Deltatronic Silentium! experiences?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Deltatronic Silentium! experiences?

Post by halcyon » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:38 am

Has anybody bought or used Deltatronic Silentium with a 3 GHz P4 and a hot GPU (Radeon 9700 Pro for example)?

http://www.deltatronic.de/int/soundless_pc.html

According to a review by Tom's hardware the system can overheat to over 80 degrees celsius even with a 2,5GHz P4 within an hour.

http://www.de.tomshardware.com/praxis/2 ... um-06.html

I'm not sure this kind of a system is of any use, so I'd really like to hear confirmation/debunking of Tom's hardware findings.

regards,
Halcyon
Last edited by halcyon on Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:24 am

I'm starting to think that cases with 0 airflow (like in watercooling setups or all heatsink deals) aren't very effective to run 24/7 just cause other components that usually rely on partial air circulation would overheat and cause problems.

Saw a thermal image shot of some motherboard components that aren't usually thought about, and those things were running white hot.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bubo/

I would have serious doubts about a truly fanless high end system in a 24/7 scenario.

johnc
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by johnc » Sat May 03, 2003 5:50 am

Even in a low-power system, going entirely fanless is a marginal proposition. It can be done with exotic heatsink approaches, but other technologies (heatpipes?) and cool/fast cpu's are what we really need.

Here's what I found with this approach:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =18&page=2

John Coyle

jimbobUK

Post by jimbobUK » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:16 pm

I've just read over that toms hardware review.. translated via google... Deltatronic reply and update at the end of the article saying that the temperatures recorded were after it was modified and that in original state its not the case..

I was really excited by these machines but I am desperate for more feedback on them.... they have different motherboards on offer now.. someone needs to get one that has temperature monitoring built in as its sold... then we could really see how it performs...

ANyone know if silentpc will do a review of it?! or know any other communities that have experience with it?!?

d_kay

Post by d_kay » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:16 am

I read the article and realized that it was back in August 2002 !. Anyway, The main gripe was that THG tried upgrading the case with a different motherboard, and then the cooling system didn't work for some mysterious reason. The manufacturer claims that THG broke/misused the heatpipe, but THG tried again with the original motherboard and it worked again as before the upgrade. Soo, the big questionmark is whether it's an upgradeable system, or if you have to buy new improved heatpipes as you upgrade the rest of the system... Also burning several CD's in a row may cause problems, the manufacturer claims that that problem has been taken care of but I didn't understand completely how.

I also didn't see THG motherboard on the list of recommended motherboards on the manufacturers site.

Gerwin

Post by Gerwin » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:57 pm

I read a german article about the Deltatronic in a special silent pc issue of ComputerTechnik, and they also measured some pretty high temperatures, that they (C'T) found unacceptable.
I also think that quite some components, especially voltage regulators that have to deal with high currencies on tiny surfaces, are designed to work in some airflow that the atx standard prescribes. My pc is watercooled, and I've got a watercooled psu coming, so in theory, I wouldn't need any fans, but I'll stick a big, slow revving 120 mm fan somewhere in the middle of the case at least to get the air circulating. When it's in the middle of a (sound deadened) case, you don't hear a thing.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:49 pm

Deltatronic Silentium! Athlon 64 was reviewed in the latest c't magazine issue (7/2004). Quick summary:

- very quiet at 19 dBA/<0.1 sone
- very speedy (using Athlon 64 3400+ / Radeon 9800 Pro)
- very high temps (up to 85 degrees Celsius under max load).
- pricey at 2759€

Hush ATX P4/2.8Ghz was also tested in the same issue:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... 3461#83461

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:46 pm

According to the AMD spec 70 C is the max for Athlon 64 and 95 C for mobile version. So if that's correct, it's way too hot.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:54 am

grandpa_boris:
"review says silentium's temperature under load reached 85'C. and yet the system remained stable?"
Yes, that's what the review states if my very rudimentary German translation is anywhere correct. I'd really feel comfortable if a native speaker would translate that part of the review.

Contrary to how c't usually publish temp results, they weren't easily tabulated as load/desktop idling results in a table, but were just written within the main text. And of course they are in these overbearingly long sentences that continue for five paragraphs :)

But yes, according to the magazine, the system remained stable, even though they felt that temps were just too high.

Then again, I *think* they were using the on-chip sensor / motherboard to measure the temps (?).

If this is true, those temps can be easily 20C off the mark (too high). I know this from experience on my A64 3400+ with Shuttle AN50R which shows completely useless temp readings. Apparently the motherboard bios has some calculation algorithm that manipulates the results from the on-chip sensor.

regards,
Halcyon

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:19 am

http://www.geocities.jp/numano3/index.html

Two different fanless PCs, one a 3GHz and the other 2.4.

I think the trick is to have a carefully designed case, massive external heatsinks and a HD encased in putty :)

MoJo

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:39 am

error 404: Datei nicht gefunden!

Das angegebene Dokument konnte auf diesem Server leider nicht gefunden werden.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:19 am

Edward Ng wrote:error 404: Datei nicht gefunden!
Das angegebene Dokument konnte auf diesem Server leider nicht gefunden werden.
Ok, I get it now. For a sec, I thought Ed had turned into a German. :)

M

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:21 pm

Nah, I'm not German (yet)... only American-born Chinese Dominican (dad from Hong Kong, mom from the Dominican Republic, me from the Bronx), with some education (two years in Junior high) in Latin. I speak Cantonese, Spanish and English fluently, read and write in Spanish and English fluently, and can read Latin when equipped with my pocket dictionary; I can also work out basic Italian or Portuguese very slowly. But no, haven't added German to my repertoir yet, or any non-culinary French (took a culinary French course back at the CIA).

-Ed