Quiet internal fans for laptops

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

forgottenit

Quiet internal fans for laptops

Post by forgottenit » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:25 am

Hi,

Sorry if this was answered but I couldn't discern it in the recommended section.

Are there quiet fans on the market which are designed for replacing the normal fan inside a laptop? (So NOT cooling pads)

There are 2 laptops I want to do this with:

Toshiba Satellite L750-1RJ

HP Pavillion G6.

I'm going to open them and clean out the dust, before you suggest it, but want to make this change at the same time if I can.

Many thanks.

Pappnaas

Re: Quiet internal fans for laptops

Post by Pappnaas » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:42 am

Afaik there are none. Thermal envelope on those cooling systems is small enough, so i'd guess quiter = slower fans would have serious impact on a laptop's lifetime and risk constant overheating or throttling.

The current slim design laptops even leave less thermal headroom for silent cooling layout.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:23 am

Lappys often have faster fans to make up for all that dust that eventually gets sucked in, especially when placed on bed/sofa/floor.

Silencer56

Post by Silencer56 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:03 am

Imo you dont need those. Get a decent laptop with low voltage components like low voltage RAM, a power efficient SSD and an U-series i5 and your laptop should run passive (my X240 Thinkpad does). In the future as Broadwell will come, there will be more and more fanless systems

forgottenit

Post by forgottenit » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Yeah know there's some fanless ones on the market, just wondered if I could do something more inexpensively to permanently quiet our laptops (they will fill up with dust again eventually). Looks like not, ah well!