superflower 350ss 140mm fan review

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

johnjkr

superflower 350ss 140mm fan review

Post by johnjkr » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:01 am

Looks like overclockers.com wrote up a review of the superflower 350ss 140mm fan power supply, they seemed to like its quietness quite a bit..

http://www.overclockers.com/articles966/

I'm going to pick one up for $40 in a couple of days, i'll post my experiences vs my antec sonata power suppply

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: superflower 350ss 140mm fan review

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:16 am

johnjkr wrote:Looks like overclockers.com wrote up a review of the superflower 350ss 140mm fan power supply, they seemed to like its quietness quite a bit..
I don't know how they can tell. The system they tested it in has more fans in it than all 4 of my systems combined, and none of them are particularly quiet.

Look:

1x 172mm Comair Rotron Patriot fan (24v running on 12v), 1x 40mm fan, 1x 50mm fan, 1x 80mm tri-LED fan, 4x Sunon Model # KD1208PTB2 80mm fans.

shunx

Post by shunx » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:41 am

IMO subjective ratings from sources not dedicated to silence are meaningless here, especially when they have more than one non-quiet fans running.

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:31 pm

Good points Ralf and shunx, but I still think it has potential, considering it uses a 14cm fan!!

Anyway, I guess we'll know soon enough. Please don't forget to post your results johnjkr!! :D

johnjkr

Post by johnjkr » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:37 pm

Still waiting to complete my order. Ralf and shunx, I never said "HEY! This is the greatest power supply EVER!" I just pointed out that SOMEONE finally took a look at it. I've been trying to find ANY information about it, and overclockers was the first to even discuss this power supply. The specs sound great, but we all know what those are worth, so it was nice to see a third party review. When I get one, I'll post it ASAP.

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:08 pm

Any results yet johnjkr?

Seal

Post by Seal » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:28 pm

overclockers.com users' idea of silence is nowhere near our standards of silence

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:09 pm

If a 140mm fan isn’t exclusive enough for you, how about an 11 volt power rail...
http://www.rbmods.com/Articles/Superflower/Ts350/1.php

Seal

Post by Seal » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:40 pm

wow thats quite dangerous! that'll definately lead to major instabilitys under load...

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:13 pm

that was not a very good review. i could of wrote one that was better then that. I would of liked to see some readings from a volt meter. i have seen motherboard volts vary alot. i ordered the 550w 14cm unit. it will be here thrusday, i will let you all know what i think of it. i have a antec 480w truebluw right now that is too loud for me.

maybe the guy got a bum unit for review, it happens with all companies.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:23 am

dukeman wrote:...i ordered the 550w 14cm unit. it will be here thrusday, i will let you all know what i think of it...
The 550 did much better in this review... http://www.systemcooling.com/superflower_sf550-01.html

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:50 am

i got the powersupply in and hooked it up to a computer at work. the system i set it up with doesnt draw 1\2 of what my computer at home will draw but i just wanted to check the 12v. i had a cd rom and one harddrive hooked into it with the mother board. i ran defrag and was loading a cd and the voltage never went below 11.95 or above 12.14 while being measured with a fluke meter.
i took some pics of everthing but cant figure out how to post them.

the ps is very sweet looking, really nice finish. the connectors are a little long for my taste but they will be long enought for any case. this baby is very quiet, on auto it is barely audiable, but that is with very little load. on silent it is unaudiable from about 1 ft away while not being installed in a case, it is stilling on the table about 3 feet away and i cant hear it. on turbo it is about as loud as my antec 480 true blue is while my system is not being stressed. so far i like it alot.

i will be posting some more indepth stuff when i put it in my computer at home that draws alot more power, i figure she draws a little over 300watts.

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:53 am

also forgot to mention that even on silent this beast moves alot of air, much more then my antec.

on turbo i had to hold it down or it was going to take off. cooling should not be a problem with this ps.

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:44 am

Sounds pretty sweet!! May be just the thing to replace my aging 300W Qtech. My OC'd Barton is causing the 12V rail to go over 12.60V if I push too hard (for some reason it goes up with load, not down). Anyway, keep us posted regarding the 12V rail on your home comp.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:35 pm

hey dukeman and johnjkr

how is the new 140mm PSU working out??

just curious how this one works out

~RaNDoM

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:39 am

I have decided to keep the super flower 550w 14cm fan ps in my case instead of the antec 480w trueblue.

the SF(super flower) supply is much, much, much more quiet. It is not silent but in is the closest i have gotten so far. i just plugged in my mother board and 1 harddrive to see how quiet is was and i was very suprised. on auto and silent it is very quiet, i think it is more turbulance then fan noise. I then went ahead and connected the rest of my crap and fired it up. with all the junk installed there was no difference in noise. my problem now is my 3 papst L1 fans, 1 silentx, and 1 antec thermal fan are really noticable. i now have to figure out what fans to leave in and what to take out. with this ps my cpu temps have dropped 3-4c because of the lower temp that it runs at and the increase in air flow.

I think i am going to leave the 2 back fans in and remove the other three. My case has great air flow and i think it will not raise my cpu temps by only running 2 fans. I have the artic silencer on my vid card so the heat is sent out the back and not into the case. I unplugged all the other fans except for the back two and she was really quiet. I am going to run it like that overnight with SETI running to see how it does.

also my voltages are now rock steady. the antec had a low +12v for some reason. i am going to sell it on ebay, if i need another supply i will get a SF again.

more to come in the future.

Seal

Post by Seal » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:22 am

cool, why dont you put your other fans on 7v or 5v

alglove

Post by alglove » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:41 pm

Dukeman, how are the voltages on your power rails? Some of the reviews I saw online noted that the Superflowers were low on the +12V. What are your case temps like? Does the PSU fan speed or noise change noticeably as the system warms up or is under load?

NeilBlanchard

here's your answer...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:25 pm

dukeman wrote:i got the powersupply in and hooked it up to a computer at work. the system i set it up with doesnt draw 1\2 of what my computer at home will draw but i just wanted to check the 12v. i had a cd rom and one harddrive hooked into it with the mother board. i ran defrag and was loading a cd and the voltage never went below 11.95 or above 12.14 while being measured with a fluke meter.

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:09 am

With the antec my +12v rail is running around 11.6v. I know this is within speck but with what i paid for this supply is should be running alittle tighter. the antec is a quiet supply but boy do they run hot. this is set up in my spare bedroom and i sleep in there alot so i need quiet.

I installed the Super Flower with only 1 problem. this ps is big, really big. i have a top blowhole in my case and the ps is so long that i cant have the fan installed. to me this fan is important, alot of hot air sits at the top of your case and this fan removes that air. i took the fan out and crossed my fingers on the heat isssue. the connectors on this ps are very long, also there are 9 molex plugs which is plenty for everything. the fan is real quiet on silent and auto. my +12v rail is now a steady 12.06v with about .10v flucuation which is much better. I took these readings with a fluke meter so i know they are accurate.

I am going to run this ps for several days and will keep you posted on what happens.

I am now down to 2 fans in the back of the case. both are panaflo fba08a12L1a running at 7Volts. I think i need to get them down to 5v as i can now hear them. the PS is quite quiet, not silent but pretty good. I can now hear my cpu cooler, it is a coolermaster aero 7 Lite. I might get a zalman 7000cu until i can afford a water cooler. I also have a Maxtor HD that has a terrible whine to it, if i unplug it my noise drops by 1/2. My Voltages are now rock steady, they are all well within 3%.

my cpu temps have not changed at all, i am running at 42C idle and 49C full load. my case temp are 30C straight across the board.

on a side note how do i post pics. i have several but cant figure it out.

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:02 am

I am now down to 2 fans in the back of the case. both are panaflo fba08a12L1a running at 7Volts. I think i need to get them down to 5v as i can now hear them. the PS is quite quiet, not silent but pretty good. I can now hear my cpu cooler, it is a coolermaster aero 7 Lite. I might get a zalman 7000cu until i can afford a water cooler. I also have a Maxtor HD that has a terrible whine to it, if i unplug it my noise drops by 1/2. My Voltages are now rock steady, they are all well within 3%.

my cpu temps have not changed at all, i am running at 42C idle and 49C full load. my case temp are 30C straight across the board.

on a side note how do i post pics. i have several but cant figure it out.