Luma Router / mesh network Access Points

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
CA_Steve

Luma Router / mesh network Access Points

Post by CA_Steve » Fri May 27, 2016 2:09 pm

Now that I have more mobile devices in my house using wifi, one wireless router downstairs and a wired switch upstairs isn't cutting it. I'm hesitant to go with the typical router + AP solution. I find consumer routers to be fickle / the least reliable device in my network. No internet access? Nine out of ten times the solution is reboot the router. Don't think I want to double down there :) ..and I really really don't want to roll my own linux solution. I had some interest in Ubiquiti's Unifi APs. But, I'd still have the existing Asus router.

Eero just started shipping and early reviews look good. One unit acts as the router and two others are access points. I like the idea of mesh network/dual radios so the APs don't compete for router bandwidth. Pretty pricey at $500 for three, though. Another mesh solution is Luma. Not released yet, and no reviews, just CES buzz. Similar to eero but also includes some nice security features with decent granularity. Like eero, it has a phone app for admin and rather than pass out passwords, the user asks for access and you allow/deny via your phone...and can limit their access to the network/internet as a guest as well as set data limits/time limits and boot them at will. Presale pricing is $299 for 3 units.

Spec info is pretty limited and there's nothing on power use. I pinged customer support and got a cheery reply with no information other than more info will be available at product release. Oh, I did find out the wall wart is 1x1x2", but I don't know if the power plug on the device is straight or right angle/how far it protrudes. At least one of these would be hung on a wall and the current device is not set up for wall mounting...so it's a DIY affair.

So, even though I have absolutely no idea how well it'll perform, how stable it is, how I'll mount it on the wall, or how much power it uses, I pre-ordered three through Amazon (an equity owner in Luma). :) The good news is Amazon won't charge my credit card until the order is ready to ship, and while Luma is claiming Mid-June for shipments, Amazon says end of July when you've placed the order. So, I should have time to look at early reviews and kill the pre-order if it looks ugly...and worst case, Amazon has a great returns policy.

Stay tuned...

Abula

Re: Luma Router / mesh network Access Points

Post by Abula » Fri May 27, 2016 8:49 pm

Ubiquity Access Points to me are best, its enterprise grade hardware at very accessible price points, very easy to setup software. I have done 5 different networks with them in the last two years, really amazing stuff, you can even name all your network as one, and your devices move all over the newtwork without a hickup, i have no regrets, and recently i upgraded to their AC Pro versions to increase the throughput, all working great.

My setup is pretty simple,
RCA Cable Modem Router (provided by the ISP) 10/100
HP 1410 24 port Gigabit Switch 10/100/1000 (fanless)
2x Ubiquity AP AC Pro

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat May 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Abula wrote:Ubiquity Access Points to me are best, its enterprise grade hardware at very accessible price points, very easy to setup software.
agreed. ubiquiti's mesh is the only one ive seen that actually handles wifi handoffs without a hitch. I install about 2- 3 a week. (just make sure you have updated firmware)

abula what is the red led readout for, in the bottom middle? poe voltage? temperature?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat May 28, 2016 2:04 pm

xan_user wrote:abula what is the red led readout for, in the bottom middle? poe voltage? temperature?
Its Voltage from the grey PSU (wallwart), i bought 5x Gentle Typhoons AP11 (500rpm), the idea initially was to mod the switch and the router to add 3 fans (2 on the switch and one to the router) as they were fanless, but i tested and no cooling was needed, at least no issues ever, so decided to leave it as it is, and the reader was because i wanted to run 7V on the fans still (like 275rpms).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:36 pm

I cancelled my Luma order after looking at some early info on Ubiquiti's Amplifi mesh kit. :)