Wich CPU cooler for me ?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Dots

Wich CPU cooler for me ?

Post by Dots » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:46 am

I'm looking for a cpu cooler to replace the Intel's one.

My requirements are :
  • -As quiet as possible
    -Good to overclock my 3570K
    -And fet in my R5
I saw the Noctua NH-D15, the best of the best ? What's the alternative ?

Thanks for answer, Dots

CA_Steve

Re: Wich CPU cooler for me ?

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:48 am

Welcome to SPCR.

You can directly compare the NH-D15 to other coolers in it's SPCR review. If you plan to overvolt the hell out of the CPU with the overclock, then it's a great cooler - as is some of the other monster sized coolers with two fans (Prolimatech Genesis, Thermalright HR-02 Macho and HR-22). If you don't plan to overvolt much or at all, then the best solution in terms of price, weight, and silent cooling is the Scythe Kotetsu.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Kotetsu is one of the best options for the money, but another imo is the Thermalright HR02 Macho Rev. B, is what i would chose around $50.

cerbie

Post by cerbie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:44 am

With the D15, be careful about your space. It may use up your first PCie slot, block RAM, make the P4 connector or fan headers hard to get to, etc.. The Macho can do the same with P4 and fan headers, but will clear RAM and expansion slots just fine.

The Kotestsu is probably the best overall option, though, and has been easy to find in stock as of late.

Dots

Post by Dots » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:27 am

I cannot have a too big cooler, because I don't want to use my first PCI slot with the cooler on my Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H. It's the only one in x16.
And the Prolimatech Genesis isn't available in France anymore.
So the Thermalright might be the best choice and it doesn't seem to use any other slot, like the P4. I think I'm gonna go with it. But it has only one fan, if I add a fan, will the performances be a lot better compered to the noise level up ?

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:21 am

The kotesu is less wide than the HR02, so in essence if you are looking for a smaller size, the Kotetsu is the better choice, that said, the HR02 will not overlap the first PCIe slot, but considering you said you have a GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H, the first 16x slot is not in the first position, in it there is an 1x pcie , so there shouldn't have any issues with almost any cooler, what im trying to say, even coolers like NH-D15 that will overlap the first PCIe slot, it would only reach the PCIex1, not the PCIe x16, the only cpu cooler that i know goes into two PCIe slots is the NoFan95.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:05 am

Dots wrote:And the Prolimatech Genesis isn't available in France anymore.

That doesn't seem true: just for instance, Amazon France and Cdiscount has in stock, or you can order from Caseking in several flavours.