Xeon Skylake: E3-1200 v5 series - It looks awesome.

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Xeon Skylake: E3-1200 v5 series - It looks awesome.

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:05 pm

I was noticing the sick existence of something called a skylake xeon processor. They have ones that are 2.0ghz base clock and intel 530 graphics for 25 watt TPD. Talk about stability, no temps and computing power at the same time. It has turbo when you need it too

I am looking at the E3-1275 v5 for a new system. I am tired of unstable builds and parts. I know that Xeon with ECC on a "workstation" board would be higher chance of more stable and probably would last a long time in way I use a computer.

Xeon E3-1275 v5
# of Cores = 4 + 4 HT (8 threads)
Processor Base Frequency = 3.6 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency = 4 GHz
TDP 80 watts

The motherboard chipset is C236. It supposed "limits" home computing. I can't see how this is. I use an external DAC (works as soundcard) and the skylake xeon has 2x 16 lane pci-e 3.0 slots plus extra 4's. It has the DMI thing. USB 3.0. Only thing I do not see is a USB 3.1 port. It has crappy audio but i never use it. MSI is making a board, Gigabyte has a few, I am sure others make a few.

I would get standard ddr4 2133 15-15-15 memory ECC, 16 gb.

Any thoughts? I hear the ECC memory has about a 2% performance difference to non ecc memory which means 0 to anyone ever noticing it ever I would guess.

Abula

Re: Xeon Skylake: E3-1200 v5 series - It looks awesome.

Post by Abula » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:37 pm

ASUS E3 Pro Gaming V5 is a Xeon motherboard aimed at gamers
ASUS bullet points the following E3 Pro Gaming V5 motherboard highlights:

LGA1151 socket for Intel Xeon E3-1200 v5 processors and 6th-genereation Core, Pentium and Celeron processors
Dual-channel DDR4 2133 support
SupremeFX: Flawless audio that makes you part of the game
Sonic Radar ll: Scan and detect your enemies to dominate
Intel Gigabit Ethernet, LANGuard and GameFirst technology: Top-speed protected networking
RAMCache: Speed up your game loads
Gamer's Guardian: Highly-durable components and smart DIY features
USB 3.1 Type-A/C and M.2: Ultra-speedy transfers for faster gaming

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:09 am

I am not convinced that these are server parts. I really want server quality boards with one pci-e 3.0 and usb 3.0 i think is fine enough. 3.1 is nice of course. I could get a pci-e expansion card if necessary one day.

I believe the ASUS board does not use ECC. I am doubting the server quality of the non supermicro boards. I hear MSI has one coming out and Gigabyte already does on newegg. Not sure the level of quality of iether in server setting

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:36 pm

For the home user ECC is not needed, its benefit in certain server systems, i seen it important in storage servers where the data is extremely important and its one of the fail safes to avoid data corruption, but for the average user, i don't think its practical.

Usually people don't build home machines on supermicro, and personally i wouldn't, even though my server runs a supermicro mobo, i had issues with Scythe Kama Flex and the bios fan control, it seems they don't like each other and the fan when it goes low loses signal or the mobo cant read it, and gets scared and pushed the fans to 100%, to let them drop again, to be taken up again and again and again, its like its breathing, really annoying after 5mins.... my initial solution was to avoid the motherboard headers and user 3pin fans, then i tested Noctuas PWM and didn't have the issue, so im happy again, but still its something that was brought to supermicro (i was not the only one, nor scythe was the only manufacturer with this issue), and simply never was fixed, not sure how are the newer motherboards, but its understandable that in server environment they are not going for quietness nor thinking that the users will aim at this, probably most of this motherboards stand on U racks under air condition, etc, so its not a priority for them, so for me its best to go with what works, specially manufacturers like MSI and Asus that have good fan controls with their own designs, and work good for a wide range of fans.

The asus motherboard seems like good offering though, its to get close to i7 performance for close pricing to i5, specially someone that wont overclock, asus has toyed with the Xeon for consumers in the past, i remember the WS series was kinda like that but with ECC support, but this seems different, this board is more meant for consumers that want to use a xeon. Btw even if i7 dont support ECC, its not only Xeons that support ECC, a Intel Pentium Processor G4500 and also has intels 530.

PDP11

Post by PDP11 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:06 pm

I got burnt by a PC with defective non-ECC memory that resulted in intermittent, corrupted file saves. Nothing wrong with the disk drive or its interface, just the intermittent motherboard memory. Then that bad data was written into the backups.

I've also had experience with bad memory in other systems, starting with a Burroughs B5500 through to VAXen and PCs. I'm willing to pay for ECC memory in my PC at home which leads onto an Xeon processor and an appropriate motherboard. For my partner's PC that was the E3-1275v3 with an ASUS P9D-WS motherboard while my system is a second hand Thinkstation with an E3-1275v2 processor. ECC memory is appropriate for a home PC.

There is a price/performance/reliability trade off with ECC memory as the Xeon systems are not at the bleeding edge. Now to be properly paranoid about reliability run RAID SSDs for C drive with RAID HDs for data with the mandatory UPS. Reliability comes with a price tag.

Obviously our systems predate the v5 series but all I can say is the ASUS WS motherboard has been faultless. There were three variants of the P9D and the WS variant was the best for home.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:59 pm

Now that I am ready to buy, I am considering the following

one of those new Xeon's clocked high or an i7-5775c.

Chips are as follows:
i7-5775c
e3-1270 v5
e3-1275 v5

the two xeon chips are small price difference, one has an IGP the other does not. I am wondering if there is a benefit to one vs the other cooling or anything wise.

I would be using kingston 2x8gb memory for either setup, but the Xeons i would use ECC unregistered and the i7 I would use whatever mhz the system could take.

thoughts? one is 2133mhz DDR4 the other is some sort of DDR3. One Is on the Z97 chipset, the other is on C236 chipset. I like the idea of a chip and board that is designed for 24/7 work. The i7-5775c chip is for it's wonderful gaming edge e128 ram on it that creates the least low frame stutter out of any chip out there. Any thoughts? I know one is a 80w and one is a 65 watt, but ratings might not mean anything.

boost

Post by boost » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:28 pm

I buy the mainbaords with the most and newest connectors. DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 2.0, USB 3.1, M2 ad 8 SATA ports. I'm not going to use M.2 and USB3.1 right away, but I fully expect to use at least one during the system's lifetime. Spending money on a mainboard with more onboard connectors of the newest version (HDMI 2.0 over 1.4) always saved me money in the long run that I didn't have to spend on add-on cards, even if the mainboard was expensive. For that reason I bought a Asus Z-170 Deluxe.
The boards for Xeon V5 are better imho so I would buy that.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:00 am

oh, good point. More modern and better boards. that is a good point. C236 chipset is brand new.

that is a heavy reason to do so, being that i so slowly upgrade my system. Right now, I wish i had m2 port on my older machine and wish i had 3.1 for external backup, so good point there. I think my HDMI is fairly current. Hm. But maybe not as current as the xeon board. thank you :)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:08 pm

http://techreport.com/review/28751/inte ... reviewed/9

I point people to this review. It wasnt a review for the i7 5775c, but it became one showing how it dominates in gaming to such a large degree, it makes 1000 dollar processors sad. The time of low frame lag on it, the spike, is least with the 5775c than any other chip made in modern times. Most people say that a game that operates at like 30-40fps but never drops is very smooth. (FPS is no longer a real metric of game performance as is the time in the 1% range)

just a consideration if no one has learned about this. AMD currently is terrible in this category despite decent max/min framerates.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:23 am

anyone know the difference between the e3-1275 v5 and the e3-1270 v5?

One has graphics for +$9 dollars the other one does not. however, my question is not about that, but about the chip itself. Is the 1270 simply the same chip with just defective graphics unit disabled?

would there be a notable reduction in wattage not having the part of the chip enabled? I would get the 1270 if the thing generated less heat than the 1275. I will NOT be using the graphics part of the chip as I will be using a good gaming card with it. However, in future, it is nice to have a system that only uses the IGP, I think, so long as the cpu power draw is the same, might as well have the feature for 9 bucks. If it uses more wattage though, even when disabled in bios, then the 1270 would be more valued to me.

The main use of the machine is to game + SETI@Home number crunch. I will be using ddr4 2133 ECC non registered memory, 8gbs worth. Asus P10S-WS, a really nice looking "workstation" mother board. Has nice features on it, even a server grade NIC lan thing on it.

The sucker will be running 24/7 SETI@home. The GPU I will only put at like 50% usage as it burns up a lot of energy and video cards are kinda built like crap compared to a xeon server chip. So, the focus will be on cpu number crunching. I might even disable GPU when I go away for a few days to save on wattage and worry.

anyways, this is the system I propose, any thoughts on the 1270 vs 1275? I cannot find any reviews comparing them at all. I only see the lower model chips reviewed.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:12 am

Intel Ark is your friend. :)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:50 am

it has the TPD's as the same 80 watts.

:/

I duno. Does that make sense? I am deciding between i7-5775c build and a xeon e3-1200 v5 build. Quite different. I see that in scientific calculations, the skylake /xeon chips are superior in many ways, especially on Linux

that i7 5775c though is king of games and some "memory intensive" stuff

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:40 pm

Not an answer - but some background.
1) Intel throws groups of products into large TDP buckets: 65W class, 80W class, etc.. Heck, look at the "K" i5 and i7 parts. Both have same TDP, but the i7 definately will consume more power.
2) High intensity gfx tasks consumes part of the TDP budget leaving less for the CPU side.

Would the part with the iGP tend to not keep the CPU clocks at max turbo if the iGP is heavily engaged? Possibly. Maybe. Maybe not - depends on where the CPU's lie in the big TDP bucket. Hard to tell without actually logging the power use.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:13 am

Well, what i propose is to get one or the other e3 xeon chip and not use the IGP. does that change what you were trying to say? On a linux benchmark, on phoronix, the tpd's of various max/min e3-1200 v5's seem to be almost all the same on load, just 1-2 watt differences. that confused me to no end.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:35 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:does that change what you were trying to say?
nope.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:14 pm

now, for almost all chips in a series, they normally just disable a section rather than make a new chip. I dont know if that is true anymore with skylake chips or xeon chips.

I would think that they only disable them if they are "bad binned" and not inentional. Therefore, i would think that a 1270 if that is the case would be a 1275 with just an error. Flawed logic?

I buy a chip to last me 5-6 years and only have one computer to do all my oddball stuff. I do it right once and buy the most durable system possible that can power through science stuff and gaming. I use the latest USB sockets, I use SSD's only, I do not use mobo fan controls and always use bay controllers. Probably use the M2 slot too eventually

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:46 pm

disable or slower clock or whatever other tools available. But, it doesn't mean the lower grade device is actually flawed - they might have had to build more to this spec to meet demand. So, it's both binning by test and by market demand.