Seasonic "Super" series poll

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Seasonic functionality

My Super Tornado works fine
27%
My Super Tornado fan/controller doesn't work right
30%
My Super Silencer works fine
24%
My Super Silencer fan/controller doesn't work right
20%

Total votes: 71

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:32 pm

I have the Super Silencer 400 A2 revision and I'm not happy with it at all. I find it revving up and down while case temperature remains constant at 33C. Perhaps the SS is itself heating up too much and causing the problem? Considering that others have noted this revving up and down, and Ralf says the A2 revision acts differently than A1 revision, I'd say Seasonic has made a bad modification.

I didn't vote because I am not absolutely certain the SS isn't heating up for lack of proper ventilation. I will know more after getting a Nexus NX-3000, and then I can make a valid statement about this revving up and down.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:14 am

sigh, but it's such an efficient PSU! I'm bout to open the back grills on my SS and I swapped the fan out. Perhaps that would help you?

It seems like the efficiency would give it such potential...

I tell you, grab a drill and drill the fan holes to 3/16" and slide in fan isolators through a Panaflo M1A.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:57 am

Trip wrote:sigh, but it's such an efficient PSU! I'm bout to open the back grills on my SS and I swapped the fan out. Perhaps that would help you?

I tell you, grab a drill and drill the fan holes to 3/16" and slide in fan isolators through a Panaflo M1A.
That's fine, but as long as you hook up the replacement fan to the original Seasonic fan control circuit, all you'll end up with is a quieter fan than the original that still revs up and down constantly. It may be less annoying but I'd bet it'd still get on your nerves. It's too bad that you'd have to think about modding a $90 PSU to actually get it to work. Seems like BS to me.

Until Seasonic changes their rev A2 type of fan control circuitry I would only suggest getting an SS400 if you could be sure you're getting a rev A1 version.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:27 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Trip wrote:sigh, but it's such an efficient PSU! I'm bout to open the back grills on my SS and I swapped the fan out. Perhaps that would help you?

That's fine, but as long as you hook up the replacement fan to the original Seasonic fan control circuit, all you'll end up with is a quieter fan than the original that still revs up and down constantly. It may be less annoying but I'd bet it'd still get on your nerves. It's too bad that you'd have to think about modding a $90 PSU to actually get it to work. Seems like BS to me.

Until Seasonic changes their rev A2 type of fan control circuitry I would only suggest getting an SS400 if you could be sure you're getting a rev A1 version.
I don't see how you can get an A1 revision, unless it's a used unit.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:49 am

JVM wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:

Well, that'd be one way but there's also the possibility that there's A1's floating around that are brand-new in the box. Of course you couldn't tell until you open the box. It couldn't hurt to ask the dealer to check. The worst he could do is say "no".

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:55 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
JVM wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote: That's fine, but as long as you hook up the replacement fan to the original Seasonic fan control circuit, all you'll end up with is a quieter fan than the original that still revs up and down constantly. It may be less annoying but I'd bet it'd still get on your nerves. It's too bad that you'd have to think about modding a $90 PSU to actually get it to work. Seems like BS to me.

Well, that'd be one way but there's also the possibility that there's A1's floating around that are brand-new in the box. Of course you couldn't tell until you open the box. It couldn't hurt to ask the dealer to check. The worst he could do is say "no".
That may be like searching for a SP 0812N, or was it SP 0802N? :P

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:59 am

JVM wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote: Well, that'd be one way but there's also the possibility that there's A1's floating around that are brand-new in the box. Of course you couldn't tell until you open the box. It couldn't hurt to ask the dealer to check. The worst he could do is say "no".
No because the SS400 rev A1 actually exists (I have 3 of them) whereas the SP0812N was vaporware.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:11 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
JVM wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote: Well, that'd be one way but there's also the possibility that there's A1's floating around that are brand-new in the box. Of course you couldn't tell until you open the box. It couldn't hurt to ask the dealer to check. The worst he could do is say "no".
No because the SS400 rev A1 actually exists (I have 3 of them) whereas the SP0812N was vaporware.
Well, it existed. The problem now is where it may still exist?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:26 pm

JVM wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:
JVM wrote: That may be like searching for a SP 0812N, or was it SP 0802N? :P
It exists within us all. It is a part of nature and we breath it in with every breathe we take. We are all one with the rev A1. Ooooommmmmmm.........

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:39 pm

Go ahead and brag. Yes, go ahead and rub it in. But when that lightning strikes and your rev A1 goes kerplunk, I wonder what you'll be breathing then. :lol:

YES, then we will truly be as one. :D

Baker

Post by Baker » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:09 pm

Well I got a rev2 SS400 today, and I'm shocked at just how bad it is, at least for a machine like mine:

Barton 2500+ oc'd to 3000+ (194 Mhz FSB) on Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Thermalright SLK-800U w/ panaflo L1A @ ~8v
Radeon 9800 Pro w/Zalman HP80C w/attached fan @ 5v
120 gig Barracuda V with Enermax 80mm w/thermistor pointed at it
Plextor Premium CDRW
120mm Enermax Adjustable @ ~4v in rear fan slot
Antec Sonata (foamed)
Audigy2ZS + wireless card

If I bring the task manager up, I can hear the fan oscillating up and down in perfect unison with the CPU load. And the fan makes a lot of clicking noise no matter what speed it is.

I don't expect this system to be dead quiet, but the changes in fan speed are just too annoying. I've already put back in my Fortron 120mm 350w (non-aurora). Its not that bad if I reverse the flow of the Enermax in the back to bring in cool air. It will speed up if I start playing a game, but its much more consistent which in the end is easier to ignore.

Anyway, its my first post but I've been a lurker for a long time. I knew sooner or later I'd have to start posting, and of course become a patron at some point :o) So a belated thanks to all of the folks on here that help feed my compulsion.

Now if I could only stop loving games so much, I could get a machine that doesn't throw off 8 billion watts of energy when it's all fired up... it would probably be a lot easier to keep quiet.

-Baker

mrk22

Post by mrk22 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:01 pm

The one I picked up a week or two ago from the local MicroCenter was an A1 revision. They also had a bunch of Super Tornados without the "it's normal for the fan to be stopped" stickers.

That's one way to try to determine if they have any A1s in stock. AFAIK, the newer Tornados have the sticker, so if they've got Tornados without stickers, then the Super Silencers might be older versions, too.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:26 am

mrk22 wrote:
The one I picked up a week or two ago from the local MicroCenter was an A1 revision. They also had a bunch of Super Tornados without the "it's normal for the fan to be stopped" stickers.

That's one way to try to determine if they have any A1s in stock. AFAIK, the newer Tornados have the sticker, so if they've got Tornados without stickers, then the Super Silencers might be older versions, too.
I need an online store. I'm in the country and just pet supply stores around here. :)

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:30 am

Baker wrote:Well I got a rev2 SS400 today, and I'm shocked at just how bad it is, at least for a machine like mine:

Barton 2500+ oc'd to 3000+ (194 Mhz FSB) on Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Thermalright SLK-800U w/ panaflo L1A @ ~8v
Radeon 9800 Pro w/Zalman HP80C w/attached fan @ 5v
120 gig Barracuda V with Enermax 80mm w/thermistor pointed at it
Plextor Premium CDRW
120mm Enermax Adjustable @ ~4v in rear fan slot
Antec Sonata (foamed)
Audigy2ZS + wireless card

If I bring the task manager up, I can hear the fan oscillating up and down in perfect unison with the CPU load. And the fan makes a lot of clicking noise no matter what speed it is.

I don't expect this system to be dead quiet, but the changes in fan speed are just too annoying. I've already put back in my Fortron 120mm 350w (non-aurora). Its not that bad if I reverse the flow of the Enermax in the back to bring in cool air. It will speed up if I start playing a game, but its much more consistent which in the end is easier to ignore.

Anyway, its my first post but I've been a lurker for a long time. I knew sooner or later I'd have to start posting, and of course become a patron at some point :o) So a belated thanks to all of the folks on here that help feed my compulsion.

Now if I could only stop loving games so much, I could get a machine that doesn't throw off 8 billion watts of energy when it's all fired up... it would probably be a lot easier to keep quiet.

-Baker
Welcome Baker!

I also have a "Barton" 2500+ but not overclocking. So, you also have the fan speeding up and down. Seems like this is a rev A2 thing and the Seasonic Super Silencer 400 needs to be adjusted in the Recommended section.

Damn shame, isn't it? I mean, $99 dollars and you have to deal with this crap.

I just noticed you also have the Sonata with the acoustipack material. Did you block the Antec holes?

Baker

Post by Baker » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:59 am

Hey JVM, thanks!

I should have been more specific about the foam, I got a batch of that melamine foam from McMaster. It seems to work pretty well considering there doesn't seem to be a tremendous amount of mass to it. I'd like to get some acoustipak at some point, although I'll probably just do it the next time I do a major upgrade, I've banged up my Sonata case pretty good and it will be nice to start fresh. I'd really love to get my hands on an Athlon64 w/ a mobo that supports cool 'n' quiet.

One of these days I'm going to try underclocking my CPU and seeing what effect that has on the overall noise level...

-Baker

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:36 am

Baker wrote:Hey JVM, thanks!

I should have been more specific about the foam, I got a batch of that melamine foam from McMaster. It seems to work pretty well considering there doesn't seem to be a tremendous amount of mass to it. I'd like to get some acoustipak at some point, although I'll probably just do it the next time I do a major upgrade, I've banged up my Sonata case pretty good and it will be nice to start fresh. I'd really love to get my hands on an Athlon64 w/ a mobo that supports cool 'n' quiet.

One of these days I'm going to try underclocking my CPU and seeing what effect that has on the overall noise level...

-Baker
If you go for the acoustipack - go for the pre-cut for Sonata. By the way, I don't know if you are going to notice much of a difference with acoustipack. The pre-cut is fairly thin and not like the Deluxe version which I think is because of room.

Did you block the side Antec holes with foam or something?

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:09 am

I don't get these poll results. The numbers don't add up to 100. :?:

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:20 am

marc999 wrote:I don't get these poll results. The numbers don't add up to 100. :?:
You're right! I just added it up and it comes to 98% So what happened to the other 2%?

Baker

Post by Baker » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:39 am

Oh yeah, sorry JVM, forgot that question... Yup, the holes are covered up. I didn't see any temp differences when they were open or not, MAYBE 1C difference.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:10 pm

Baker wrote:Oh yeah, sorry JVM, forgot that question... Yup, the holes are covered up. I didn't see any temp differences when they were open or not, MAYBE 1C difference.
The only thing I'm thinking is with the holes covered up, the PSU might be running hotter without the extra ventilation and thereby speeding up? But with so many other people complaining of this same issue, it's probably just the fan controller technology.