Windows 10

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Abula

Re: Windows 10

Post by Abula » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:08 am

My experience with windows 10 is limited atm, just one of my pc well two but one has been reverted, the OS seems fine, i personally really like it, but the updates not being able to control them.... its something that i cant have on my camera server, i can run certain apps on restart, but i run other services there that i need to do my self, so i reverted back to Windows 7 pro for the camera server. Im still waiting on my main PC to do the move, but i have tested a lot on my HTPC, and besides the updates and the privacy issues, it seems like a worthy upgrade over 7, will see in time how this OS stands, but there is no escaping it.

edh

Post by edh » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:15 am

Abula wrote:but there is no escaping it.
There's always Linux.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:59 am

edh wrote:
Abula wrote:but there is no escaping it.
There's always Linux.
But the games..... the games.... =), i would be in linux so fast if there were a way to have your games running.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:00 am

Yeah, the fast release cycle methodology seems to have growing pains :D

I'm still just using on my streaming HTPC.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue May 10, 2016 3:02 pm

Free upgrade stops on July 29, so I guess I need to start the "will this program work with Win 10" death march..erm..investigation :)

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Tue May 10, 2016 3:56 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Free upgrade stops on July 29, so I guess I need to start the "will this program work with Win 10" death march..erm..investigation :)
Lordy. That'll creep up pretty quickly. I'm really not a fan of upgrading the OS on my main machine on some rather arbitrary date. My gut instinct is to leave my Win 7 install well alone until such time as I'm intended a major system overhaul. But, y'know... paying for stuff sucks too.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue May 10, 2016 4:12 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Free upgrade stops on July 29, so I guess I need to start the "will this program work with Win 10" death march..erm..investigation :)
I like win10, but i think its up to each user weather they see it as a good thing, im going to leave 3 pcs with windows 7 and 2 are already on 10, i dont plan to change anything, it works good the way it is.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:57 pm

I have pro and crap version. crap version is on my work laptop. Pro is on my main tower I use much more.

The crap version, whatever they call it i duno, resets itself in the middle of dealing with patients. It just resets itself and updates the whole os for 1.5 hours. It is the worst piece of crap one can imagine.

The pro, I just defer updates and it's great. Completely different programs, nothing to do with one another.

Terrible thing is that I am going to upgrade my system and have to pay for it as the motherboard/chip will be new.

so, a temporary thing I guess it is.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:36 pm

Hi ~El~Jefe~, try going to: start/Settings/Update & security/advanced options - At the top should be a choice of 'Automatic(recommended)' or 'Notify to schedule restart'

Or alternatively, in start/Settings/Update & security/ there may be a 'Change active hours'.

HTH

Cheers

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:22 am

So the deadline is drawing close. I'll probably will give it a shot, but I feel this would be a good time to also upgrade my systems drive. Any recommendations for a M2 250-500GB SSD for an Asus Z97 Pro? Or should I stick with SATA?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:37 am

Cistron wrote:So the deadline is drawing close. I'll probably will give it a shot, but I feel this would be a good time to also upgrade my systems drive. Any recommendations for a M2 250-500GB SSD for an Asus Z97 Pro? Or should I stick with SATA?
Go with the M.2 if you want to get rid of cables, don't have a 2.5" slot available, or have apps that can thrash the hell out of your storage and can make use of PCIe BW. Go with SATA if you want it to run cooler.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:55 am

CA_Steve wrote:Go with the M.2 if you want to get rid of cables, don't have a 2.5" slot available, or have apps that can thrash the hell out of your storage and can make use of PCIe BW. Go with SATA if you want it to run cooler.
Hmm, now I'm actually unsure. Turns out cheapish NVMe drives are still rare. Bummer.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:12 pm

I got around to installing Win10 on my main and backup PCs last week. The whole 'you don't need to know what's going on behind the spinning wheel and no progress bar' stuff really turned what could have been an ok process into a pain in the ass. Really, would it kill them to show a window with the ongoing progress items in flight? It turned out one of the Windows updater functions was corrupted on my main PC, and so while MS cheerfully showed me it was "checking for updates", in reality it was just sitting there with it's thumb up it's ass. Did an online search for a solution after an hour or two of no apparent progress, deleted the offending files and then the install actually went forward.

Still have some oddities to work out..but this is the one I'm wondering about: I always put the PC to sleep before I walk away to do other things. Besides that, the power options are set for monitor off after 5 min idle and PC sleep after 30 min idle. Several times I've come back hours later and it's sitting there with the lock screen on.

Anyone run into this? What's the offending task and a solution (other than turning the PC off)?

HFat

Post by HFat » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:27 pm

I've seen a similar problem with the major W10 updates as well: don't know if it's stuck and you should reboot it or if waiting a bit longer would allow whatever is in process to finish cleanly. And you can't defer these updates long on Home. :-(

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:06 pm

Hi Steve, you may find that by going to 'control panel - power options' and then on the left hand side 'Choose what the power buttons do' and switching off 'Turn on fast startup' helps.

If it's greyed out, an option further up, in blue text, should allow you to "Change settings that are currently unavailable".

Getting to control panel is easiest by right clicking the Windows flag (Lower left) and then a different menu should pop up showing 'Control Panel'.

Hopefully this may help, good luck.

Pete

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:20 am

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:15 am

No Joy.

Dug a little deeper and found this post at superuser: Conclusively stop wake timers from waking Windows 10 desktop

rubberhose

Post by rubberhose » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:25 pm

I just upgraded on my laptop & was getting on with it ok until I tried to add a wireless mouse. Was working fine on Windows 8.1 & now neither my mouse or two others I've tried, will work. Tried messing around with the settings but can't seem to get it to work, any ideas?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:06 am

I have heard a serious warning against getting the Anniversary build: http://www.datacad.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15619

Despite doing (I think?) what was recommended to avoid this update, I still got it Saturday morning. It did break F@H, so my son rolled it back very easily, and I am still running the previous build.