Upgrading 2 systems

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Otatyaro

Upgrading 2 systems

Post by Otatyaro » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:37 am

Hello everyone.
First of all I want to thank everyone in advance for the help you are going to give me.

So the thing is I have 2 PC with cases I've started to dislike and some things I'll like to change for better and more silent performance.

First system:

- Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0Ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 (dual fan)
- Asus Maximus VII Hero
- Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR3 1600MHz 16GB 2x8GB CL10
- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 WindForce OC 4GB GDDR5
- Seagate SSHD 2TB SATA 3
- Nox Urano TX 850W
- Zalman Fatal1ty FC-ZE1 Computer Case (removed HDD cage to fit GPU)
- Case fans: the ones supplied with the case (2x80mm front intake 1x120mm rear exhaust)

This system is used for "high eng" gaming, internet browsing, small and simple videogame creation and photo and video editing. I want to change the case as I don't like how thing fit in this case. I like Fractal's Define S. I want to add some aditional fans to the case for better airflow and cooling performance as I like to test different OC settings with this PC.

Second system:

- AMD A10-7850K 3.7Ghz with stock cooler
- AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+
- G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 PC3-14900 8GB 2x4GB CL9
- Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti DirectCU II 1GB GDDR5
- Seagate SSHD 1TB SATA 3
- Be Quiet! BQT-P6-430W-PRO
- NOX Saphira case
- Case fans: 3x NOX Kniks 120mm (2 intakes: front and side; 1 exhaust: rear)

This system is used for internet browsing and gaming. I want to change the case for aesthetic as it's lying down on one of it's side panels because it doesn't fit well in the furniture we have now. I am looking for a cube type case (GF doesn't want an HTPC one) and the one she currently likes is the Cooler Master HAF XB EVO. For this system I'm am also looking for a not very expensive but silent and efficient CPU cooler as the one it has now make more sound than a plane during takeoff. I would also like to fit enough fans in this system so that it runs as cool as possible.
I plan on installing fans and SSHD using antivibration mount systems to lower the sound even more.

For more reference I live in Spain (pretty hot ambient temps on summer) and use to buy at Alternate or PCComponentes. I'm willing to buy from other website/shops.

EDIT UPDATE: I´ve been searching arround the internet but coudn't find any but I'll like to see if I can find a cube case under 30cm in height for the 2nd system. The case needs good front intake and rear exhaust. I know ATX mobos are 30.5CM in length, but maybe it can be a case where the mobo is lying down on it's back instead of hanging from the side of the case
Last edited by Otatyaro on Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

CA_Steve

Re: Upgrading 2 systems

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:55 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

System 1: Just moving to the Define S with it's stock two 140mm fans will greatly improve airflow over your existing setup's 2 x 80mm and one 120mm fan. Just adding an additional front fan should be good enough.

System 2: Wow, that Coolermaster case is ugly :) The Scythe Kotetsu is a great cpu cooler at a decent price. 39 Euros at Amazon.es.

Otatyaro

Post by Otatyaro » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:19 pm

CA_Steve wrote:System 1: Just moving to the Define S with it's stock two 140mm fans will greatly improve airflow over your existing setup's 2 x 80mm and one 120mm fan. Just adding an additional front fan should be good enough.
Fractal included fans are good enough or you recommend other ones? 3 intake 1 exhaust is what I was thinking but if may be too much and an increasing in noise, isn't it?
CA_Steve wrote:System 2: Wow, that Coolermaster case is ugly :) The Scythe Kotetsu is a great cpu cooler at a decent price. 39 Euros at Amazon.es.
Yeah, that case isn't really pretty but she likes it. If I could find a cube case that could fit the system and is less than 30 cm high with decent front intake and rear exhaust I'd be thrilled.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:57 am

Fractal S fans are pretty quiet. I'd suggest trying out the two stock fans first. See if you like their sonic profile/performance. Then decide if you need more front fans and whether you want something quieter.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Maybe you can make this one work for the second system
https://www.alternate.es/Cooltek/Coolcu ... ent=search

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Pappnaas wrote:Maybe you can make this one work for the second system
Isn't his Asrock mobo ATX?

Otatyaro

Post by Otatyaro » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:57 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
Pappnaas wrote:Maybe you can make this one work for the second system
Isn't his Asrock mobo ATX?
Yes. My mobo is ATX and I'll only change it for a mATX if I find a mobo with similar functionality as the mobo I have and a mATX case for less than 100€.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:47 pm

hmkay, i only thought of a cube case. Didn't realize you had a full size mobo.

The only mATX i am aware of which has features close to your current is the MSI A78M-E45 V2.

Otatyaro

Post by Otatyaro » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:22 am

So the GTX 650Ti on system 2 died. The shop is going to give me a full refund so now I'm also looking for a GPU that performs well in games like WoW, GW2, Terraria, Diablo 3, HoS and such, that is not very noisy and for 150-160€. Any suggestions?

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:04 pm

Depending on local pricing, you could take a look at the MSI 960 if your budget covers it (cost might be too high in euros). If not, then the 750Ti will be a reasonable upgrade for those games. I've seen a few sites suggesting that the 750Ti is due for a price drop to make room for the new 950, so it might be worth hanging fire on it (if you can)... either to see if the 950 is a better option, or to pick up a bargain.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:49 pm

The GTX 950 is rumored to be released in the next few weeks if you can hold out a bit for local availability. It should be in your price range as is the GTX 750Ti...but, why pay the same price for a 2 year old part?

Otatyaro

Post by Otatyaro » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:26 am

Going to buy the case and such in the few days. Do you know if Cooler Master XtraFlo fans that are included with the case are silent or is it better for me to change them to some noctuas or something?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:21 pm

Case fans: Don't know. Best to try them out and make your own opinion. Swap them out if you don't like the profile.

Otatyaro

Post by Otatyaro » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:30 am

Hi, new update.
I've waited for the GTX950 launch to decide the GPU I would buy. I'm decided to get a GTX960. Do you think this would work well with the AMD A10-7850K the system is run by or should I get a cheap second hand intel cpu and mobo? The system is going to be used for 1080p gaming but nothing hardcore. I think the most demanding game the pc is currently running is GW2 or sims 4.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:15 am

Personally i prefer Intel CPUs because they are more efficient and easier to cool off, making it a quieter PC at the end. Atm Intel only released their quad core overclockable CPUs (K versions) and their z170 motherboards, dual core and lower clocked quads and is also missing their H/B 170 motherboards (or whatever intel markets them), they should be released in the upcoming months, so its up to you if you can wait or not.

Btw im using an GTX960 with Intel i3-2120 (dual core) and it games great on HTPC, there are some games that do take advantage on quad cores, but still is not the standard, that said i always recommend quads for having more flexibility on the future, and just go by upgrading GPUs as your game demands, but at the same time, a dual core has serve well on HTPC.

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:28 am

One cheap option is the Anniversary Pentium, I think it's a dual core with no hyperthreading but an unlocked multiplier so you can crank up the speed if your motherboard can overclock. With a small die, they don't make too much heat even when overclocked so they can still be used in a "silent" build.

They are cheap but I have heard of some locked i3s beating them at some benchmarks and some i3s are cheap too so compare.

I was really hoping for the AMD APUs to be a more compelling product for a desktop.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:10 pm

If the A10 (95W) is just sitting there, use it. It'll work fine for your 1080p play. Down the road you can always upgrade to a newer platform.

Otatyaro

Post by Otatyaro » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:39 am

CA_Steve wrote:If the A10 (95W) is just sitting there, use it. It'll work fine for your 1080p play. Down the road you can always upgrade to a newer platform.
I'll be sticking with the A10 for a while then. BTW Kotetsu CPU cooler is 33€ in the store I was going to buy it from. Is it better for me to spend 5€ more and grab a Mugen 4 on other store or I'm better off with the Kotetsu?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:58 am

The Kotetsu outperformed the Mugen 4 in SPCR's review.