Temperature controlled fan for Hard drive?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MatsuraNatsuko

Temperature controlled fan for Hard drive?

Post by MatsuraNatsuko » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:56 am

I want my 120mm fans to run at 100% when the HDD temperature is above 40C, but become silent below 35C at 40% duty cycle.

Are there any hardware fan controller that can do this automatically?

CA_Steve

Re: Temperature controlled fan for Hard drive?

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:26 pm

It usually doesn't take very much airflow to keep HDDs reasonably cool unless they are placed in a harsh environment. In any case, take a look at SpeedFan. If it can read your HDD temp, and if your mobo is compatible with the s/w, then you can use the HDD temp to set up a fan profile.

MatsuraNatsuko

Post by MatsuraNatsuko » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:29 pm

I use speedfan on my windows desktop, but for unix/linux/mac that isn't a version for software control. These hard drives are used for my NAS box. Normally the temperature is fine, but weekly disc scrubs will run all drives at max load generating heat.

https://www.frozencpu.com/products/5298 ... ector.html

Would something like this work by attaching a thermal probe to an HD?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:23 pm

You could try. De-solder the sensor from the board and run a short twisted pair lead from it. Then tack the sensor to the metal top of the HDD with a non-electrically conductive / thermally conductive material.
Here's the installation pdf for it.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:29 pm

NMT-3. Put your fan downstream from the heat load, and the NMT will control its speed automatically based on the temperature.

edh

Post by edh » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:09 am

MatsuraNatsuko wrote:I want my 120mm fans to run at 100% when the HDD temperature is above 40C
What is wrong with 40C? Most drives can run a lot hotter and there are myths about temperature for hard drives effecting their reliability. What temperature does your drive get to? Unless you are using very slow running fans then you're going to be getting quite a lot of noise a lot of the time.

MatsuraNatsuko

Post by MatsuraNatsuko » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am

edh wrote:
MatsuraNatsuko wrote:I want my 120mm fans to run at 100% when the HDD temperature is above 40C
What is wrong with 40C? Most drives can run a lot hotter and there are myths about temperature for hard drives effecting their reliability. What temperature does your drive get to? Unless you are using very slow running fans then you're going to be getting quite a lot of noise a lot of the time.
I use 4TB HGST NAS drives. They idle at 39C and run hot 47-50C @ load especially when you a lot of them. I prefer to be below 40C at load. 3000RPM 120mm fans are loud leaving it running 100% all the time.