Firefox 44 was bad news for me

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CA_Steve

Firefox 44 was bad news for me

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:08 pm

Updated to Firefox 44 last week and it didn't do the one thing you really want a browser to do - browse. Spend a couple of hours over a couple of days trying to debug the bastard (clean installs, safe mode, registry scrub, firewall rules, A/V check, etc.) with no joy. Finally reverted to 43.0.4.

So, be cautious.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Firefox 44 was bad news for me

Post by xan_user » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:44 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Updated to Firefox 44 last week and it didn't do the one thing you really want a browser to do - browse. Spend a couple of hours over a couple of days trying to debug the bastard (clean installs, safe mode, registry scrub, firewall rules, A/V check, etc.) with no joy. Finally reverted to 43.0.4.

So, be cautious.
great. and just when I was thinking about switching to FF because chrome's last update reverted my bookmarks to 6 months ago, made adblock stop working and changed itself to open my last tabs, instead of my usual default page.

I know they are "free" and all, but why do they always seem to be so good breaking what ain't broke?!?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:45 am

CA_Steve wrote:Finally reverted to 43.0.4.

So, be cautious.
How did you do that?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:52 am

Firefox 44 is working fine for me in Win7. I also run it at home on my iMac, and I'll check the version tonight.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:41 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
CA_Steve wrote:Finally reverted to 43.0.4.

So, be cautious.
How did you do that?
Fairly non-intuitive process. :) Short version is Mozilla forum member pointed me here and I tracked down 43.0.4 in the directory. I backed up my bookmarks, uninstalled the old version, deleted mozilla's %appdata% folder in my user folder, and installed the old version.

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:42 am

That's quite strange. I haven't had any issue whatsoever regarding Firefox, except that they have disabled Logitech add-on recently. I'm currently using Firefox 44. I have used Firefox for so long a time that I can't even recall when I started to use it (or my memory is deteriorating).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:50 am

It might be that I've used Firefox for so long, migrating the profile from PC to PC, that the cruft built up to the point where it just made it unstable. I'm sure there's crap hiding in the registry that's obsolete..who knows whether it's conflicting with the current build or not. <shrugs>

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:56 pm

The UI changes in FF over the last years annoyed me sufficiently to change to Pale Moon or the FF ESR version. Just trying FF in Linux recently I found that what used to be the close window button in the top right corner closes the last tab and I had to take the extra step of clicking on the menu and then navigating down to find the close window button.
Last edited by DanceMan on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:13 pm

i use FF as my third browser, crome imo is the best, specially into how google is hiyacking my life between chrome and gmail they predict everything in andriod.... but the life has its prices.

Back to the subject, i have tested FF 44 and no issues to report with windows 7.