Vcore and multiplier settings for Biostar M7NCG400

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

halfemt

Vcore and multiplier settings for Biostar M7NCG400

Post by halfemt » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:02 am

Hey everyone,

I just received a Biostar M7ncg400 motherboard and a mobile barton 2500 cpu from Newegg, but I can only change the FSB and not the cpu vcore or multiplier. Even worse, the multiplier seems to default at 6, so I'm only getting 1002 MHz at 166 FSB. Can anyone with this board help me out?

I'm using the latest bios, ncg41225bf, which came preinstalled on the board.

geordie
Friend of SPCR

Post by geordie » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:08 am

I have 2 of those Biostar boards, and I have a good selection of multipliers and voltages to select from on each. Vcore goes from 1.3v up to 2.0v IIRC.

I do have some issues with the multipliers but in general I'm very happy.
With a Barton 2500+ I cannot get multipliers above 12.5. When I select 13 it runs the cpu at 800 ish MHz.
With a Thorton 2400+ the lowest multiplier I can get is 12. Choices go up to about 15 I think.

I have only had the first board (with 2500+) for a couple of weeks though, and the second for a couple of days, so I may find ways of getting even more options. I don't have a XP-M processor to try either.
They're great boards for the price :D

halfemt

Post by halfemt » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:07 am

Geordie,

What bios version are you using? Where specifically in the bios can I change the multiplier and vcore settings?

I can't find either of these settings in my bios. Is everyone else using software to control them?

geordie
Friend of SPCR

Post by geordie » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:49 am

I'm not next to either machine to check, but from memory:

BIOS is whatever version it shipped with. Will check later.

Vcore setting is in the top menu of the right hand column in the BIOS, called something like "voltage settings". I think this is a sub-munu with settings for AGP, DIMM, and NB/IGP voltage too.

Bus frequency and cpu multiplier settings are in the 2nd or 3rd option of the left hand column in the BIOS. Probably called "advanced chipset settings" or something like that. Multiplier will probably be on "default" - just pick something else from the list.

Everything is done in the BIOS. No extra software. Just have a look round and see what you can find to play with. Hit "enter" on anything that looks interesting :) You can always quit without saving if you change something you didn't mean to!

halfemt

Post by halfemt » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:28 am

I jsut got a reply from Biostar's tech support. Apparently my version 7.0 board doesn't have the option to change the multiplier setting; only versions 7.2 and above do. Does anyone know of a place online that has the newer versions of this board?

geordie
Friend of SPCR

Post by geordie » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:50 pm

halfemt wrote:Geordie,

What bios version are you using?
I have the bios dated 17-09-2003. This is the version that shipped with my board. The pcb has version 1.0 written on it. Where are you getting 7.0 and 7.2 from? :?
halfemt wrote:Does anyone know of a place online that has the newer versions of this board?
You don't say which country. I got mine from Dabs, which they also sell slightly cheaper under their own DabsValue brand.