Windows 10

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CA_Steve

Windows 10

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:43 am

Releases on July 29...and MS is already nagging us to "pre-download" (see the little Windows icon in the image) ;)
Win10.JPG
While there is no frigging way I'd install a new version of Windows on my main PC on release day, I might on my little HTPC box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cistron

Re: Windows 10

Post by Cistron » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:48 am

I initially opted-in, had horrible thoughts about driver issues, and then thankfully found the opt-out option. *phew*

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:25 am

Well i usually don't go with a new OS for six months at least, so i don't beta test it for them... but idk right now, it seems they are moving toward W10 mostly out of the lack of acceptance that windows 8 had over 7, so in my mind, i see it as a very similar win8 relaunch with a few tweaks, but i don't see a totally revamp OS that has risks of instabilities and incompatibilities... then again that's just my impression of win10.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:28 am

Thanks for posting this - I just looked and there is the "Get Windows 10" icon in the tray.

Lucky Luciano

Post by Lucky Luciano » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:25 am

Even if you opt in it won't install automatically, it just downloads. What I worry at the moment is actually the HDD space the in-place upgrade might take as I only have a 120 GB SSD.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:02 am

Lucky Luciano wrote:Even if you opt in it won't install automatically, it just downloads. What I worry at the moment is actually the HDD space the in-place upgrade might take as I only have a 120 GB SSD.
In case of Windows 8.1 it was 3.5GB or so if my memory serves me right.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:37 am

Abula wrote:Well i usually don't go with a new OS for six months at least, so i don't beta test it for them... but idk right now, it seems they are moving toward W10 mostly out of the lack of acceptance that windows 8 had over 7, so in my mind, i see it as a very similar win8 relaunch with a few tweaks, but i don't see a totally revamp OS that has risks of instabilities and incompatibilities... then again that's just my impression of win10.
In the long term, the biggest benefit I see for us gamers is DirectX 12. Potentially HUUUGE framerate benefits for games that are CPU bound.

In the short term, I'm happy with Win7 for my desktop...especially as I don't see a viable replacement (yet) for the orphaned TrueCrypt application. I tend to wait a year for Windows to work through it's bugs.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:38 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
Abula wrote:Well i usually don't go with a new OS for six months at least, so i don't beta test it for them... but idk right now, it seems they are moving toward W10 mostly out of the lack of acceptance that windows 8 had over 7, so in my mind, i see it as a very similar win8 relaunch with a few tweaks, but i don't see a totally revamp OS that has risks of instabilities and incompatibilities... then again that's just my impression of win10.
In the long term, the biggest benefit I see for us gamers is DirectX 12. Potentially HUUUGE framerate benefits for games that are CPU bound.

In the short term, I'm happy with Win7 for my desktop...especially as I don't see a viable replacement (yet) for the orphaned TrueCrypt application. I tend to wait a year for Windows to work through it's bugs.
Windows 7 will remain solid for years, but personally i dont like to stay too far behind, skipping one OS is enough for me, now i gotta give into whatever MS designed.

boost

Post by boost » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:53 am

I'll use it in September for my new Skylake system - in a VM.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:50 am

Although I may move some machines to Windows 10, I am a little disgusted by this promotional stunt. The tray icon and associated GWX process came via Windows update KB3035583. This was tagged an important update and was installed automatically. Nothing about KB3035583 hints that nag-ware will be forced upon users:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

You can temporarily hide the notification, but not dismiss it permanently. It will reappear on reboot / login. You can take ownership of the appropriate folders, rename them & kill the scheduled task. Or you can uninstall the update, which removes the tray icon and GWX process (reboot is required after uninstall). Windows update will re-install KB3035583 unless you 'hide' it.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:20 am

<shrugs> Low level crap like this becomes invisible to me after a while.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:46 pm

Anyone install it, yet? Seems like the upgrade methodology is a little obscure. Click the icon to say, yeah I want it. Then wait for it to do a background download and hope it happens sometime in the unknown future. I looked at my update history today on my HTPC and it shows multiple failed installs. Wtf? Looked up the error code, deleted the contents of the download folder in windows/softwaredistribution waved a magic wand via the command line and hope that it opts to download an uncorrupted/complete install...sometime...in the background...when it wants to..

Would it kill them to just have a frigging "download your Win10 upgrade now" option? Yeesh.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:33 am

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:34 am

Alas, no Optical drive on this little PC and I don't have a free thumb drive I can erase...

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:08 am

I have said nothing about creating a media. That tool has two options - Upgrade this PC, and create media :
http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/1/908350 ... w-to-guide

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:26 am

Im very interested on this download styled windows 10, as I was set on buying the USB version, but its $200 for the pro, and there is an OEM offer on websites that its $140, in the past i used the windows usb tool to create a bootable USB with a windows iso inside, and thats what i think the $200 version is. But wondering if this is the same thing, i could buy the $140 DVD version (to get my valid CD Key) and create with this download my own windows usb bootable installation?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:15 pm

faugusztin wrote:I have said nothing about creating a media. That tool has two options - Upgrade this PC, and create media :
http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/1/908350 ... w-to-guide
Yeah, my bad. I skimmed through the Intel page and read the media creation as a requirement rather than an option. It's attempting an install now.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:31 am

Installed on my media center. The upgrade went perfect and it runs perfect. Not a single problem.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:32 pm

I think my Zbox Nano CI320 is incompatible with a Win7 to Win10 upgrade. It installs and then fails on first boot. :(

I think it might be a BIOS issue. Trouble ticket started. Hopefully, there will be a speedy response.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:17 am

Does anyone remember how long the free upgrade offer stands?

Also, any driver issues yet? I'm wary about my USB audio interface. Avid's drivers have been horrible for Windows 7 already... and I guess those won't work with Windows 10.

How to best test this in a VM? Virtual Box?

ConfuciusTse

Post by ConfuciusTse » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:52 am

Free upgrade offer lasts one year. I already did it on a new build and it's working fine. A little worried about my laptops as certain specific drivers may not be available, who knows? I think the best thing to do is have an entire back-up ready to go so you can quickly downgrade (note that in-place downgrades reportedly leave a lot to be desired) if all else fails!

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:03 am

ConfuciusTse wrote:Free upgrade offer lasts one year.
Oh Chwell, no rush then :)

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:27 pm

Im guessing the "free" W10 offer doesn't apply to me, since my W7 installs were upgrades DVD's from XP? :/

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:37 pm

xan_user wrote:Im guessing the "free" W10 offer doesn't apply to me, since my W7 installs were upgrades DVD's from XP? :/
Don't know. You'll find out pretty quick as it looks for the Windows license at the start of the upgrade.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:30 pm

Have been using WIN10 in a virtual machine on an old laptop since December/January (VMWare) and as the primary OS on my main work laptop since early March with no real issues.

Only 'potential' problem is some of the Realtek audio drivers, but they can cause problems in WIN7 sometimes, so not Microsoft's fault.

O & O have a little tool that everybody should look at: http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10? ... letter2262

Stops the OS doing 'stuff' you may not want it to do..... :D

Pete

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:04 am

xan_user wrote:Im guessing the "free" W10 offer doesn't apply to me, since my W7 installs were upgrades DVD's from XP? :/
It does. If you have W7 now, you can upgrade to W10.

fastturtle

Windows 10 - Just Say No

Post by fastturtle » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:57 pm

Did a clean install of Win7 - needed since it had been over a year with multiple un/installs during that time, so clean the cruft out. Used a nice app to grab the Win10 License Key so I can do a clean install after SP1 is released (Using Win7 Pro) but had to take it out after 2 days. Unstable as heck on 3yr old hardware (Asus Z97 Pro - A/C Wi-Fi) with E3-1230 Xeon and 8GB of memory. Had multiple BSOD's due to a driver issue but it certainly didn't impress me with that. Then I started seeing what data they're collecting and actually read the blurbs on the Privacy Settings. God Forbid they monitor my email, web browsing, access my Camera and Mike 24/7. Keylogg all of my passwords - Thanks for the ID Theft MS along with all the other stuff that combined with the instability had me wipe the POS off the system. I'm now actively fighting to keep Win7 off the other computers at home (had to clean install and restrict updates to those before 9/2013 just to ensure I had only the critical's for actual issues.

It's so bad, that I'm even investigating moving to FreeBSD (OS-X base) for the stability and security I want. It's my hardware - Not theirs and I refuse to allow them to take over my home/ship/what ever w/o a fight. They'll have to pry the keyboard out of my fingers before they can claim victory. The only thing I have to solve to make the switch is Guild War 2. I know Guild Wars 1 works fine under Wine but GW2 has issues - they're being fixed but still not fully stable. The alternative is to keep running Win7 until support ends in 2020 (unless MS ends it in June of 2016 as I'm expecting them to). Yes I expect them to force everyone in the world onto their Spying/Lying PoS OS called Win10 - keep in mind that it by no means meets HIPPA/SARBOX/FIPS certification and should not be used in any kind of business environment because of the potential for massive fines.

:oops: Sorry for the Rant but I'm certainly no fan of what the MS Collective has offered (forced down everyone's throats in this case) and I for one do not intend on being an easy assimulation target as I've used Open Source in the Past and already looking into the only viable alternative out there - FreeBSD. It's solid and with the recent release of the Clang Compiler/Toolchain it's even better then Linux, which has been hijacked by MS with the SystemD - Binary Logging Anyone? Sure I'll take that for $200 - nice to have someone introduce the Windows Registry to Linux Userspace and the problem is, the Primary Development groups for Gnome/KDE and multiple other major packages are now having to maintain 2 seperate versions as FreeBSD does not and most likely will not ever support anything like SystemD. True Software Engineers instead of marketing idiots.

pcgeek

Post by pcgeek » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:00 am

faugusztin wrote:
It does. If you have W7 now, you can upgrade to W10.
Yep, probably your W7 has given you a message by now?

Deer87

Post by Deer87 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:43 am

Hi guys and gals,
Have any of you experienced hardware mishaps after upgrading to win10?
My PC has started to make an occational, yet very annoying, click sound, which after 30 minutes have made me consider downgrading to win7 again.
I have yet to pinpoint the noise, but it is definetly from the components (not coming out of the speakers), and my first guess would be the HDD or perhaps PSU.

I hope that is a driver concern or something :/

Edit: I reverted to Win7 - it is still clicking - im confused and annoyed

My PC:
Case: Fractal Design Node 304
Mobo: ASUS Z97I-PLUS
CPU: i5-4690k
GPU: ASUS GTX660-DC2OCPH-2GD5
RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3-1866 HyperX FURY
SSD: Samsung 250 GB Evo
PSU: XFX XTS 460 Platinum Fanless
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
HDD: WD Green 2 TB

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:43 am

I have been waiting for Windows 10 to become more bug free (and I would only use the Pro, which allows deferred updates),
in order to install it (to program with DX12), but it seems the situation is getting worse, not better, according to this article:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/21 ... king-first