Help with 1080p gaming PC shopping list

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

Re: Help with 1080p gaming PC shopping list

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:35 pm

Hex wrote:like "well it'll probably be more quiet with my set up.." and "the cooler master is cheaper and not quite as big the r5, and it's dampened, and my friend loves hers, but the cpu cooler doesn't fit.. but maybe that is cancelled out due to the dampening?" it's comparing a bunch of factors that I have no reference point for in real life, and then comparing noise tolerance levels in the first place. urg.

If you want to go a bit smaller, though not as much as the TJ-08E, there are also the Define Mini and the Arc Mini R2 in the Fractal line-up, which may run pretty quiet a rig like your proposed one, while the Silencio 550 is not really that smaller than the R5, it's just about 1 cm less tall and about 2cm less deep; said that, I'm pretty sure a 160mm cooler will fit inside a Silencio 550, because it fits the Silencio 352 which shares the same CPU height clearance but lower overall dimensions. Are there alternatives at the same dimensions of that TJ-08E? Not so many, I guess: right now I think to the Lian Li A04, which have worse thermals, to the new Silverstone KL06 (a clone of the TJ-08E with 120mm fans), and eventually to the Nanoxia DS4 (it might be a viable alternative noise wise, tough it's much deeper). Then probably nothing more among tower-style enclosures.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:14 pm

Hex wrote:It's not that I want it and am looking for a seal of approval here.. it's that I am spectacularly indecisive
Heh. :D Thanks for that. I needed the laugh.
Hex wrote:I don't need this to be the quietest 1080p gaming pc ever built, I just want it to be among the quietest.
Based on your component selection and the cases you've narrowed it down to, it will be. Pick the case that has the features you like and go for it. All builds need a bit of fine tuning to dial in the noise versus thermal performance. Worst case, you change out a fan or two.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:04 pm

CA_Steve wrote:you change out a fan or two.
At 25 bucks a pop! :mrgreen:

Hex

Post by Hex » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:32 pm

CA_Steve and quest_for_silence... your patience knows no bounds.

I have the Silencio at 210 x 451.5 x 505.0 mm (volume of 47.8 ) and the R5 at 232 x 451 x 521mm (54.5 volume) so... yeah, you're right, it's only a bit smaller. It's a good bit cheaper though. (€70 vs €110)

That's very interesting about the cpu fitting in the Silencio 352.. maybe it's the dampening foam that takes away the depth? though, I guess the 352 has that too..

I had a quick look at the others you mentioned;

Define Mini
40.6 volume
160mm cpu cooler
~€86

Arc Mini R2
41.1 volume
165mm cpu cooler
~€76, and I could only find the one with window

Lian Li A04
33.3 volume
140mm cpu cooler
~@100 for the A04B which I guess is same/similar

Silverstone KL06
32 volume
165mm cpu cooler
I couldn't find this on offer anywhere.. which is a shame because I love that it has 2.5" drive bays instead of 3.5" bays.

Nanoxia DS4
36.4 volume
160mm cpu cooler
~ €70

and for comparison:

TJ08-E
30.2 volume
165mm cpu cooler
~€93

:!: and it's gonna be 2AM, I have to hit the hay. Thanks.. and I'll be back.. :evil:

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:15 am

Hex wrote:I guess the 352 has that too..

Yes, it's dampened: by the way, it's not that linen to eat space, it's just CM tolerance, with reference to the 352 they declare 155mm of clearance, but actually it is around 162mm (a french forumer fitted a Kotetsu inside it).

Hex wrote:I had a quick look at the others you mentioned;
~@100 for the A04B which I guess is same/similar

Yes, the B is the colour code, black (it's also available in silver).

Hex wrote:Silverstone KL06
32 volume
165mm cpu cooler
I couldn't find this on offer anywhere.. which is a shame because I love that it has 2.5" drive bays instead of 3.5" bays.

It's just released: I guess you have to wait a while, it's already available in Asia/Pacific (I checked Australia) and already bookable in Uk: basically it's a less restricted PS09, it should be good.

Then there are some cheap enclosures, like for instance either the CM N200/Silencio 352, or the Aerocool QS-200/202, which may be workable but they may more likely deserve some tweaking or modding (set aside the much lighter feeling, quality-wise). And, only for the serious modders, the venerable Antec NSK-3480, my favourite compact mATX enclosure (which is EOL, by the way).

Lucky Luciano

Post by Lucky Luciano » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:21 am

If you buy the Silencio 550 you'll have to spend money on new fan(s) because the ones included are absolute $h!t. Very clicky, audible even from the other side of the room(the clicking, not the airflow). Also, the fan grill in the front has round punctured holes which are restrictive and make the fan sound louder.

I fitted a Scythe Kotetsu inside it, tho, by cutting the foam around it. You end up with about 2mm of clearance.

Hex

Post by Hex » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:37 am

OK, I made a slightly updated pcpartpicker list

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (€194.00)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Kotetsu 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€35.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus H97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€93.00)
Memory: Crucial DIMM 8GB DDR3-1600 Ballistix Sport (inc. shipping) (€60.45)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€89.89)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (€218.90)
Power Supply: Be quiet! 10 400 (inc. shipping) (€71.22)
Total: €762.86

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/BZmT3C

Am I missing some little bits that I haven't thought of? Do I need cooler paste or is that generally included?

If I were to get a ATX case, would there be any reason to pick an ATX board instead?

quest_for_silence wrote: Yes, it's dampened: by the way, it's not that linen to eat space, it's just CM tolerance, with reference to the 352 they declare 155mm of clearance, but actually it is around 162mm (a french forumer fitted a Kotetsu inside it).
right, they leave a margin to be sure.

quest_for_silence wrote: Yes, the B is the colour code, black (it's also available in silver).
.. do'h.

quest_for_silence wrote: It's just released: I guess you have to wait a while, it's already available in Asia/Pacific (I checked Australia) and already bookable in Uk: basically it's a less restricted PS09, it should be good.
ahh I see; in Australia it is even priced under the TJE.
*grumble* first the Assassins Creed mobile game and now this.. stop being so greedy, Australia.
quest_for_silence wrote:
Then there are some cheap enclosures, like for instance either the CM N200/Silencio 352, or the Aerocool QS-200/202, which may be workable but they may more likely deserve some tweaking or modding (set aside the much lighter feeling, quality-wise). And, only for the serious modders, the venerable Antec NSK-3480, my favourite compact mATX enclosure (which is EOL, by the way).
eehhm, I'm no serious modder, I'm only just popping my PC cherry here.
Lucky Luciano wrote:If you buy the Silencio 550 you'll have to spend money on new fan(s) because the ones included are absolute $h!t. Very clicky, audible even from the other side of the room(the clicking, not the airflow). Also, the fan grill in the front has round punctured holes which are restrictive and make the fan sound louder.

I fitted a Scythe Kotetsu inside it, tho, by cutting the foam around it. You end up with about 2mm of clearance.
Thanks for the heads up!

Hm. well that's a minus point for the Silencio.. depending on how much decent case fans would run me.

Stock fans sucking seems to be a common thing. I couldn't find a proper review of the Nanoxia DS4 with noise measurements, but here a customer review comments that "The included fans are noisy. Even on the lowest fan controller setting, they emit an audible rumble that is noticeable in a quiet office" which isn't exactly reassuring. So maybe they both would benefit from third party fans.

Hex

Post by Hex » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Update: I went with the define mini in the end btw, the parts will be arriving soon :mrgreen:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:16 pm

Have fun with your build.

Hex

Post by Hex » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:20 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Have fun with your build.
Thank youuu!
and since I have you here; ESD wristband: yay or nay?
(edit: yes I know there's probably a bunch of threads on this already, but I'm just asking your personal opinion)

Edit 2: ooh.. and I can't figure out if the thermal paste that comes with the stock cooler (ended up getting a boxed 4590 as it wasn't more expensive than the tray version) can be used for my third party cooler as well, or if I need to get some arctic silver or so in addition...

y7HGqN5Q

Post by y7HGqN5Q » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:41 pm

I have some questions about parts with which I'd like to make an entirely-passive 1080p gaming PC. Should I append to this thread, or start a new one?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:27 pm

Hex wrote:and since I have you here; ESD wristband: yay or nay?
Not neccessary unless you like to shuffle your feet in the wool carpet while doing the build. Just use common sense. Drier winter air means more likelihood of you building up a static charge. So, discharge it before handling the electronics (fingertip on a known ground will do) and work on a charge free surface - like a wood desk or floor. Don't take the mobo out of anti-static bag and place it on TOP of it - it's the inside of the bag that's protected, not the outside. Etc..
Hex wrote:Edit 2: ooh.. and I can't figure out if the thermal paste that comes with the stock cooler (ended up getting a boxed 4590 as it wasn't more expensive than the tray version) can be used for my third party cooler as well, or if I need to get some arctic silver or so in addition...
The stock stuff will work. There's only a couple of degrees C difference between the best and worst paste with stock CPU speeds. If you feel the need to splurge, I like Arctic Silver Ceramique 2. Reasonably priced, good performance, easy to handle, not electrically conductive.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:28 pm

y7HGqN5Q wrote:I have some questions about parts with which I'd like to make an entirely-passive 1080p gaming PC. Should I append to this thread, or start a new one?
\
Welcome to SPCR.

New build, new thread, please.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:22 pm

CA_Steve wrote:New build, new thread, please.

Steve, it smells like a spammer.

Hex

Post by Hex » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:24 pm

well folks, it finally happened. :mrgreen:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/b/frBPxr

many many thanks for helping me do this! One more question: it seems the top of the cpu cooler actually touches the dampening material of the side of the case. It still fits though.. I guess that's okay the way it is?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:42 pm

Congrats on your build. If the cooler touches and compresses the foam a bit - it's ok. It provides a little more stability if you have to move the case :) If it's compressing the foam so far that the case door is compressing/bulging against the cooler, then not so ok.

Hex

Post by Hex » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:08 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Congrats on your build. If the cooler touches and compresses the foam a bit - it's ok. It provides a little more stability if you have to move the case :) If it's compressing the foam so far that the case door is compressing/bulging against the cooler, then not so ok.
No bending, but when you take the side panel off, there's a cpu-cooler shaped indent in the foam :P I could cut some of the foam away, but I guess it's alright then :)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:20 pm

Yeah, it'll be fine.