USB3 at front of Antec P183?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

bburk

USB3 at front of Antec P183?

Post by bburk » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:27 am

New MB I am planning to get has a USB3 header on it. Is there any easy way to put USB3 connectors in the front of a P183?

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:50 pm

If you're brave and handy with a hobby tools you could extract a USB2 connector and epoxy in a USB3 Cable end.

In the case of an OOPS!!! a replacement "P183 FRONT PORT ASSEMBLY" is available from the Antec US Online store for US$ 8.50 (including USPS ground service shipping)

vitaminc

Re: USB3 at front of Antec P183?

Post by vitaminc » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:01 am

The farkturds at antec completely cheap out on the p183v3 front panel. Disappointed.

Queelis

Post by Queelis » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:38 am

vitaminc wrote:The farkturds at antec completely cheap out on the p183v3 front panel. Disappointed.
Yeah, they should've known 5 years ago what the USB3 specs will be and make connectors for that!

But seriously, they should just get a new revision, that's all.

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:23 am

Queelis wrote:
vitaminc wrote:The farkturds at antec completely cheap out on the p183v3 front panel. Disappointed.
Yeah, they should've known 5 years ago what the USB3 specs will be and make connectors for that!

Eh p183v3 has an incomptent implimentation of usb 3 - you need to wire a connector to the back panel ports instead of motherboard. A ridiculously half ass attempt of an p183 revision.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:41 am

vitaminc wrote:Eh p183v3 has an incomptent implimentation of usb 3 - you need to wire a connector to the back panel ports instead of motherboard. A ridiculously half ass attempt of an p183 revision.
That's because the P183 V3 was released before the USB3 internal header standard was finalised/released. Or, if it was released after this, then wouldn't it be better to ensure compatibility with the early USB3 motherboards that don't have an internal USB3 header?

In either case, surely someone will come out with an adapter cable?

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:27 pm

flemeister wrote:
vitaminc wrote:Eh p183v3 has an incomptent implimentation of usb 3 - you need to wire a connector to the back panel ports instead of motherboard. A ridiculously half ass attempt of an p183 revision.
That's because the P183 V3 was released before the USB3 internal header standard was finalised/released. Or, if it was released after this, then wouldn't it be better to ensure compatibility with the early USB3 motherboards that don't have an internal USB3 header?

In either case, surely someone will come out with an adapter cable?
P183 V3 is released January 2011. Internal USB3 connector was standardized late 2010.

Either way, Antec is cutting corners on an otherwise great case. It was such a simple fix for them but they choose not to do it and release a half baked solution.

fumino

Post by fumino » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:08 pm

what i dont understand is why motherboard manufactures didnt just slap a type-a usb3 socket or two on the motherboard internally. it seems like it'd take up less space than what ive seen of the header. its not like putting an internal socket on a board is a new idea either, you see it a lot on server boards.

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:36 pm

fumino wrote:what i dont understand is why motherboard manufactures didnt just slap a type-a usb3 socket or two on the motherboard internally. it seems like it'd take up less space than what ive seen of the header. its not like putting an internal socket on a board is a new idea either, you see it a lot on server boards.
What's the point of using stop gap solution when we have actually crossed the chasm?

fumino

Post by fumino » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:13 pm

vitaminc wrote:
fumino wrote:what i dont understand is why motherboard manufactures didnt just slap a type-a usb3 socket or two on the motherboard internally. it seems like it'd take up less space than what ive seen of the header. its not like putting an internal socket on a board is a new idea either, you see it a lot on server boards.
What's the point of using stop gap solution when we have actually crossed the chasm?
for one, we wouldnt need to have these discussions about which cases have proper usb 3 headers, which ones have the cables that plug into ports, which motherboards have support...

really it was ridiculous for case manufacturers to start including usb3 without using the proper header...that was using a stop gap solution. however, if we moved away from the idea that motherboard headers have to be pinouts, and cant just be replaced with plugs, then we could have avoided this whole mess altogether.

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:50 pm

fumino wrote:
vitaminc wrote:
for one, we wouldnt need to have these discussions about which cases have proper usb 3 headers, which ones have the cables that plug into ports, which motherboards have support...

really it was ridiculous for case manufacturers to start including usb3 without using the proper header...that was using a stop gap solution. however, if we moved away from the idea that motherboard headers have to be pinouts, and cant just be replaced with plugs, then we could have avoided this whole mess altogether.
Seems like Lian Li or Cooler Masters doesn't have this whole "mess" with their 2011 released/refreshed cases. And guys like Corsair has detachable front panel design.

Antec? Whats the point of refreshing P183 to V3 with only a stop gap solution. Theres no P183 USB 3 front port assembly up in their store/website unlike Lian Li et al.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Consider that Antec is not likely to design an entirely new part for such a small update when it won't apply to all hardware. Until USB3 headers are standard on all motherboards, you won't see most mainstream case makers including headers that cant be used as such.

And given that Antec already makes the "loopback cable" for other cases, it's a cost-effective way of adding compatibility to the most amount of users for the least amount of cost.

Maybe in another year or two well see USB3 standard on all front panels, but it's not like it's a prolific right now.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:19 pm

vitaminc wrote:
Queelis wrote:

Eh p183v3 has an incomptent implimentation of usb 3 - you need to wire a connector to the back panel ports instead of motherboard. A ridiculously half ass attempt of an p183 revision.
Um, that's how front USB 3.0 works on almost every case out there. Most USB 3.0 motherboards only have a couple ports on the back panel and none available as internal headers. It's not a half-assed solution, it's a solution that's designed to work with 99% of the USB 3.0 capable motherboards currently available.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:27 pm

For those that have a USB 3 header on their motherboard, Asus makes a rear slot bracket that can be used instead to connect the P183 V3 front panel USB 3 input directly to the motherboard (at least it works with Asus motherboards, not sure if that is a standard USB 3 motherboard connector).
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=p ... ail&p=3536
Obviously, this is designed to to be placed on the rear or the case, but looks like the slot plate can be unscrewed and used for the purpose of connecting to front panel with the cable supplied with the Antec P183 V3 without having to run any cables outside the case. Or you can use it to add two more USB 3 inputs on the back of your case and use one to loop back to the front panel input.

BTW, are there any USB 3 devices out there yet? Does anyone have one yet?

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:49 am

Until we see USB 3 standard on all front panels this might work well:

BYTECC UH-430 Super-Speed USB 3.0 4-ports Internal 3.5" Bay HUB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:20 am

Arbutus wrote:Until we see USB 3 standard on all front panels this might work well:

BYTECC UH-430 Super-Speed USB 3.0 4-ports Internal 3.5" Bay HUB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
I don't see how that helps since you still need to run the USB cable to the back of case and plug into rear external USB3 port. What they want is a cable that plugs into the motherboard USB3 socket without running any cables on the outside of case (even in the rear), which is what I provided (at least for ASUS mb's) in my post above.

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:47 am

I am responding to the Original Poster:
bburk wrote:New MB I am planning to get has a USB3 header on it. Is there any easy way to put USB3 connectors in the front of a P183?
I have a Limited-Edition Black Anodized SPCR/Antec co-branded P180 and don't expect to replace it for at least another 5 years. The drive bay adapter works for me.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:24 am

m0002a wrote: BTW, are there any USB 3 devices out there yet? Does anyone have one yet?
There's a few :wink:

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:56 am

CA_Steve wrote:
m0002a wrote: BTW, are there any USB 3 devices out there yet? Does anyone have one yet?
There's a few :wink:
I guess I should have explicitly excluded those that already have eSATA versions when I asked if there are any USB3 devices.

fumino

Post by fumino » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:54 pm

forgot to post this last week when i saw it. click through for product page.
ive seen similar adapters in the past for usb2.0 headers. it makes sense for them to start showing up now, with the front panel usb cabling situation thats been happening to all the manufacturers.

Conchis

Post by Conchis » Fri May 20, 2011 6:59 am

I tried a search to see if someone else has posted this and found nothing. I just received a P183 case from Newegg and noticed that it has a front USB 3.0 port on it. Is this a brand new change in their product?

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Fri May 20, 2011 7:05 am

It's the P183 V3 and it is fairly new, but I wouldn't say brand new.

oracleredux

Post by oracleredux » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:12 am

Another neat converter (similar to the Lian Li) for any UK based readers is available from Scan.
On my P183 I plan to remove the PCI bracket from the USB3 Module that comes with certain Asus motherboards. I'll then connect the P183 front panel USB3 cable to that module internally.