Need a new CPU cooler with more clearance for my video card

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

boe

Need a new CPU cooler with more clearance for my video card

Post by boe » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:23 pm

Anyone know of a very very quiet CPU cooler that will give me more clearance above the video card than my current ninja SCNJ-4000. I'm thinking about putting in the artic accellero IV. I have an I7-6700k.

I'm thinking about the Scythe Kotetsu

Fire-Flare

Re: Need a new CPU cooler with more clearance for my video c

Post by Fire-Flare » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:45 pm

How much space do you want between the card and the cooler, and how tall can the cooler be without touching the side panel?

boe

Post by boe » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:10 pm

I think about 15mm above the card should be fine. The current card is about 130x130plus the fan (130 from top to bottom - 155 from back of case to front of fan and about 155 tall from the CPU) I could easily fit something about 35mm taller - (190mm tall)

I was looking at the Scythe Kotetsu but it isn't rated for the socket 1151.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:29 pm

boe wrote:I was looking at the Scythe Kotetsu but it isn't rated for the socket 1151.
Socket 1151, 1150, 1156, 1155 all share the same footprint.

boe

Post by boe » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:13 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
boe wrote:I was looking at the Scythe Kotetsu but it isn't rated for the socket 1151.
Socket 1151, 1150, 1156, 1155 all share the same footprint.
Thanks if that is the case the Kotestsu might just do the trick.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:42 am

boe wrote:Thanks if that is the case the Kotestsu might just do the trick.

AFAIK (and as expected) Scythe officially stated Kotetsu 1151 compatibility since a long while ago.

boe

Post by boe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:01 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
boe wrote:Thanks if that is the case the Kotestsu might just do the trick.

AFAIK (and as expected) Scythe officially stated Kotetsu 1151 compatibility since a long while ago.
Thanks for confirming, I was on another scythe site that did not have it listed! I notice in every picture they always show it with the fan in the front blowing through the grill towards the back. Is there any problem with mounting it sideways so the fan points through the grill going up? CPU coolers are on a square base and the holes don't direct the cooler in a particular direction do they?
Last edited by boe on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smanci

Post by Smanci » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:03 am

TRUE Spirit 140 BW Rev.A or Trues Spirit 120 from Thermalright. Excellent coolers.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:07 am

Smanci wrote:TRUE Spirit 140
Probably it would give less clearance, not more.

Smanci

Post by Smanci » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:24 am

True Spirit 140 has variations and the mounting systems allows some movement. Rev A looks like this:

Ninja 4:

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:34 am

Im not too sure how much you need for clearing the backplate, i can measure if you wish, i still have an accelero IV on my 780, for me i needed an extra PCIe slot in between the 16x and the SA IBE. I leave you some pics for you to judge if changing the cooler will be your solution.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:56 am

Smanci wrote:True Spirit 140 has variations and the mounting systems allows some movement. Rev A looks like this:
Actually the True Spirit 140 seems to offer a 4/5mm less clearance towards the PCIe slots.

In case, it would be better to have the cooler fan facing up, not back.

boe

Post by boe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:00 am

[quote="Abula"]Im not too sure how much you need for clearing the backplate, i can measure if you wish, i still have an accelero IV on my 780, for me i needed an extra PCIe slot in between the 16x and the SA IBE. I leave you some pics for you to judge if changing the cooler will be your solution.

Thank you for the pictures! i'm thinking you have the space for pcie 1x slot space above your video card - mine does not on my main computer although it does over my secondary - this might be what you are saying. I have about 8mm clearance between the tab for the fan on my current GPU cooler (ninja4) and the current video card top (evga 780)

Spec wise they are pretty similar the thermal 140 and the Kotetsu- not sure which has better cooling - the only question is - is it possible to turn it 90 degrees to give me more clearance. In your current config your unit and my existing ninja4 have the same clearance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by boe on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

boe

Post by boe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:03 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Smanci wrote:True Spirit 140 has variations and the mounting systems allows some movement. Rev A looks like this:
Actually the True Spirit 140 seems to offer a 4/5mm less clearance towards the PCIe slots.

In case, it would be better to have the cooler fan facing up, not back.
So there is no issue with changing a cooler from facing the back towards up instead?

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:08 pm

boe wrote:
So there is no issue with changing a cooler from facing the back towards up instead?
Make sure it will clear the RAM and other heatsinks on the motherboard.

Otherwise, there isn't much to worry about.

boe

Post by boe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:16 pm

Fire-Flare wrote:
boe wrote:
Make sure it will clear the RAM and other heatsinks on the motherboard.

Otherwise, there isn't much to worry about.
Thanks

boe

Post by boe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:17 pm

[quote="Abula"][/quote]
I see in your picture you attached heat radiators to your memory on the video card. Does it make much of a difference if I use thermal glue or self adhesive ones?

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:39 pm

boe wrote:I see in your picture you attached heat radiators to your memory on the video card. Does it make much of a difference if I use thermal glue or self adhesive ones?
Well in theory it should help, how much i cant say, the real gain is on the VRMs where the temp can go really high, even higher than the GPU itself. But my card is an hybrid, first i installed an Accelero III thus you see the memory heatsinks (glue with artic alumina), then i installed the Accelero IV thus you see the backplate sytle heatsink, so i got the best of both designs =P

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:47 pm

boe wrote:So there is no issue with changing a cooler from facing the back towards up instead?

There's a chance it may work better.

Abula wrote:so i got the best of both designs =P

4 slots design = best of both ? Geez... :twisted:

boe

Post by boe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:07 pm

Abula wrote:
boe wrote:I see in your picture you attached heat radiators to your memory on the video card. Does it make much of a difference if I use thermal glue or self adhesive ones?
Well in theory it should help, how much i cant say, the real gain is on the VRMs where the temp can go really high, even higher than the GPU itself. But my card is an hybrid, first i installed an Accelero III thus you see the memory heatsinks (glue with artic alumina), then i installed the Accelero IV thus you see the backplate sytle heatsink, so i got the best of both designs =P
Thanks - can you tell me in the picture which are the VRMs?
I see 12 chips about 15mmx15mm surrounding the GPU (memory?), I see about 10 chips my guess is about 6x4mm to the right of the 4 15x15 chips to the right of the GPU (looking at the GPU side of the board) then about 6 sliver 10x10mm things and then another 12 5x4 chips. I'd like to be sure what runs the hottest and ideally they are.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:52 pm

boe wrote:
Abula wrote:
Thanks - can you tell me in the picture which are the VRMs?
I see 12 chips about 15mmx15mm surrounding the GPU (memory?), I see about 10 chips my guess is about 6x4mm to the right of the 4 15x15 chips to the right of the GPU (looking at the GPU side of the board) then about 6 sliver 10x10mm things and then another 12 5x4 chips. I'd like to be sure what runs the hottest and ideally they are.
The black little squares (the ones you have highlighted on light blue). On the accelero III you get some heatsinks for it, on the accelero IV its suppose to be cool by the backplate (same technique that asus uses, but they also use a frontal plate for it). I also placed heatsinks on the memory (black squares around the GPU), but really doesnt get as hot, some manufacturers like Asus even leave the memory without heatsinks and use the backplate to cool off the backside of them, MSI on the other hand uses a big front plate that touches the meomry and vrm, all manufacturers have different designs and ways to deal with heat.

boe

Post by boe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:16 pm

Abula wrote: Image
The black little squares (the ones you have highlighted on light blue). On the accelero III you get some heatsinks for it, on the accelero IV its suppose to be cool by the backplate (same technique that asus uses, but they also use a frontal plate for it). I also placed heatsinks on the memory (black squares around the GPU), but really doesnt get as hot, some manufacturers like Asus even leave the memory without heatsinks and use the backplate to cool off the backside of them, MSI on the other hand uses a big front plate that touches the meomry and vrm, all manufacturers have different designs and ways to deal with heat.[/quote]

Thanks! Do the silver things in the red outline get hot -(is that the MOSFET)? And one about the dozen things to the left of the 6(8) siver things)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:31 am

boe wrote:Do the silver things in the red outline get hot -(is that the MOSFET)?

Yes, but you can't cool them with heathsinks, they are already encapsulated (and no, they look like chokes, which feeds the mosfets: GPU VRM is a power circuitry made mainly by mosfets, those black chips within the light blue area).

boe

Post by boe » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:47 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
boe wrote:Do the silver things in the red outline get hot -(is that the MOSFET)?

Yes, but you can't cool them with heathsinks, they are already encapsulated (and no, they look like chokes, which feeds the mosfets: GPU VRM is a power circuitry made mainly by mosfets, those black chips within the light blue area).
Thanks!

boe

Post by boe » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:07 am

So I tried the thermalright macho B. It is a nice cooler HOWEVER they are directional the heat pipes prevent you from turning it on the CPU. It can only point from front to back or back to front. You would need a metal shim and a longer securing plate if you wanted to turn it 90 degrees. My search is on again.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:04 am

boe wrote:So I tried the thermalright macho B.

Apparently that's illogical.

boe wrote:My search is on again.

IIRC I think you've been already adviced: a slim tower.

boe

Post by boe » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:49 am

OK - I was being a total dork. The plate that you secure the cooler too on the CPU side can be screwed in in two directions. I took the cooler off - turned the plate and now I have JUST enough clearance. I could either get a slimmer fan, move the fan to the top to a pull configuration (touching the top exhaust fans of my case or just grind off about 3mm from the top radiator plate for the video card.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:34 pm

Have you considered the following?

1) New motherboard that has the 16x on the second PCIe slot (many mobos come with 1x on the first slot), this should set you for using MK26 for almost any GPU in the future.
2) Move the GPU to the second 16x and move your bottom card up, this would be the cheapest, i know the second 16x is wired 8x, but really dont cripple the current cards.
3) Get a MSI GTX 980Ti Lightling, quietest GTX980ti in the market, probably not as quiet as MK26, but for not worrying about clearance or voiding the warranty, kinda of a waste knowing pascal is a month away, probably two waiting for units to stock.

boost

Post by boost » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:13 am

boe wrote:OK - I was being a total dork. The plate that you secure the cooler too on the CPU side can be screwed in in two directions. I took the cooler off - turned the plate and now I have JUST enough clearance. I could either get a slimmer fan, move the fan to the top to a pull configuration (touching the top exhaust fans of my case or just grind off about 3mm from the top radiator plate for the video card.
I didin't want to be the one to say it when I read your post.
Removing 3mm from the radiator plate for a fan mount is a lot of work. And afterwards the fan doesn't have a lot of breathing room to pull air from. Better put the fan in the front intake position and be done with it. With so many fans the temps should be ok anyway.