advise on cooling of a new build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

trogerarc

advise on cooling of a new build

Post by trogerarc » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:33 pm

Hello,

I would like to have a silent cooling system for my new build which will consist of the following main components:

mobo: asrock h97m pro4
CPU: Intel core 15 4590
graphic card: Palit gtx 750 Ti KalmX
memory: Kingston HyperX 2x8 GB
storage: WD10EUTX 1 TB & Samsung 128 GB SSD

I'm looking for a case, power supply, CPU cooler and case cooling with a low noise output ideally with a total budget of $ 120-150.

Thanks for your help in advance!

NeilBlanchard

Re: advise on cooling of a new build

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:49 pm

Welcome to SPCR,

That is a tall order for that budget. The case or the power supply each could blow through that and the CPU cooler is a big chunk, as well.

I assume you have gone through the recommended lists here?

bastiaan

Post by bastiaan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:01 pm

For cheap coolers I would suggest this budget coolers review as a starting point. Perhaps the $17 Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 would be a good match, or even the Logisys if your budget can handle an extra fan.

Now for the PSU. According to Guru3D, a system with this GPU will draw up to 200W. My instinct is to recommend the Be Quiet! Straight Power E10 400W at $75 (or the Pure Power L8 300W at $45 if the E10-400W is too pricey), but these PSUs don't seem to be generally available in the US. Perhaps someone can suggest a US alternative...

But supposing you could get the L8 300W, that would leave $60-$90 for a case and some fans. SPCR has ample information on fans, so you should be able to find something both cheap and quiet. Of course the case can't be anything fancy, but there are many cheap cases on the market so there is surely something that does not act too much as a wind tunnel.

I hope that helps. I suspect with this budget you can't get a system with a discrete GPU silent, but it should at least be doable to get something reasonably quiet.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:29 pm

Assuming you are in North Am -

Seasonic G360 ~$60 or SeaSonic S12II 380W ~$50
Scythe Kotetsu ~$40 or Coolermaster Hyper 212 ~$30?
Deepcool Tesseract case ~$30

Keep your fingers crossed that the motherboard has controls good enough to quiet the case fans.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:06 am

I would suggest to either go with Asus motherboard with FanXpert or if you prefer the AsRock, then test how it controls the 3pin fans.... but from what i remember its presets on bios, and there is a software based setup that i havent tested, might be fine or not, but if not test PWM fans, from what i seen asrock in most motherboards have 2 PWM fan headers, one can be used for the CPU cooler, and the other binded to a PWM fan splitter to all the case fans.... but if you can go with Asus i would prefer this route for a more simple way of controlling whatever fan you own.

For CPU cooler, i agree with Mike, i think the Kotestu is a great match for haswell quads, and price wise is one the best offerings. For PSU, i like Seasonic G series, 360/450/550, whatever fit your budget. For case look for sales of the Fractal Design Define R4, now that the R5 is coming, should be clearing in most stores.

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:30 pm

As far as I know, all Asrock motherboards for Haswell CPUs (including two in my signature) control 3-pin fans as delicately as 4-pin PWM fans. It is possible to vary the input voltage from 1% to 100% with a step size of 1%. I constantly get the impression that Asrock motherboards are not properly represented in SPCR and its forum. Surely, fine granularity BIOS fan control is the most important feature of motherborads for silience seekers. I actually feel that SPCR forum is making a biased impression when it comes to motherboards simply because many people here haven't "ever" used Asrock motherboards for Haswell CPUs.
Abula wrote:I would suggest to either go with Asus motherboard with FanXpert or if you prefer the AsRock, then test how it controls the 3pin fans....

trogerarc

Post by trogerarc » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:02 pm

Many thanks for your valuable feedbacks. I've been considering a lot, read some more reviews and worked hard to be able to extend the budget. I think I'll go with this build. What do you think about?

Asrock H97M PRO4
Palit GTX750Ti
Intel Core i5-4590
Scythe Kotetsu
Seasonic 450W SS-G450 OR Seasonic 400W Platinum Fanless SS-400FL2??
Eizo FS2434-BK 60Hz 23.8"
Kingston 2x8GB DDR3 1600 MHz HyperX Fury Black
Western Digital 2TB 64MB SATA3 WD20EURX
Samsung 250GB EVO MZ-7TE250BW SSD
Cooler Master Silencio 550L RC-550L-KKN1

Since the case has its fans operating and there is a noise of screen, too, it's obvious to me that the build won't run completely silent. Wondering if using the fanless psu would considerably reduce the overall noise level or it's negligable.