Question about installing an SSD in an Antec P183 V3 Case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Ozkar

Question about installing an SSD in an Antec P183 V3 Case

Post by Ozkar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:49 am

The Antec P183 V3 has holes to mount an SSD, but they come with the silicone grommets. I tried using the long screws that go through the grommets into the drive, but those screws don't fit the SSD (A Crucial C300). I thought maybe removing the silicone grommets would help, but then I noticed that I can't use any screws without the silicone grommets.

How do I install this drive, then? Where do I get the right screws?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Re: Question about installing an SSD in an Antec P183 V3 Cas

Post by andyb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:28 pm

To be honest you dont actually need to screw an SSD down unless you need to move the machine, the only real risk of simply not bothering with screws is that the SSD may become unplugged or move around and damage itself or other components if the machine is moved.

If you are not going to move it, dont bother, just tuck it away somewhere, anywhere, it doesnt need any airflow at all.

Andy

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:00 pm

I don't have the P183, so I can't answer your direct question. But, like andyb says, you don't really need those screws. If you don't want to let the thing sit loose, use a piece of that tacky stuff you can hang posters up with:

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Adhesive-P ... 679&sr=8-3

Or, you could even try some velcro:

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Heavy-Duty ... 891&sr=1-1

(I think that's the right stuff).

cheers

Post by cheers » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:00 pm

i use duct tape. works fine.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:10 pm

You should have a small plastic bag labeled "For 2.5 HDD only" with 4 narrow screws (with the built-in washers for use with silicone grommets). These are much smaller than the similar looking screws provided for 3.5" drives. Whether or not they fit your SSD, I don't know.

I would not let the SSD just lay there, since if it fell on to the mb, it could short out something. I guess tape is better than nothing. You can also buy a SSD mounting bracket.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:02 pm

There are lots of 3.5" to 2.5" adapter boards to choose from for the "best" solution. I use one that has room for two 2.5" devices.

But for way less money, get a bit of velcro that has stickum pre-applied.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:25 pm

cmthomson wrote:There are lots of 3.5" to 2.5" adapter boards to choose from for the "best" solution. I use one that has room for two 2.5" devices.
Retail boxes for Intel SSD's come with a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter and screws. Strangely, the Intel 510 SSD (6 Gb/s) came with a SATA 3 Gb/s cable in the box. Fortunately, my Asus motherboard came with a 6 Mb/s SATA cable. Not sure if there is a difference, but both cables were labeled as either 3 Gb or 6 Gb SATA.

fumino

Post by fumino » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:46 pm

theres no difference in the cables.

that doesn't stop some companies from charging more for a label with a 6 instead of a 3 though.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:59 pm

fumino wrote:theres no difference in the cables.

that doesn't stop some companies from charging more for a label with a 6 instead of a 3 though.
My Asus Motherboard came with both 3 Gb and 6 Gb SATA cables (in separate packaging). Obviously, I did not pay any extra for the cables. Maybe they did that so people would not RMA the product claiming that 6 Gb cables were missing.

Speaking of RMA's, on my new Seasonic X-660, there was wrapper around the PSU explaining that the fan did not spin until the actual power draw reached 20% (or whatever) of the rated power (which presumably members of SPCR already know). From reading the NewEgg reviews of various Seasonic X-Series PSU's, it was obvious that a lot people RMA'ed their PSU because the fan did not spin, or claimed it was DOA. Being a manufacturer/retailer is not always as easy as some assume.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:46 am

fumino wrote:theres no difference in the cables.

There may not be a difference between sata cables but any type of cable can be defective or poorly designed.

Take it how you will but I've seen multiple reviews on newegg where someone received a cable with a hard drive or ssd and the included cable didn't let the drive work at full speed but another cable did.

Just doing a quick google search I also saw mention of a cable where the connector plastic warped due to heat and another where the cable sheath was so thin/flexible that the cable was damaged while tying it with a band or tie of some sort for cable management.

Anything can be screwed up when it's farmed out to the lowest bidder.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:21 am

cmthomson wrote:But for way less money, get a bit of velcro that has stickum pre-applied.
Velcro is your friend!

The adhesive back will degrade over time, though. I've used tiny squares (1cm or less) of it to soft mount case fans. After a year or more, I've had a square let go on the rear fan. Might be the exhaust heat accelerating the degradation plus the vertical mount. Mounted horizontally, with a larger piece of velcro, it'd probably last a LOT longer.