case will be announced in April while the mass availability is expected in May.
... the Silencio should retail at around €79.

Interesting that the Project Silient M will be called Silencio "once it hits retail."

goatsandmonkeys

Post by goatsandmonkeys » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:13 pm

sam2 wrote:
goatsandmonkeys wrote:It's only 10 Euros less than the Fractal Define which has dampened hard drive mounting, more configurable fan mounting. It also includes 2 pretty good 120mm case fans and a fan controller. Mind you I'm a Fractal Design fan boy, but if the cooler master case wants to distinguish itself it needs to be cheaper, have thicker steal, or have better fans than fractal offers.

If only Fractal didn't have all those ugly, useless, dust collecting ventilation holes on the side and the top of the case...
You can collect fingerprints or dust. Let the customer decide.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:15 pm

BCF wrote:Fudzilla has another post for the Cool Master new cases @ http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/22082 ... -new-cases

The next in line is the Project Silent M, or Silencio, as it will be called once it hits retail. It should end up to be quite silent and is made out of steel in combination with plastic and acrylic. It has three 5.25-inch bays (one reserved for X-Dock), seven 3.5-inch bays, and two 2.5-inch that can be converted from a single 3.5-inch one.

This case will also feature USB 3.0 support and will be cooled by front and rear 120mm silent fans spinning at 800RPM. As you can see from pictures below, the Silencio will have a padded front and side panel in order to keep the noise levels at minimum.

... case will be announced in April while the mass availability is expected in May.
... the Silencio should retail at around €79.

Interesting that the Project Silient M will be called Silencio "once it hits retail."
Great find, BCF!
"It has three 5.25-inch bays (one reserved for X-Dock)" What exactly does this mean? Could I still put, say, an internal card reader in the 'one reserved for X-Dock'? (What the heck is X-Dock, anyway?)

goatsandmonkeys

Post by goatsandmonkeys » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:33 pm

It lets you dock a bare sata drive on the top of the case. It's useful for video editing and making back ups. It's obviously loud.

sam2

Post by sam2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:49 pm

goatsandmonkeys wrote:
sam2 wrote:If only Fractal didn't have all those ugly, useless, dust collecting ventilation holes on the side and the top of the case...
You can collect fingerprints or dust. Let the customer decide.
I don't quite follow. What does addition or omission of ventilation holes on the side and the top of the case have to do with possible fingerprint collection?

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:29 am

[quote="Falkon"]2) the hard drive mounting system doesn't appear to utilize any sort of vibration isolation[/quote[quote="Falkon"]

From my experiences with the Sileo 500, the "rubber-pads" to reduce vibrations are a joke. Suspending the drive made the overall noise much more quiet. I wish Cooler Master would improve on that.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:45 pm

The Silent M looks like a really good competitor to the Antec Solo. I'm looking to upgrade from my NSK3480, but I've been hesitant to jump on the Solo bandwagon because it's a rather old design (can't wait until Antec releases an update) with limited cable management and somewhat small fans. The Silent M fixes both those issues, but introduces new ones with bad hard drive mounting and a fingerprint magnet front door. However, hard drive mounting can be fixed more easily than cutting larger fans holes and cutting up a case for cable routing IMO, and I can probably live with the fingerprints.

I also really like the top mounted USB/audio ports with USB3 versus the front/side ones for the SOLO. It also looks like they included an SD card slot, which is a big plus since I always have to use my laptop to work with SD cards.

My biggest issue is with the price. This looks to be priced in the P182/P183 realm. For $100-150, I think the P182/P183 is a much better case (noise and cooling-wise). If they put this around or below $100, I'd probably take it over the SOLO for my next desktop case.

BCF

Post by BCF » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:50 pm

I just found the Coolermaster Silencio available for pre-order @ http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =CA-236-CM

No new details about the case on the website, but Cooler Master is getting close to releasing it's new Silencio (Silent M) case to e-tailers & retailers soon.
ETA on the website currently states May 1, 2011 :)

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:06 am

BCF wrote:I just found the Coolermaster Silencio available for pre-order @ http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =CA-236-CM
Am I the only one disappointed by the maximum CPU height of just 154 mm? As I remember most of the high-end CPU coolers are approx. 160 mm tall.

BCF

Post by BCF » Sat May 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Found a site mentioning that the Silencio 550 should available next week for around US$108 (posted May 6, 2011)
@ http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/28237/

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun May 08, 2011 12:47 am

kuzzia wrote:Am I the only one disappointed by the maximum CPU height of just 154 mm? As I remember most of the high-end CPU coolers are approx. 160 mm tall.
+1

The only decent tower cooler is know of offhand that is 154mm or less is the Gelid Tranquillo at 153mm, from sources such as http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =HS-001-GD. At least it is reasonably priced. Coolermaster need to make this case at least 15mm wider - I haven't see detailed photos but I suspect that the CPU cooler height limitation is not only due to the internal foam lining but also the space behind the motherboard tray for cable management.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Mon May 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Reviews are popping up: Hardwareheaven, KitGuru, Overclock3D, Fudzilla

Luke M

Post by Luke M » Tue May 24, 2011 2:21 am

kuzzia wrote:Am I the only one disappointed by the maximum CPU height of just 154 mm? As I remember most of the high-end CPU coolers are approx. 160 mm tall.
What a blunder! It's too bad because it looks like a nice case.

mkk

Post by mkk » Tue May 24, 2011 12:04 pm

One can fit 160mm coolers in there but the foam on the side panels are thick enough to touch the cooler, and if there's a hard edge for the foam to grip onto it may even make the side a bit hard to close. Since the same foam is on the other side panel as well there is not much space left to hide cables behind. Not that I consider cable management that critical, but some do. Good value especially for relatively low power builds, but there are better cases close to it.

doveman

Post by doveman » Thu May 26, 2011 4:42 am

What initially seemed promising now just looks dumb!

Why would you design a case to market to silence enthusiasts and then make it too small to accommodate most decent CPU coolers, and not leave enough space to use the cable management area properly (which some people might think is just for looks, rather than making that much difference to airflow, but it all helps and it definitely makes life easier not to have cables everywhere when you have to open the case for maintenance)? All they had to do was make it a bit wider and both of these problems would have been eliminated. Image