Any better ITX than SG06? PC-Q07, Q27, Node 304, Coolcube?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

quest_for_silence

Re: Any better ITX than SG06? Maybe PC-Q07 or Node 304 or PC

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:32 am

thierry. wrote:I just need the final "wife's approval" for the purchase order.

From what you wrote I don't think she wouldn't approve (anyway take note that aesthetically-wise you may also submit some alternatives, like Cooltek U-2, Xigmatek Nebula and so on, to use in conjunction with a Pico PSU).

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:20 am

Another suggestion, a 13 l case: http://www.raijintek.com/en/products_de ... oductID=17

It may not have the best ventilation for a graphics card, but I guess it won't matter here.
Plenty of room for a big cooler and a regular PSU, especially when no graphics card is used.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:26 am

thierry. wrote:I'm removing (again!?) from my list the Node 304 for the second time. Hopefully, it's the last time and I stop bothering with my endless questions. :D

It will be the Cooltek Coolcube, picoPSU 90W and the Kotetsu (fan mounted on the back plate if I can)
If its the one that its perforated on the side? i would also check Noctua NH-C14, it has 103mm height clearance + the fan (25mm), my guess is you can zip tie the one of the fans to top of the case, the problem with the C14 from what i remember is that uses 3pin noctua 14mm fans, weather you motherboard will be able to undervolt it via BIOS idk, but there is Noctua REDUX 140mm that i know there is PWM version. Just an idea =)

Btw can the cube fit 2ssds and 1 mechancial? from what i can see it can fit 2, you will have to veclo strap or dual side tape the last ssd.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:44 am

Abula wrote:
thierry. wrote:but there is Noctua REDUX 140mm that i know there is PWM version. Just an idea =)
450rpm +- 20% min speed... need also the LNA adapter.

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:52 am

Thanks Quest, you are right. I better print some more pictures so she can choose the look and color. (In the end, it's all what is important for her. Just as for our car. :lol: but it makes simple decisions)

Thanks Mats, I will add the Metis to my print. Maybe she'll like some colors.
(I would love to have these former red Lian Li cases !! It made them special and not just a black like everyone.)
It's a bit longer than the Coolcube (and as you said, I don't use graphics card)

Good eye, Abula. It's the one with perforated side.
And there is only room for 2 disks inside. Indeed, I'm planning to stick one SSD on the side. I have a roll of dual side tape from my previous computer. Lol, I only use a small piece for my previous SSD on the side. It will last me for at least another 100 SSDs to stick. :mrgreen:

Edit: these soooo red Lian Li 8)
Last edited by thierry. on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:05 am

thierry. wrote:And there is only room for 2 disks inside

You may also use a 2,5" mechanical disk and an adaptor like the Scythe Twin Mounter, if you mind.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:11 am

Btw just for reference, seems gigabyte is adopting the Asus design on their mini ITX, about the CPU socket placement, GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI, the only thing that i dont like about the Asus or for this matter the gigabyte, is the placement of the 24pin right next to the memory, that depeding on the caps and the memory might touch or not allow the install, so you might need a 24pin extension.

Last edited by Abula on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:12 am

I discover new thing every day, here.

With this twin mounter, the 2 SSDs are in contact? It's not heating too much?
It's not clear on pictures

Abula,
is it a good news?
The Asus placement is better? (or maybe better associated in the different casings, so that Gigabyte had to follow?)

(And H97N is cheaper than H87N. All good to me.)

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:15 am

thierry. wrote:Abula,
is it a good news?
The Asus placement is better? (or maybe better associated in the different casings, so that Gigabyte had to follow?)
Hard to say its better, i edited to say one of the downsides. But its better for certain cases, like Fractal Design Node 304, Fenix Prodigy, and i would believe the Corsair 250, in your case with the cube idk for sure, i like more when the 24 pin is not in the way of anything for picoPSU mount, but has to be checked with the rest of the components.

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:39 am

Ok, I understand the possible issue.

I will see in the case, how it aligns the heatsink and the back opening.

thierry. wrote:(And H97N is cheaper than H87N. All good to me.)
I add the 24 pin extension to my list. It is still cheaper than H87N. :wink:

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:41 am

thierry. wrote:I discover new thing every day, here.

With this twin mounter, the 2 SSDs are in contact? It's not heating too much?
First of all I named it as it was the first one which came off my mind.
Then, no, it won't heat too much the drives, unless you use enterprise-class drives like Constellation and the likes.
But above all, there are lots of options for adapting 2.5" drives into a 3.5" bay (Silverstone, Startech, lots of), so mainly you have to carefully look for (in case) the one which matches your actual mounting holes.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:43 am

He's putting all the adapter cable for picoPSU, inside the case. So it can't be unplugged by accident.
by adapter cable do you mean the brick? that will put a lot more heat inside the case. ive tried it.

my vote is q-07, great airflow imo.

you could easily stick the ssd's anywhere with some velcro or 3m double stick tape.

or there's ones like this, but hold 2 2.5 drives and a slim optical. (i cant find that exact link right now, but this is close)
http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/p ... 16-215-359
Last edited by xan_user on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:47 am

Abula wrote:
thierry. wrote:PicoPSU 160XT + brick 190W: Kurzlink: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00JS5N8SO
Would it be enough for my i5 + 2 SSD + 1HDD? (no discret graphics)
It should be, if you check my signature for the CamMI build, you will see a picoPSU 150XT + 150W brck

I often forget that picoPSUs have a different rating system than ATX PSUs: as far as you know, Abula, would the picoPSU 160XT be a safer bet, even with a relatively frugal Core i5-44X0?

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:46 am

thierry. wrote:Thanks Mats, I will add the Metis to my print. Maybe she'll like some colors.
(I would love to have these former red Lian Li cases !! It made them special and not just a black like everyone.)
It's a bit longer than the Coolcube (and as you said, I don't use graphics card)
Nice colors, and decent price.

http://geizhals.de/at/?cat=gehatx&asd=on&asuch=metis

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:48 am

xan_user wrote:
He's putting all the adapter cable for picoPSU, inside the case. So it can't be unplugged by accident.
by adapter cable do you mean the brick? that will put a lot more heat inside the case. ive tried it.
No, don't worry. I'm not thinking of hiding all the adapter in the case. :mrgreen:
I meant, the last part of the cable.
Looking at the picture, it seems inside, rather than plugged to the back plate. (picture 2 below)

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:22 pm

And the winner is.....??

Not the Xigmatek Nebula => "too fancy" she said.

Not the Raijintek Metis => "why these colors? I prefer black"

Not the Jonsbo U2 => "it's taller than other. I prefer small if you can fit everything inside"

Not the Q07, because CoolCube is smaller.

She chose the Cooltek CoolCube, in black. Nothing fancy, nothing big.

Looking back at all this selection, the Metis looks nice but I am using a picoPSU, so it's a lot of empty space where the PSU was vertically positioned. And it has the case fan.
I also liked the Q07 and Q27, but we don't use DVDs, there is no need to have the extra 5-6cm in height.

Xan_user, you liked the Q07 for its airflow. I hope I can achieve something good with the Coolcube. I will see when I receive the case and the Kotetsu.

Many thanks to all of you here, for your precious help! I could not decide better.

Oh, we still have a question for Abula
quest_for_silence wrote:as far as you know, Abula, would the picoPSU 160XT be a safer bet, even with a relatively frugal Core i5-44X0?
Amazon.at
picoPSU 80 + 120W adapter = 55€
picoPSU 150 XT + 120W adapter = 75€

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:03 pm

thierry. wrote:picoPSU 80 + 120W adapter = 55€
picoPSU 150 XT + 120W adapter = 75€
The 80 should actually offer to a contemporary rig just 48W continuous, with 84W peak for 60 secs.
It may be enough for your usage pattern, but the 150XT has 96W continuous, 120W peak.

Take also note that at max continuative power any picoPSU require forced ventilation, according to the manuals.
I've often read that operating at only 12V, any picoPSU generates the nominal power, but I didn't read the same information in the manuals: that's why I asked for hands-on experience.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:35 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
Abula wrote:
thierry. wrote:PicoPSU 160XT + brick 190W: Kurzlink: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00JS5N8SO
Would it be enough for my i5 + 2 SSD + 1HDD? (no discret graphics)
It should be, if you check my signature for the CamMI build, you will see a picoPSU 150XT + 150W brck

I often forget that picoPSUs have a different rating system than ATX PSUs: as far as you know, Abula, would the picoPSU 160XT be a safer bet, even with a relatively frugal Core i5-44X0?
Well its hard to say, from the us.hardware.info Intel Core i7 4770K / Core i5 4670K / Core i5 4430 review: Haswell test tests my 4770K and the in question 4430, the 4770K has a 94.6W and the 4430 has 72.1W. That said cinebench is just a benchmark no where near what prime95 would tax cpu, in my personal test with CAMMI build, i manage to reach 150W on prime95, so thats a big difference toward what the chart reflects on cinebench, but guessing a delta of 22W, i would assume the consumption of the 4430 on my same setup should be around 120W under prime95, this scenario is very unlikely to happen on the real world, but i personally would go into a 150XT + 150W brick or at least 120W brick (that's if it doesn't have a fan).

What i expect on therry build is that its going to idle around 25-30W, browsing and doing usual day to day things maybe 30-50W, probably will be under stress below 100W, unless heavy encoding or transcoding, which in some cases can reach close to prime95 numbers.
I also liked the Q07 and Q27, but we don't use DVDs, there is no need to have the extra 5-6cm in height.
Sometimes the optical drives slots are useful, for example in all my builds in my siganture except the ServeMi, all use optical bays to install hdds, in some cases to avoid having hdd cages obstruct airflow, in other to able to add fans to cool the drives, etc. Overall while i havent installed an optical drive on more than 5 years, i still find the slots useful. I also like the Q07 or Q11 but thats just because i have work with them, the cooltek looks like a good option as long as you can have some airflow with a fan attached to draw fresh air in, let the rest of the holes take the air out of positive pressure.

thierry.

Post by thierry. » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:10 am

To be safe, I'll take the 150 XT + 120W brick.
(without heavy encoding, we should be good)

Abula, I'm curious,
on the Q07 where would you put the case fan, for positive pressure flow?
On the perforated side panel? Or the back panel? because the bottom and front, are not perforated (like the Q08 and Q11)

On the Coolcube, the bottom is perforated but it's the only place for the drives. (I see what you mean by "useful slot even without optical drive" :wink: )
Or I add the case fan on the back plate, where the PSU was supposed to be.

Edit:

Anybody knows about the brand Sharkoon for casings?
It seems German.
http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/ca-i
This CA-I looks like a clone of the Coolcube. Same size. But it has an opening on the top and a 120mm fan.
Which would answer to my previous questions for airflow. (Although this would not necessarily be a positive pressure)