How to make my case quiet

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

silk186

How to make my case quiet

Post by silk186 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:22 am

I have 4 fans, 2 x 220mm and 2 x 120mm (including cpu cooler)

Unfortunately due to ram clearance I have the CPU and exhaust fans facing each other.

My problem is that my fans seemingly rev up at idle, when I'm trying to sleep. How can I control this. I would like my case fans to all run silent and my cpu fan throttle according to temperature. I'm trying to use speedfan but it is a bit complicated. Is there an easier to use program or a good guide for it? Any other suggestions?

Deucal

Re: How to make my case quiet

Post by Deucal » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:34 pm

You can't put the BIOS control on Cool'N'Quiet mode?

If the bios is ramping them up on idle then something is strange. You could log the CPU temp and see it there is a spike that accounts for the strange fan behavior.

Or you could manually control the fans with a fan controller unit.

silk186

Post by silk186 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:42 pm

Isn't Cool'N'Quiet an AMD program.
I'm running an intel CPU, is it compatable? I think i'm running something similar from intel.

Deucal

Post by Deucal » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:59 am

you could set the fan speed manually in the bios, or buy a fan controller. If the fans are on auto heat sensitive then something is heating up the computer.
What programs are you running at night?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:35 pm

silk186 wrote:Unfortunately due to ram clearance I have the CPU and exhaust fans facing each other.
As in they are only a few centimeters apart? It could be that the two fans are competing for air => confused/poor airflow causing the thermal rise/fan rpm rise at idle. If it were me, I'd trade in the RAM for low profile and place the CPU cooler on the opposite side of the exhaust fan. Or offset the cpu fan a bit and make it fit above the ram.

If you don't want to do that, then, perhaps you need to have rear to front airflow.
- get rid of the exhaust fan.
- Make a cardboard/plastic vent from the CPU cooler fan to the exhaust grill and face the fan so it's pulling air into the case.
- turn your front fan so it's an exhaust.

If you get too much negative pressure, might want to make the top fan an input as well. Never really understood the benefit of top fans...

Once you get a gpu card in there, you might need to revisit.