I bought Hadron Air and it slowly driving me insane.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

banditas

I bought Hadron Air and it slowly driving me insane.

Post by banditas » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:15 am

I love the way hadron air looks but after using it for 6 months I can't stand it anymore and want to do something.
Hadron air uses very poor delta fan in their power supply and since it's kinda unique PSU there is no alternatives so entire case has to be changed.
Also blower type Nvidia 760 has to go or at least some after market cooler to be mounted on it. But what kind of aftermarket cooler would fit into mini itx cases?

At the moment the build looks like this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85N PHOENIX-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB mSATA Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card
Case: EVGA Hadron Mini ITX Tower Case w/500W Power Supply
Case Fan: Antec True Quiet 120 GREEN 35.3 CFM 120mm Fan
Case Fan: Antec True Quiet 120 GREEN 35.3 CFM 120mm Fan

I played a bit and came up with this upgrade:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (it's not an upgrade just really fell in love how quite this card is)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua NF-R8-1800 80mm Fan (2x)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Would this build work? I think Noctua CPU cooler should fit without issues or is there any better choice? How about case?
Also how would I connect two 80mm Noctua fans then I have just 2 fan headers (one for CPU and another one for 140mm case fan). Or does this Noctua fans come with molex adapter? If so will it run at very low speeds?

Pappnaas

Re: I bought Hadron Air and it slowly driving me insane.

Post by Pappnaas » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:55 am

Don't expect the 200mm fan of the V1 to be a lot quieter.

You are trying to pack a good amount of heat in a tiny case. Hence you should either reduce the heat or pick a larger (better ventilated) case.

You could take a look at the fractal Node 304 review in here.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:20 am

banditas wrote:Hadron air uses very poor delta fan in their power supply and since it's kinda unique PSU there is no alternatives so entire case has to be changed.

That SPI PSU is a standard server 1U design: you can swap it with a Seasonic SS-500L1U, which run fanless at 50% of the rated power (to be fair those small fans are usually screamers when they kick in).
Another alternative is to look into Noctua catalogue for a suitable fan swap (I don't know the relevant measures).

banditas wrote:CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler

You have nominally 140mm of clearance, maybe the Noctua NH-C14 can fit: if it doesn't fit both the Cryorig C1 (with an aftermarket fan) and the Noctua NH-L12 should offer you better results than the U9B.

banditas wrote:Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85N PHOENIX-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard

You should not have a good fan control with that mobo, I guess: if you can sell it and pick an ASUS H97 (or Z97) probably you won't regret of.

banditas wrote:Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case

Untested, unproven, so apparently not the best bet to start off.

banditas wrote:Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

It's a decent power supply but it's relatively loud over the about 150W DC draw (but that heavily depends of ambient temp, at 20-25°C its fan ramps up much slower: to be honest, I don't expect your case temperature will be particularly cool, given how densely packed that rig would be).

banditas wrote:Would this build work? I think Noctua CPU cooler should fit without issues or is there any better choice? How about case?
Also how would I connect two 80mm Noctua fans then I have just 2 fan headers (one for CPU and another one for 140mm case fan). Or does this Noctua fans come with molex adapter? If so will it run at very low speeds?

With your current mobo maybe it's preferable to use all PWM fans paired with a PWM splitter hooked on the CPU FAN header.
Btw, the Noctuas won't come with molex adapters, and they won't spin slow on simple molex adapters: they use their own LNA/ULNA adapters to be hooked on a mobo (or fan controller) headers.

banditas

Post by banditas » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:23 am

Pappnaas wrote:Don't expect the 200mm fan of the V1 to be a lot quieter.

You are trying to pack a good amount of heat in a tiny case. Hence you should either reduce the heat or pick a larger (better ventilated) case.

You could take a look at the fractal Node 304 review in here.
Yep, I got this case for my gf and 200mm is not quite though she uses asus motherboard and so can control it pretty well.
Also she has 750Ti PNY card and it's way louder than 200mm fan. Anyway, I would replace this 200mm with Noctua 140mm.

quest_for_silence wrote: That SPI PSU is a standard server 1U design: you can swap it with a Seasonic SS-500L1U, which run fanless at 50% of the rated power (to be fair those small fans are usually screamers when they kick in).
Another alternative is to look into Noctua catalogue for a suitable fan swap (I don't know the relevant measures).
Not really huge fan of doing this since honestly Hadron has fairly high temperatures and also probably would still need to use blower style GPU with this case and that's just makes it way too loud. Rather replace the whole thing. And there is people in lane willing to buy this crappy case from me.
quest_for_silence wrote:
You have nominally 140mm of clearance, maybe the Noctua NH-C14 can fit: if it doesn't fit both the Cryorig C1 (with an aftermarket fan) and the Noctua NH-L12 should offer you better results than the U9B.

Sadly can't find anywhere Cryorig C1 in canada.
quest_for_silence wrote: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85N PHOENIX-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
You should not have a good fan control with that mobo, I guess: if you can sell it and pick an ASUS H97 (or Z97) probably you won't regret of.

Nope, h97/z97 is just too expensive at the moment but I probably don't have a choice? This motherboard does fairly alright job with fans actually. And all 3 fans are pretty quite, just the issues with PSU/GPU.
quest_for_silence wrote: Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case
Untested, unproven, so apparently not the best bet to start off.

Here is hardocp reviewing it.
Also my gf has this case with another build and even running everything on stock (though with Asus motherboard) I am getting very low temps on silent fan profile
Asus h87/i3/tx3/750ti/ssd/silverstone 300w sfx. If not the load 750 ti pny it's fairly quite.
Personally I find it performs much better than SG05 and even Node 304.
Still I am open to suggestions. I just don't like Bitfenix Prodigy case. Also that Rosewill reviewed case by silentpcreview is very expensive in Canada. Any other choices?
quest_for_silence wrote:Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
It's a decent power supply but it's relatively loud over the about 150W DC draw (but that heavily depends of ambient temp, at 20-25°C its fan ramps up much slower: to be honest, I don't expect your case temperature will be particularly cool, given how densely packed that rig would be).

Thanks! Noted. Will look for something else. I am just really afraid of lots of coil whines people seem to have on fanless power supplies.
quest_for_silence wrote:With your current mobo maybe it's preferable to use all PWM fans paired with a PWM splitter hooked on the CPU FAN header.
Btw, the Noctuas won't come with molex adapters, and they won't spin slow on simple molex adapters: they use their own LNA/ULNA adapters to be hooked on a mobo (or fan controller) headers.
Wow thanks. I felt really dumb reading all the forums about the fans needed but you seem to put everything into place for me. By the way can I use any "non-simple" molex adapters to get slower speeds on those 80mm?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:58 am

banditas wrote:Sadly can't find anywhere Cryorig C1 in canada.

Can't you order from U.S.A.?

banditas wrote:Here is hardocp reviewing it.

I was referring to quietness: a GTX 750Ti is a 50-70W card which can be passively cooled, your system should draw 230-300W DC, a fairly higher load.

banditas wrote:Personally I find it performs much better than SG05 and even Node 304.

With reference to what?

banditas wrote:I am just really afraid of lots of coil whines people seem to have on fanless power supplies.

There are fanned options, like the BeQuiet Straight Power E10, or a Super-Flower based designs, like the EVGA G2.

banditas wrote:By the way can I use any "non-simple" molex adapters to get slower speeds on those 80mm?

Yes, you may look for a 5V/7V adapter, but you will loose in cooling prowess if you won't hook up them to the mobo (or an external fan controller).

banditas

Post by banditas » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:21 am

quest_for_silence wrote: Can't you order from U.S.A.?

Shipping Cryorig cooler from US is CAD$90 (and probably up to two weeks of waiting), while Noctua NH-U9B SE2 is just $60 and new Noctua NH-U9S $70 from my local store. I'd rather go with Noctua.
Though not many reviews about U9s and from reading documentation it doesn't feel like a good option.
quest_for_silence wrote:I was referring to quietness: a GTX 750Ti is a 50-70W card which can be passively cooled, your system should draw 230-300W DC, a fairly higher load.

I actually felt it's gonna consume way less but you are right it will be reaching probably 200W or so while gaming.
quest_for_silence wrote: With reference to what?

Keeping low temperatures while being very quite. I will get 140mm front and two rear 80mm noctua fans and will see how it performs. I feel like it's going to be dead quite and fairly freezing inside.
I am testing it on my girlfriend's build as she is using this thermaltake v1 case. I am still not conviced in buying one myself.
quest_for_silence wrote: There are fanned options, like the BeQuiet Straight Power E10, or a Super-Flower based designs, like the EVGA G2.
Sadly don't think I ever saw BeQuiet in North America. Back in Europe I am using pretty much only BeQuiet power supplies and they are amazing. Lowest rated EVGA G2 I could find was 750W. It's way too much for my needs. Don't you think?
quest_for_silence wrote: Yes, you may look for a 5V/7V adapter, but you will loose in cooling prowess if you won't hook up them to the mobo (or an external fan controller).
Thanks!

Also the problem with SPCR is that there is not many mini ITX cases reviewed. For example their two suggested builds with mini ITX are Prodigy (which is ugly as hell) and Rosewill W1-S but both of these cases are just huge over 30 liters which is almost micro ATX category. Also I understand that it is extremely hard to make a silent build in a mini itx case but still.

Only reasonably sized case is NCASE M1 Edition but it's over CAD$300 with shipping so it's out of question.
Node 304 is great case but I already had it for 3 years and I feel like changing something. And also I see no reason to have 6 hard drive caddies then all I do is use 1 large msata drive.

Anyway, I am really desperate to get rid off hadron air as it's too much of noise. But I'd prefer keeping everything under 30l as I move quite frequently between the cities.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:41 am

banditas wrote:Though not many reviews about U9s and from reading documentation it doesn't feel like a good option.

If you can afford it, pick the NH-C14, IMO/IME you won't ever regret. It deserves an ASUS 97 board, or a new fan (like a Noctua PWM Redux, well suited for your Hadron, color-wise).

banditas wrote:I actually felt it's gonna consume way less but you are right it will be reaching probably 200W or so while gaming.

I took those data from the ones recorded for our moderator CA_Steve rig (Core i5, GTX 760).

banditas wrote:Keeping low temperatures while being very quite.

I'm not confident about that.
If I were teasing, I'd say that I don't believe in miracles, and with reference to their past track record, Thermaltake is not well suited about those things like changing water in wine.
But as Hamlet said, there are lots of things on earth, so I will put on my best agnostic attitude about that Core V1.

banditas wrote:I will get 140mm front and two rear 80mm noctua fans and will see how it performs.

Not with the 750, though: you have to test under your scenario, then please come back and share.

banditas wrote:I feel like it's going to be dead quite and fairly freezing inside.

Is it probably because that rig won't draw that much?

banditas wrote:I am still not conviced in buying one myself.

Graphics driver are the same, drop in your GTX and test, it's way better than asking to the community.

banditas wrote:Sadly don't think I ever saw BeQuiet in North America.

Drop a mail to our host, MikeC, and ask him how to get one in Canada, as he got an E10-600 for review maybe he may help you. If you have some relatives in UK, let it have shipped through eBay Global Shipping Program, or try to buy it on any of the Amazon EU sites (providing fares were favourable).

banditas wrote:Lowest rated EVGA G2 I could find was 750W. It's way too much for my needs. Don't you think?

Actually no: as it's proposedly dirty cheap, its only drawback is the 190mm length: efficiency wise, at low loads (40W) is about as efficient as the proposed Seasonic G-550.

banditas wrote:Also the problem with SPCR is that there is not many mini ITX cases reviewed. For example their two suggested builds with mini ITX are Prodigy (which is ugly as hell) and Rosewill W1-S but both of these cases are just huge over 30 liters which is almost micro ATX category. Also I understand that it is extremely hard to make a silent build in a mini itx case but still.

Lian-lis are also often used, as well as Silverstone SG.

banditas wrote:Anyway, I am really desperate to get rid off hadron air as it's too much of noise. But I'd prefer keeping everything under 30l as I move quite frequently between the cities.
If you don't have drives, what about the Silverstone ML-08 (or the RVZ-01)? You will need the Cryorig, with that case.

banditas

Post by banditas » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:57 pm

Thanks man, really helpful stuff!

I decided after reading to spend some more time putting my system and maybe dropping that v1 case.

Also I spent an hour investing biggest noise sources from the current case. Antec's 120mm TrueQueit fans are completely silent. Though at lower RPMS they don't move all that much air and at higher RPMS they are still rather quite. CPU fan on idle is pretty good and not a huge complaint, on lower loads it becomes noticeable and at higher loads it's way too loud.

Hadron PSU is noisy at any loud. And it has rattling noise to it.
EVGA 760 would be the second loudest part in the case and it also has extremely unpleasent noise at any loud.

Also been reading about MSI Gaming vs Asus Strix 960 and it seems that MSI is less loud. Problem is though that MSI is way bigger.

banditas

Post by banditas » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:52 pm

How about this?

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler (either this or Noctua NH-L12 as it's way cheaper)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case (testing in this case, not yet sure which one I am going to get)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A8 FLX 29.7 CFM 80mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A8 FLX 29.7 CFM 80mm Fan

Ignore the Thermaltake case. I have it for another build at the moment and will test it out with this specs. If it's silent then I am gonna order another v1.
Else I am going to look for something different.

For PSU I can get 760w from silentpcreview outlet for quite cheap. Or I can get Corsair RM650 for even cheaper locally. Just been reading that it's better to get at least RM750 as other models seem to be lower in quality.
I know that both PSU's are complete overkill (most I will use is 970) but any reasons why I shouldn't get them then the price is rather low?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:12 pm

banditas wrote:How about this?

For case fans personally I'd stay upon the proven P14 and R8, maybe in the Redux flavour, whether their prices were favourable: at any rate, check your mobo amperage for the 3 pin headers, and if I were you I wouldn't go over a 0.5A draw with both the fans (I didn't checked the A8 current ratings). Take also note that apparently you still lack two Y splitters in your parts list (unless your mobo has two independently controllable 3 pin fan, and two PWM fan headers).

About the PSU, the RM650 is worst (noise-wise) of all the RM-series models, and given the noticeablyt lower build quality I would rather the X-750, definitely.

banditas

Post by banditas » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:08 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
banditas wrote:How about this?

For case fans personally I'd stay upon the proven P14 and R8, maybe in the Redux flavour, whether their prices were favourable: at any rate, check your mobo amperage for the 3 pin headers, and if I were you I wouldn't go over a 0.5A draw with both the fans (I didn't checked the A8 current ratings). Take also note that apparently you still lack two Y splitters in your parts list (unless your mobo has two independently controllable 3 pin fan, and two PWM fan headers).

About the PSU, the RM650 is worst (noise-wise) of all the RM-series models, and given the noticeablyt lower build quality I would rather the X-750, definitely.
Yeah, 80mm fans are redux ones (listed the wrong item). I do have Y splitter.
Anyway, If I get some used parts (PSU, Case) I might have enough budget to upgrade motherboard and sell the old one. But still not convinced by it.

Also Mike from SPCR offered Scythe 750W PSU (80+ silver, modular cable. Very quiet). No much other info about PSU but price is way less than the SeaSonic one.
Another thing he has available is Corsair Air 240 Case. It's not small at all. But it doesn't look too bad actually. I checked out his review on this case and seems a bit louder than usual but the noise is very stable during idle and load which is great.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:11 pm

banditas wrote:Yeah, 80mm fans are redux ones (listed the wrong item).

At any rate, be aware that the Redux fans are no frills ones: they come without the ULNA and LNA adapters, so their speed may be disappointing when hooked to an header with a too high speed threshold (give a try to SpeedFan on your mobo, in case), so check their quotes against the regular part prices.

banditas wrote:I do have Y splitter.

Just to be clear: one splitter has to be an Y-cable 3 pin type, 1 splitter have to be a 4 pin PWM type with two 4 pin fan headers and a separate 4 pin molex connector for power.

banditas wrote:Also Mike from SPCR offered Scythe 750W PSU (80+ silver, modular cable. Very quiet). No much other info about PSU but price is way less than the SeaSonic one.

But, more probably that not, quality also is way less: you'll get what you'll pay, in case.

banditas wrote:Another thing he has available is Corsair Air 240 Case. It's not small at all. But it doesn't look too bad actually. I checked out his review on this case and seems a bit louder than usual but the noise is very stable during idle and load which is great.

You may need custom dust filters (so, a substantial about of money) for it, given the fact the main drawback are the awfully restricted stock ones: among SPCR Clearance Lab offers, with a comparable volume (in litres) the Fractal Arc Mini R2 would seem a way more efficient option (though both really far from the more tiny size of both the Hadron and the Core V1).

banditas

Post by banditas » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:13 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Just to be clear: one splitter has to be an Y-cable 3 pin type, 1 splitter have to be a 4 pin PWM type with two 4 pin fan headers and a separate 4 pin molex connector for power.
I have been googling and reading about fans but still feel really dumb. Could you link newegg/ncix link with how does the second splitter looks like? Is it similar to this?
quest_for_silence wrote: You may need custom dust filters (so, a substantial about of money) for it, given the fact the main drawback are the awfully restricted stock ones: among SPCR Clearance Lab offers, with a comparable volume (in litres) the Fractal Arc Mini R2 would seem a way more efficient option (though both really far from the more tiny size of both the Hadron and the Core V1).
I slowly realize that I can't yet get very quite setup under 30L. So most likely will go with something slightly bigger. Rosewill W1 perhaps.
And usually I care a lot about quality of parts but this time it doesn't really matter as I will have this build for another 16 months at most. I do want it to be very quite though and if going for twice as expensive SeaSonic over Scythe Chouriki 2 is worth I will do it. Scythe would waste lots of heat I suppose.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:08 am

banditas wrote:Is it similar to this?

Yes, it is similar (obviously you need just two fan headers, not four as that one).

banditas wrote:I do want it to be very quite though and if going for twice as expensive SeaSonic over Scythe Chouriki 2 is worth I will do it. Scythe would waste lots of heat I suppose.

No, actually it's not that bad, efficiency wise: the Chouriki, however, have rather low performances (louse voltage regulation, very high ripple, poor PFC...) and a mediocre build quality as often seen on Sirtec-manufactured units (with the very positively notable exceptions of a good Scythe fan and excellent japanese capacitors, Rubycon & NCC). It should be rather quiet, given the max 1300rpm of its fan.

banditas

Post by banditas » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:04 pm

Pretty much final build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85N PHOENIX-WIFI Mini ITX
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB mSATA
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB (still struggling between Strix and MSI)
Case: Rosewill LEGACY W1-S Mini ITX (will be using stock fans with integrated fan controller set to low)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum Fully-Modular

PSU is overkill but it's even cheaper than RM650 or SeaSonic X 400. So why not?
Canadian prices are terrible but still total cost for upgrades is exactly US$500.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:41 pm

banditas wrote:CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
Have you actually double checked that its fans were compatible with your mobo?

banditas

Post by banditas » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:03 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
banditas wrote:CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
Have you actually double checked that its fans were compatible with your mobo?
What exactly? The cooler itself will fit with both fans. Or do you mean amperage and stuff? Where do I check it? I scrolled through mobo manual and there is nothing. And I don't have any equipment to test it.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:31 pm

banditas wrote:What exactly?

The NH-P14 are 3 pin fans: does your mobo CPU header work with 3 pin fans? I mean, it may be, but it's not granted.
I apologize for not having asked some posts ago (I missed that aspect).

banditas wrote:And I don't have any equipment to test it.

You've just to hook up any you 3 pin fan to your CPU FAN header, and see whether it's able to control it, or not.

banditas

Post by banditas » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:31 pm

quest_for_silence wrote: The NH-P14 are 3 pin fans: does your mobo CPU header work with 3 pin fans? I mean, it may be, but it's not granted.
I apologize for not having asked some posts ago (I missed that aspect).

You've just to hook up any you 3 pin fan to your CPU FAN header, and see whether it's able to control it, or not.
I think we are good. Pretty sure it will work. Even if it doesn't I ordered Cryorig C1 for my HTPC but will swap it and use for this rig.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:22 am

banditas wrote:I think we are good

Wish you luck.

banditas

Post by banditas » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:23 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
banditas wrote:I think we are good

Wish you luck.
Thanks. Will report how it goes.

banditas

Post by banditas » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:35 pm

I don't have a GPU yet but still tried to see how everything goes.
Noctua NH-C14 actually touches the back fan and so I can't really use the said fan but I will remount cooler since I think I mounted it the wrong way. Will do it once the GPU arrives and see if it helps.

Also sadly my gigabyte motherboard can't control 3-pin fans and it runs at full speed all time. I had low noise adapter lying around so I connected it to the splitter of both fans and now it runs at 750 rpm constantly. Will the Asus H97 be able to control 3-pin fans?

Short test.
I turned off all the case fans (well just the front one as I can't use the back one at all) and ran prime95 for over 30 minutes and results with just NH-C14 (running at 750RPM) were pretty good. Highest temp 74C.
On idle up to 30C and with low load with case fans turned off it's around 35C.

Also what after market fan I could use on CRYORIG C1? Would Noctua NF-A15 work?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:08 am

banditas wrote:I don't have a GPU yet but still tried to see how everything goes.
Noctua NH-C14 actually touches the back fan and so I can't really use the said fan but I will remount cooler since I think I mounted it the wrong way. Will do it once the GPU arrives and see if it helps.

It might be (as the C14 has a slightly asymmetrical footprint)
You might also flip the fan as intake (reversing even the front one), or placing it on the top grille, for a more pronounced stacking effect.

banditas wrote:Also sadly my gigabyte motherboard can't control 3-pin fans and it runs at full speed all time. I had low noise adapter lying around so I connected it to the splitter of both fans and now it runs at 750 rpm constantly. Will the Asus H97 be able to control 3-pin fans?

I can't help. ASUS is used to have an "Advanced" profile (along with AUTO, and the other ones) for the CPU_FAN header which enabled the 3-pin fan control, but according to the relevant manual that mode is explicitly available for the various CHA_FAN headers only, so your mileage may vary (I mean, you may hook up the fans to a CHA_FAN header but with a 50% min speed limitation). By the way, maybe it's less expensive buying a pair of P14r Redux (maybe with a Noctua NA-SYC1 adapter, I didn't checked if it's really necessary) than the ASUS board, while reusing the stock P14 as case fans.

banditas wrote:Also what after market fan I could use on CRYORIG C1? Would Noctua NF-A15 work?
I would recommend the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek, as I think the C1 need a slim fan.

banditas

Post by banditas » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:00 pm

So a short update after I got the video card today. No cable management has been done so far. Ordered Nitze Ize which are far superior to zip ties or velcro imo to fix up cables.

Final build:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85N PHOENIX-WIFI Mini ITX
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB mSATA
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB 100ME
Case: Rosewill LEGACY W1-S Mini ITX
Power Supply: SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum Fully-Modular

CPU and CPU cooler: CPU stays in low temps, haven't really seen it go over 60C during gaming. The only issue is that my motherboard can't control 3-pin PWM fans. So Noctua NH-C14's fans run all the time at 750RPM and still is very quite.
Motherboard: Sure it sucks having such a poor fan control but overall it's a great motherboard for few other things - it's rather cheap, there is no way to run lan cable to the PC so integrated AC WIFI adapter takes care of it. Also having mSATA slot makes cable management easy. Here is how clean everything looked without GPU and pretty much 0 cable management.

Storage: There is lots of reports of slowdowns in 840 EVO but so far after using mSATA version of 840 EVO for over 6 months haven't really noticed any. Maybe just luck or firmware solved some issues. No idea.
Video Card: NO COIL WHINE. Very very quite even then the fans kick in at 61-62C. Super happy for going for this card instead of Asus Strix.
Case: Thanks to you quest_for_silence and Mike of SPCR who conviced that my choices of the cases were bad. Managed to get this case from the SPCR outlet rather cheaply. The best things about case: amazing airflow, stock fans on low are almost inaudible (didn't bother replacing them with some Noctua's I had), great cable management and personally the most impressive thing is easy it's to work in this case, nothing comes close of all the mini ITX cases I tried. It's huge though. Here it's compared to hadron air and rosewill v3.

Power supply: at first I was unimpressed. It was fairly loud. But then I clicked 'hybrid' mode and magic happened. It's dead quite and no coil whine.

Overall very happy. System runs cool and is near silent during idle and gaming even then sitting 50cm from it. Sure I could make it inaudible by replacing Noctua 3-pin fans with PWM fans but I don't feel a need as the monitor is more noisy than the case already (and monitor is pretty quite to begin with).

Here is the few more pictures after I got GPU (at the moment I have harddrive attached as I need to get some data off it and as mentioned no cable management done as off yet).

Thanks quest_for_silence.