GTX 1060 Compilation Thread

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kralnor
Friend of SPCR

Re: GTX 1060 Compilation Thread

Post by Kralnor » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:05 am

Aart wrote:Has anyone tried the Palit Dual yet? Or can anyone guess how well it will do in a well ventilated case with vertical orientation, like a Silverstone FT02?

I'm undecided between Palit Dual and MSI Gaming X. I know that the MSI card is supposed to be superior, and its Twin Frozr cooler gets good references from vertical case owners. But it's priced 50 euros above the Palit Dual card, quite a difference. Can't find anything on Palits coolers when mounted vertically (aside from the Jetstream, which is a different cooler), though it should be all right judging by the orientation of the fins and heatpipes.

So... should there really be that much difference between a budget Palit card in a heavily cooled FT02 case, and the Gaming X? If you have an opinion, I'd love to hear it. :)
I have the Palit Dual and would recommend against it for the noise-conscious user. I also had my eyes on the MSI Gaming X, but due to the significant price difference, I settled on the Palit Dual.

FWIW, I'm using it in a Fractal R3 with stock fans running at ~800 RPM. With a moderate overclock, it hits the high 70's in Heaven and the fans ramp up above 2k RPM. The stock cooler really seems quite poor.

I've also posted some findings above. If there's any other information you would like, I will try to provide it.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:05 am

I'm undecided between Palit Dual and MSI Gaming X. I know that the MSI card is supposed to be superior, and its Twin Frozr cooler gets good references from vertical case owners. But it's priced 50 euros above the Palit Dual card, quite a difference. Can't find anything on Palits coolers when mounted vertically (aside from the Jetstream, which is a different cooler), though it should be all right judging by the orientation of the fins and heatpipes.
If you go by TechPowerUp reviews to be able to compare aplpe to apples, its 4db higher at load, still at 32, give or take how my MSI GTX1080 Gaming X was measured by TPU, and to me its quiet, but its up to you, if the price difference its worth a quieter setup.

Kralnor
Friend of SPCR

Post by Kralnor » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:09 am

Abula wrote:If you go by TechPowerUp reviews to be able to compare aplpe to apples, its 4db higher at load, still at 32, give or take how my MSI GTX1080 Gaming X was measured by TPU, and to me its quiet, but its up to you, if the price difference its worth a quieter setup.
I believe that's the Palit GTX 1060 Super JetStream and not the Dual?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:16 am

6GB: Inno3D iChill and EVGA SC Gaming @ Hexus and MSI 6GT OC @ Guru3D added.

3GB: MSI Gaming X @ Guru3D added.

Delirious

Post by Delirious » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:04 pm

keif wrote:Well using a standard 25mm fan seems to be a bust. With an NF-A9 it was running at 83c and 1600rpm and it was actually louder than the stock fan. I think this is likely because there's only about 3mm between the bottom of the Rosewill U2 with a 25mm fan which you can see here, the shroud on the NF-A9 blocks a significant amount of airflow and not having the heat sink shroud on probably doesn't help either.

I got the idea from Lawrence's Big Shuriken review where he measured a 9c difference at the same noise level between a 14mm and 25mm fan but I guess the circumstances with a GPU are much different.

I put the stock fan and shroud back on and it's back to 80c and 1500rpm. I was also able to add a piece of soft foam between the fan and heat sink which I think has significantly reduced the howling/humming from the bearings but I want to test it at stock again.
I have used the Evga GTX 1060 SC for some time now and have the same experience. Running heaven benchmark i hit about 80C at around 1560rpm. I also tried with an noctua 25mm 92mm fan and due to the heatsink design this does not seem to be a good solution.

The cards seems solid and well built and I can see the cooler working well on a card with a lower tdp. I myself will be fitting the card with an Accelero Turbo III and 25mm fans.

keif

Post by keif » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:37 pm

Delirious wrote:
keif wrote:Well using a standard 25mm fan seems to be a bust. With an NF-A9 it was running at 83c and 1600rpm and it was actually louder than the stock fan. I think this is likely because there's only about 3mm between the bottom of the Rosewill U2 with a 25mm fan which you can see here, the shroud on the NF-A9 blocks a significant amount of airflow and not having the heat sink shroud on probably doesn't help either.

I got the idea from Lawrence's Big Shuriken review where he measured a 9c difference at the same noise level between a 14mm and 25mm fan but I guess the circumstances with a GPU are much different.

I put the stock fan and shroud back on and it's back to 80c and 1500rpm. I was also able to add a piece of soft foam between the fan and heat sink which I think has significantly reduced the howling/humming from the bearings but I want to test it at stock again.
I have used the Evga GTX 1060 SC for some time now and have the same experience. Running heaven benchmark i hit about 80C at around 1560rpm. I also tried with an noctua 25mm 92mm fan and due to the heatsink design this does not seem to be a good solution.

The cards seems solid and well built and I can see the cooler working well on a card with a lower tdp. I myself will be fitting the card with an Accelero Turbo III and 25mm fans.
Interesting. It's good to have someone else confirm that.

I'd be very interested to see how that performs. There is a user on reddit who fitted one here. It seems to perform really well but they didn't share too many details.

Since the GPU is quite offset on the PCB, I wonder if you could mount it the other way than what they did - so that the end of the heatpipes would be facing the PCI slot. Otherwise, it seems to extend too far past the PCB for my case.

Delirious

Post by Delirious » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:28 pm

I will post my results when I have got the cooler installed and have done some testing.

Interesting idea about the mono plus. I have the ncase m1 and seeing as the case is only 140mm wide 120mm fan aftermarket vga coolers seems to be out of the question. However users at hardforum have fitted both the Accelero Twin turbo II/III and the Accelero xtreme. Removing the stock fan should provide just enough room for 2 x 120mm fans mounted to the case floor.

Kralnor
Friend of SPCR

Post by Kralnor » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:17 am

The Accelero Mono looks really interesting. I suppose it would be an option for dual fan boards as well.

keif

Post by keif » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:18 pm

So I was bored and did a quick mock-up in Photoshop with the Arctic Mono and EVGA SC/Founders Edition PCB which I've attached below. I scaled them to size and it looks like it will fit as I described in my last post. You might to have to trim the fins on the PCI slot side and possibly around the DVI port as well though.

I'm a bit tempted now myself. :wink: Would be nice to get some cooling on the mosfets and vram too. But I measured the space between the GPU die and the bottom of my case and I only have 52mm and the Mono is 51mm thick. I'm not sure how that would effect it and I'm not too keen on cutting a hole in the bottom of the U2.

I also finally received the Gigabyte fan after it got lost in the mail. I did back to back comparisons in Valley and they performed completely identical. Here are the GPU-Z screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/81I9m

For noise, I have to do more comparing but it doesn't have the ball-bearing scraping noise of the EVGA fan or any clicking noise either. At 650rpm it's not audible to me from even a foot's length and that reduces the idle temperature by 10c compared to having the fan off. At higher RPM it sounds very similar in volume and frequency with a similar humming/howling sound.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Delirious

Post by Delirious » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:51 pm

I just installed the twin turbo III in my ncase and works perfectly. I will have to do some more testing but temps and noise is way down. It is a tight fit though and I will have find some way of connecting the usb 3.0 header again. RAM clearance could also potentially pose a problem.

keif

Post by keif » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:25 pm

Delirious wrote:I just installed the twin turbo III in my ncase and works perfectly. I will have to do some more testing but temps and noise is way down. It is a tight fit though and I will have find some way of connecting the usb 3.0 header again. RAM clearance could also potentially pose a problem.
Oh, my bad, I misread and thought you ordered the Mono which is why I brought it up in my previous posts. Glad to hear though.

Is the RAM and USB 3.0 header tight clearance because of the fins on the back plate? Can you install the cooler without the back plate? If nothing else you could take a hack saw or dremel to the fins.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:20 am

MSI Gaming 3GB @ Techpowerup added.

Delirious

Post by Delirious » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:39 am

keif wrote:
Delirious wrote:I just installed the twin turbo III in my ncase and works perfectly. I will have to do some more testing but temps and noise is way down. It is a tight fit though and I will have find some way of connecting the usb 3.0 header again. RAM clearance could also potentially pose a problem.
Oh, my bad, I misread and thought you ordered the Mono which is why I brought it up in my previous posts. Glad to hear though.

Is the RAM and USB 3.0 header tight clearance because of the fins on the back plate? Can you install the cooler without the back plate? If nothing else you could take a hack saw or dremel to the fins.

The ncase is a pretty narrow case so I thought the twin turbo would be a better fit there. Yes the problem is with the backplate. It is possible to not use the backplate if one does not want to. I was hoping there was some kind of angled usb 3.0 header adapter that I could use. But not sure such a thing exists.

Also I might have gone with the MSI Gaming X if there was room enough.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:01 am

MSI Gaming 3GB @ Hexus added.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:08 am

Asus Strix OC 6GB @ Techpowerup added.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:54 am

Asus Dual OC 3GB @ ComputerBase added. No passive state, some e-noise.

djkest

Post by djkest » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:10 am

Right now I am seriously considering the following cards:

ASUS STRIX 1060 6GB, $245 shipped after discounts and rebates
Gigabyte 1060 6GB, $220.24 shipped after discounts

Do you think the STRIX is worth the extra money? Looks slick, and supposedly it's made of higher quality parts?

I would love to OC a little bit, but I would be very cautious about the fan profiles. I haven't heard much on these cards from a silence perspective, but I do know STRIX has a history of doing good things in SPCR systems.

Kralnor
Friend of SPCR

Post by Kralnor » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:23 am

djkest wrote: Gigabyte 1060 6GB, $220.24 shipped after discounts
I believe that model is equal to the Palit GTX 1060 Dual, which I happen to own. I would recommend against it for the noise conscious user - with a moderate overclock, mine hits a fan RPM of ~2k and reaches the high 70's (Celcius, of course) during Heaven Benchmark. Not very impressive.

djkest

Post by djkest » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:36 am

Kralnor wrote:
djkest wrote: Gigabyte 1060 6GB, $220.24 shipped after discounts
I believe that model is equal to the Palit GTX 1060 Dual, which I happen to own. I would recommend against it for the noise conscious user - with a moderate overclock, mine hits a fan RPM of ~2k and reaches the high 70's (Celcius, of course) during Heaven Benchmark. Not very impressive.
Thanks, that's good information to know.

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:59 am

Supposedly quietest and coolest under load 1060: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gig ... ng/25.html

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:32 am

Kralnor wrote:(Celcius, of course)

OT: Celsius, of course. :wink:

yakuman wrote:Supposedly quietest and coolest under load 1060: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gig ... ng/25.html

The quietest likely on par with the MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X (if an alternative option were needed).

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:07 am

Gainward GTX 1060 / Palit GTX 1060 Dual 6GB

I have the above card. The older cards come with older BIOS with 0db tech on idle, the newer cards come with new BIOS idle 800rpm/25%.

Have tried the older BIOS, but the temperature threshold is 50C. This is easily hit when watching Youtube 1080p (Adobe Flash player), causing the fan to keep switching between on and off. Lousy temperature threshold.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:07 am

djkest wrote:Right now I am seriously considering the following cards:

ASUS STRIX 1060 6GB, $245 shipped after discounts and rebates
Gigabyte 1060 6GB, $220.24 shipped after discounts

Do you think the STRIX is worth the extra money? Looks slick, and supposedly it's made of higher quality parts?

I would love to OC a little bit, but I would be very cautious about the fan profiles. I haven't heard much on these cards from a silence perspective, but I do know STRIX has a history of doing good things in SPCR systems.
How much can you get the MSI?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 am

Cheapest US price for the MSI Gaming X 6GB is around $290..or $280 if you like MIRs. (NewEgg).

djkest

Post by djkest » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:25 am

Well, I just ordered an Asus ROG Strix 1060GTX 6GB... will be $244.99 when I get my MIR back. I was really attracted to the sexy laser-cut aluminum backplate, lol. And it looks like a stealth fighter. So I guess I paid more because it looks cool.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:22 am

Added Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming @ Techpowerup. Looks to have similar noise to MSI Gaming X with better temp profile.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:27 am

CA_Steve wrote:Added Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming @ Techpowerup. Looks to have similar noise to MSI Gaming X with better temp profile.
Seems like a better buy, although its $20 more, the only downside i see is its triple slot.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:58 am

MSI Gaming X and EVGA FTW + Gaming @ hardwareLUXX added. I think these are better than 1000dpi :)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:49 am

Roundup @ ComputerBase added. Includes Asus Strix OC, EVGA GTX 1060, Gainward GTX 1060, Gigabyte G1 Gaming, Inno3D iChill X3, KFA² OC, MSI GeForce Gaming X, Palit Dual, Palit Super JetStream, Zotac AMP.

Smanci

Post by Smanci » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:03 am