Does anyone use alternative to AMD Catalyst Software Suite?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Max Dread

Does anyone use alternative to AMD Catalyst Software Suite?

Post by Max Dread » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:15 am

Hi all

I've always used nVidia up until now....

But I need to replace the GC in my Music PC and have an ATI (AMD) HD 5450 to put in. I've gone to the site for the latest drivers and have come across a big fat juicy c200MB download for AMD's Catalyst Software Suite. I've had a little look into alternatives, but they all seem to be quite old now (things like ATITools).

So I wanted to check with other ATI/AMD users whether you have had any conflicts or unnecessary resource hogging when you install the Catalyst Software Suite (what used to be Catalyst Control Centre)? Should I just go ahead and install the whole thing, or is there a better way, such as installing the drivers only and using something else to control the card's settings?

Many thanks

Max

PS - the downloads page shows to options, both revision 14.4, and both dated 04/25/2014. But one is Display Driver ver. 9.00.100 and the other is ver. 9.00.300.300. Anyone know what the different is and which to use?

dhanson865

Re: Does anyone use alternative to AMD Catalyst Software Sui

Post by dhanson865 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:45 pm

You don't mention your OS so I'll just give the answer as though it's Windows 7 x64 as that is pretty common.

The current full package is Omega (14.12) 288MB
The current beta package is 14.11.2 Beta 273MB

I'd just run the current Omega build. Any modern CPU/RAM setup* won't notice it's overhead.

You also have the option of downloading older drivers if you don't game you'll probably be fine with any driver newer than 2010 (5450 was released in 2010)

14.9 9/29/2014 273 MB
14.4 4/25/2014 260 MB
13.12 12/18/2013 203 MB
13.9 9/18/2013 197 MB
13.4 5/29/2013 135 MB
13.1 1/17/2013 146 MB

the ones from before 2013 are actually larger so probably no reason to go back any further in search of smaller file sizes.

*I'll call it modern if it has multiple ghz states, dynamically over/underclocks, has at least 2 CPU cores, and you have at least twice the minimum ram for the OS to run. Doesn't have to have tons of cores or run at the fastest ghz, just something relatively common from the last 5 or so years.

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Sorry, my apologies for the oversight. I am on WinXP SP3.

I will update at some point to Win 7 (or newer perhaps), but not in the near future as I just have too much on...

Would still be interested to hear about any alternatives to CCC if they exist nowadays. Otherwise I guess I'll just see how I get on with CCC; although that will mean installing .NET Framework 4 first as I currently only have Release 2.

Cheers

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:01 pm

if you are on XP 32 bit they stopped doing AMD drivers for XP at 14.4 (April/2014)

some of the older installers let you uncheck catalyst during the install and you can run the driver without it in those cases, the newer installs require it.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... e&rev=13.4

13.4 for XP 32 bit is only 95 MB. Really not that big of a package compared to the Win 7 version.

I don't think you are going to find a problem with 13.4 or 14.4 if you do a custom install and turn off the features you don't want/need.
Last edited by dhanson865 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Max Dread wrote:
PS - the downloads page shows to options, both revision 14.4, and both dated 04/25/2014. But one is Display Driver ver. 9.00.100 and the other is ver. 9.00.300.300. Anyone know what the different is and which to use?
The 2nd version on that page is just for AMD Radeon™ R7 260X and AMD Radeon HD 7790 if you don't have one of those cards you would use the top upload 9.00.100

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:26 pm

You've been a phenomenally fantastic help! Thank you so much.

If you don't mind (although obviously this goes out to everyone), I do have another question or two...

1. If I went for an older install which allowed ,e to install just the driver, could I run the card with JUST the driver? Would I be able to use Windows to choose standard settings like resolution, bit-depth, refresh rate, and how to configure dual monitors? Or is some software definitely needed for such things?

2. If software is needed, what CCC alternatives are there? is ATITools too old? Anything else out there?

For the record, my PC is mainly used for audio, but I do surf the net as well and watch youtube videos etc.

Thanks again :D

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:11 pm

If you installed a driver only install you can still use dual monitors and set resolutions like normal.

CCC lets you do color correction, 3D game quality settings overides, overclocking, fan control, stuff that isn't required but can make things slightly better. 99% of the extra settings are never touched even by the serious user, default settings or in game settings are good enough for my use.

Oh and the big feature in CCC that people do play around with is Eyefinity. But only if you have more than 2 monitors. You can have more than 2 monitors without CCC but the CCC allows you to use the multimonitor setups in ways that windows won't do on its own.

the only thing the old tools let you do that the old drives wouldn't do is change fan speeds. The new CCC does every thing the old stand alone tools used to do.

I haven't bothered to use the alternate tools since I got a HD5xxx card.

I still use speedfan for monitoring and controlling case/CPU fans but I run a fanless graphics card so I'm not trying to control the GPU fan speed. :)

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:21 pm

Again, that's all amazingly helpful. I don't think I need CCC based on that. I might consider a third monitor one day, but that is WAY down the line (if ever). If I don't have to install CCC then I'd rather not, and as an added bonus I won't have to install NET.Framework either. I like to keep things clean where possible, especially if I would not have a need for the "extras" something like CCC offers.

So that brings me to the next question....

Do you/does anyone know which was the last release from ATI/AMD which allowed you to choose "driver only" during installation?

Cheers

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:02 pm

And in addition to that last question, I wondered what people think of this approach that I found whilst researching:

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows ... l#post4856

Cheers

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:02 am

The method from your link is totally legit. You'll end up with a driver only installation, regardless of AMD wants you to have installed.

Besides, as long as you do not run into any problems using an older driver does no harm.

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:02 am

Great! In that case, I think I will go through the procedure as per the link i posted above. Seems like CCC will offer nothing I need, so I don't see the point in installing it AND .NET Framework 4 if there's no reason to.

Thanks for all the help. :D

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:12 am

Saying that though, how/where would I change the dual monitor configuration (dual view, clone, horizontal span, etc) if I only install the drivers?

Cheers

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:08 am

Yes you can! :lol:

Since these functions are part of windows, everything will be configurable.

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:17 am

That's great news, but I cannot see in XP where you can configure the dual screens... Can anyone guide me to it please?

Cheers

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:31 am

OK, I can now get to the Display Settings, and I can now see how to change the dual monitor config to horizontal, vertical and extended desktop. But I cannot find an option for cloned displays (same on both monitors). From what little reading I have done so far, it would seem that this might not be possible using Windows XP alone. So perhaps CCC will be needed after all. Unless anyone knows how to clone the display in XP?

Cheers

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:50 am

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307873

try this.

Besides, stop using XP. Those warnings are no jokes, get a copy of Windows 7.

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:21 am

Max Dread wrote:And in addition to that last question, I wondered what people think of this approach that I found whilst researching:

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows ... l#post4856

Cheers
Hi all

As above, I am following the procedure for a driver only installation as per this sticky:

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows ... edure.html

I am stuck at Point 6, where it says to click on Display Adapters. I am on XP and therefore do not have that option. At least I think that's the reason! What I do have is two different options listed under "Other Devices". One says "PCI Device" and the other says "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". They both refer to the same PCI Slot and I am guessing one of them is what I need to use to point to the driver. I just don't know which one seeing as they both point to the same thing...

If anyone could help that would be great.

Cheers

Max

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:21 am

Hi again

Following some advice from elsewhere, for now I am using the "Video Controller" option.

So, onwards with the procedure!

I have right clicked Video Controller and chosen Update Driver.
When Windows asks if it can connect to Windows Update, I have said No.
The next screen asks whether I want to "Install the SW automatically" or "Install from a specific location". I have chosen the latter.
I am then presented with this screen:
3 new.JPG
Presumably browsing is the right option, so I browse for the folder created in previous steps, but when I select it the OK button is still greyed out. As I delve into the subfolders, the OK button remains greyed out.

There are some folders in the Drivers folder but most of these leave the OK button greyed. In fact, only two folders will allow me to hit OK: XP6A_INF and XP_INF:
6.jpg
Am I barking up the wrong tree completely? Is it a case of the procedure not being possible in XP?

Any help most gratefully received at this stage.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:07 am

For future reference - in case anyone else stumbles across this thread trying to achieve the same thing - I managed to get it sorted. Please PM or reply to the thread if you want me to talk you through how I did it. Cheers.