What size picoPSU for my new HTPC?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rkidday

What size picoPSU for my new HTPC?

Post by rkidday » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:19 am

Hi, I've finally settled on a new HTPC system after much advice from you lot... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62661

Here is it:
  • Moneual Moncaso 320
  • HDD - 1TB Western Digital Green
  • SSD - Intel 40GB 320 Series MLC 2.5" 25nm
  • Pentium G620 2.6GHz S1155 (65W TDP)
  • MSI H67MA-E35-B3
  • Kingston 2GB DDR3 1066MHz
  • Blue-ray optical drive
  • Case fan (maybe?)

My question is about which picoPSU to go for and more importantly what power rating I'll need. It's been suggested that 90W would be enough (eg. http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-90-XLP) but would it be more sensible to go with 120W. Also what is the relationship between picoPSU and power brick, how much higher does the power brick need to be rated to?

Does anyone have a recommended source of these components in the UK?

Thanks.

boost

Re: What size picoPSU for my new HTPC?

Post by boost » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:37 am

The maximum system power consumption for a system like yours was 79W at SPCR and 68W at XBitlabs. A 90W Pico PSU will be fine. A 90W Pico PSU can handle at most a 90W powerbrick, you can choose a lower rated power brick one for improved performance.
LinITX in the UK carries Pico PSU, I haven't dealt with them personally. They have an inexpensive 90W bundle by FSP. Or you could get a 12V 90W Pico PSU and a 12V 7A (84W) FSP brick for slightly more.
A case fan would be overkill. If the CPU cooler is too loud, you could swap it for a Big Shuriken.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:32 am

Gotta agree, a 90w should be plenty. I'm getting away with a 65w in the isk300 right now with my Core i3-2100 system, seems like it'll be fine since the only time it's even gotten close was doing a full prime95 + furmark test, which is never going to be realistic load on my system.

HFat

Post by HFat » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:53 pm

A Shuriken would be more overkill than a case fan. You might not need a case fan but adding a fan shoud be cheaper, quicker and less wasteful than a beefy heatsink.
If your board has a decent fan controller, it could keep the stock heatsink reasonably quiet as long as the case is well ventilated. Some cases don't need a case fan for that as long as you keep to relatively slow CPUs like the G620. Your case has vents but I don't know if they'd be satisfactory. I'd try without a case fan first and see what results you get. Then add a case fan if needed.
You can always underclock the CPU. That would reduce your cooling needs a bit.

SevenFour

Post by SevenFour » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:05 am

One more consideration for the picoPsu choice is that if you get the PicoPSU-120-WI-25 you can select from a wider range of power bricks. It might be both easier and cheaper to find a 19V power brick.

boost

Post by boost » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:46 am

SevenFour wrote:One more consideration for the picoPsu choice is that if you get the PicoPSU-120-WI-25 you can select from a wider range of power bricks. It might be both easier and cheaper to find a 19V power brick.
Specialized retailers carry more 12V than 19V bricks. BUT a lot of notebooks use 19V bricks, too. If the connector is the same you can use one of those and they're easy to find. I find 19V bricks a bit cheaper than 12V bricks of the same power, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:55 am

I want to point out that the brick doesn't have to match the picoPSU regarding capacity. The picoPSU can "handle" any brick as long as the input voltage is within tolerance.