nocona 3Ghz dual CPU help with PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Smile

nocona 3Ghz dual CPU help with PSU

Post by Smile » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi, I have this system that I would like to upgrade:

Nocona 3Ghz dual CPU system
ASUS NCT-D Motherboard
8GB RAM

2x WD Raptors 150GB
2x WD Caviar Black 2TB
Sound Blaster PCI
RAID Controller 64bit PCI
Esata controller 64bit PCI

7600GS Nvidia PCI Express (will upgrade)

I'm considering between:

Corsair AX750
Corsair 750W
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2
Antec TruePower New TP-750

The antec would be cheapest where I live and Corsair AX750 the most expensive :(
I will overclock my cpu as best I can with stock intel copper cooler that is massive :)

The old PSU was 500W Chieftec that ran rather hot if PC was under load.
I will use the PC to do some rendering in After Effects, Photoshop file batch work etc. The system stability is needs to be very good (when not oc'ed) :)
No electric coil whine allowed !

Fire-Flare

Re: nocona 3Ghz dual CPU help with PSU

Post by Fire-Flare » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:33 pm

I haven't tried the Corsairs, but they look like rebranded versions of the Seasonic X series.

I believe SPCR said the same thing when they looked inside.

My X-650 is dead silent and I am very pleased with its performance.

Smile

Post by Smile » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:48 pm

What everyone fails to notice is that all of my mentioned PSU units except Corsair AX750 contain large number (5-6 coils come on :roll: ) inductor coils, hand wound I think. There inductors can vibrate and create the electric whine noise. The less are those in PSU design the better.

I have my trusty Zalman 600-HP PSU and it started to whine after 6 months, warranty service do not want to replace it as it works fine, but for my ears that is not good enough. I understand cooler noises, but that electric whine is everywhere even 5 meters from computer I can hear it.

So my next PSU must be dead silent :) Thank you for your input.

themaster1

Post by themaster1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:04 pm

Smile wrote:I have my trusty Zalman 600-HP PSU and it started to whine after 6 months, that electric whine is everywhere even 5 meters from computer I can hear it.
Got this psu since one year i have swaped the fan and control it with a rheobus, totally silent now.You might try that.

Smile

Post by Smile » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:01 pm

themaster1 wrote:
Smile wrote:I have my trusty Zalman 600-HP PSU and it started to whine after 6 months, that electric whine is everywhere even 5 meters from computer I can hear it.
Got this psu since one year i have swaped the fan and control it with a rheobus, totally silent now.You might try that.
The Zalman PSU was fixed viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61767
But really show what sloppy technicians were testing it and not noticing 2 caps that were bad, and I have to say I replaces them with bigger ones could not find 8mm diameter had to use 10mm diameter same 2200uf 6.3V caps.

I was thinking to put larger say 16V, but they were even larger 12.5mm diameter, shame Zalman have everything packed so ridiculously tight in there.

Smile

Post by Smile » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:40 pm

I have ordered the Seasonic X-760 760W 80 Plus Gold. Should get it in few days. I Will post back how it goes.