Questions about the ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV on a 980ti

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

boe

Questions about the ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV on a 980ti

Post by boe » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:18 pm

Hello,

I have a gift cert for dell and the only 980ti they offer is the PNY Geforce GTX 980ti. That would make my nice new quiet system too loud for me.

1 - has anyone used the Arctic Accelero Extreme IV on a 980ti? Any advice?

2 - will it work on any 980 ti card?

3 - Some person on YouTube said it didn't come with little radiators for the GPU side of the board and they got too hot even with the cooling on the top of the card. Any place to get good ones with the variety of sizes I want or is there any plate for the GPU side of the card I could use?

4 - any experience you can share on this would be helpful.

boe

Re: Questions about the ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV on a 980ti

Post by boe » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:00 pm

I'll consider other solutions if you feel strongly but the most I can go is a 3 slot solution. I have a card in the next slot down. I just noticed my motherboard has 1x16 then 2x1 then 1x16 again.

boost

Post by boost » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:49 pm

There are two 980ti from PNY: Vanilla and XLR8.
The XLR8 is not so bad in terms of noise, though not as good as Asus or MSI.
You could try if the Accelero fits with this VRM+RAM cooler on the XLR8 card.
Alternatively you could use the XLR8 cooler with different fans. Remove the plastic shroud from the cooler attach two 120mm PWM fans with zip ties and use a PWM splitter cable and a PWM graphics card adapter cable. I used this method on my EVGA 970 ACX. It's not on the same level as the Accelero Extreme, but it was acceptable to me. I much prefer the sound signature of the Noctua fans I used over the stock fans and the noise level didn't bother me in games.

boe

Post by boe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:54 am

boost wrote:There are two 980ti from PNY: Vanilla and XLR8.
The XLR8 is not so bad in terms of noise, though not as good as Asus or MSI.
You could try if the Accelero fits with this VRM+RAM cooler on the XLR8 card.
Alternatively you could use the XLR8 cooler with different fans. Remove the plastic shroud from the cooler attach two 120mm PWM fans with zip ties and use a PWM splitter cable and a PWM graphics card adapter cable. I used this method on my EVGA 970 ACX. It's not on the same level as the Accelero Extreme, but it was acceptable to me. I much prefer the sound signature of the Noctua fans I used over the stock fans and the noise level didn't bother me in games.
Thanks the only one I can get is the one Dell sells which is the Vanilla model.

Thanks for the advice on the 970 - I have the EVGA 780 and I might consider that method - will the EVGA card have enough power for 2 120 noctua's?

boost

Post by boost » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:49 am

boe wrote:Thanks for the advice on the 970 - I have the EVGA 780 and I might consider that method - will the EVGA card have enough power for 2 120 noctua's?
I never had any problem with power or otherwise. The 92mm fans fit snuggly in the ACX cooler and the card used 2.5 slots. With 120mm fans you'll need 3 slots.

boe

Post by boe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:16 am

boost wrote:
boe wrote:Thanks for the advice on the 970 - I have the EVGA 780 and I might consider that method - will the EVGA card have enough power for 2 120 noctua's?
I never had any problem with power or otherwise. The 92mm fans fit snuggly in the ACX cooler and the card used 2.5 slots. With 120mm fans you'll need 3 slots.
So did you replace the fans with the 90mm noctuas and leave the cover or did you remove the cover? I'd love a picture if you still have it!

boe

Post by boe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:24 pm

I could use a lot of spoon feeding as I've never tried to put a replacement cooler on a GPU (CPU - yes - many). This looks significantly more involved than a simple CPU cooler and I don't even know what all the parts are. I'm guessing the 15mmx10mm chips are memory, the 10x10mm are moseft - not sure about the smaller black chips or tiny things taken from this picture in the blue outline -

I'm trying to use this as a guideline for what parts to expect to purchase although I'm not sure I'll be able to cut the original cover like they dis so I'm worried about how to cool the little tiny guys in the blue area.

Also I'm not sure how to affix the radiators - thermal pads, glue...

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:30 pm

boe wrote:I could use a lot of spoon feeding as I've never tried to put a replacement cooler on a GPU (CPU - yes - many). This looks significantly more involved than a simple CPU cooler and I don't even know what all the parts are. I'm guessing the 15mmx10mm chips are memory, the 10x10mm are moseft - not sure about the smaller black chips or tiny things taken from this picture in the blue outline -

I'm trying to use this as a guideline for what parts to expect to purchase although I'm not sure I'll be able to cut the original cover like they dis so I'm worried about how to cool the little tiny guys in the blue area.

Also I'm not sure how to affix the radiators - thermal pads, glue...

It's odd, the Accelero Xtreme III comes with the coolers you need, but the IV model comes with a backplate instead.

A company called Enzotech makes tiny copper heatsinks (I think they come with thermal tape) and Arctic Silver makes a reliable thermal adhesive, but be careful with it because the bonds are permanent, and a little bit goes a long way.

http://www.enzotechnology.com/mos-c1.htm
http://www.enzotechnology.com/mos_c10.htm
http://www.enzotechnology.com/bmr_c1.htm

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silv ... hesive.htm

You may need to shorten the copper heatsinks so they'll fit under the Xtreme. Test their clearance before permanently attaching them.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:52 pm

Fire-Flare wrote:but be careful with it because the bonds are permanent, and a little bit goes a long way.

Just bond two opposite angles/ends and put TIM in between: this way you will be able to easily remove them with a razor blade, in case.

boe

Post by boe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:21 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
Fire-Flare wrote:but be careful with it because the bonds are permanent, and a little bit goes a long way.

Just bond two opposite angles/ends and put TIM in between: this way you will be able to easily remove them with a razor blade, in case.
Thanks do you mean use a tiny amount of the mixed glue on corners and put paste in between? Not sure what tim is.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:43 pm

boe wrote:Thanks do you mean use a tiny amount of the mixed glue on corners and put paste in between? Not sure what tim is.
Yes, the word "corner" didn't came to my mind (and yes TIM is thermal paste).

boe

Post by boe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks.

boost

Post by boost » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:04 am

boe wrote:So did you replace the fans with the 90mm noctuas and leave the cover or did you remove the cover? I'd love a picture if you still have it!
Sorry I don't have it anymore, the HDMI port stopped working. On the plus side EVGA gave me store credit for the original price and I upgraded to a 980ti for an additional charge.
This is what the card looked like without the cooler. First you have to take the cooler of. Then there are four small screws in the corner of the cooler that screw into the plastic of the shroud. They were't easy to remove. I just put the new fans in plave of the old, and they were sticking out ~15mm. And I secured them with two zip ties each. Not much to it really.
If you don't have to buy the PNY with the standard layout, there is an easier option: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G.
When you take the cooler of (4 screws) you'll have a card with a backplate and two coolers on the front, one for VRMs and one for the memory. Pic from: Techpowerup review You can put an aftermarket cooler like the Prolimatech Mk-26 or Raijintek Morpheus on the card like that. Clean of the old TIM, screw in the bracket to cooler (4 Screws), apply new TIM, screw cooler to card (4 screws) and you're done in 15 minutes. The Prolimatech comes with all the cables to attach two fans to the graphics card PWM header, for the Morpheus you'd have to buy a splittter and GPU PWM cable separately.