Antec sonata mod

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

GamingGod

Antec sonata mod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:32 pm

I was hoping to get an antec sonata soon, cut out the back grill and replace it with a standard wire grill, decouple all the fans ect. My question is, would replacing the stock fan in the power supply help alot? Also would it be better to use a panaflo 80m1a of 80L1a? Also what is involded in replacing the stock fan in the antec power supply? Will I have to sodder anything or does it have a plug?

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Antec sonata mod

Post by MikeC » Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:26 pm

No need to out the back grill -- it is as open as can be, probably as good as a wire grill.

For safety under higher loads, Panaflo M would be better, and close to the quiet level of the L. It will make a significant difference in the noise level. Can't recall whether the pin connector or not... You'll find out.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:16 pm

So you think the m1a would push enough air then. It really only puts out 25db or less compared to the stock fan which you measured at 42db+, thats a pretty big change, you sure i dont need to use a h1a? Id rather be safe than sorry you know. I was asking if you could just plug it in, because in the picture of the inside right view of the power supply in the review you did it looks like a 3 pin fan connector, that would be great to know cause i dont know how to sodder, nor do i have the tools to do it. Thanks for the help by the way :D

Francis

Post by Francis » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:21 pm

GamingGod wrote:I was hoping to get an antec sonata soon..
Where the heck is the Sonata? Pricegrabber only shows 3 sellers that don't even have it in stock. It's still not mentioned anywhere on Atec's site. Anyone have more info on where to get one, or when it will arrive?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:25 pm

Supposidly they have sent them out, but they still arent in stock from what ive seen, and if you look hard you can find it on antec's site unless you took it down.
Also anyone know how quiet a 80mmh1a gets when its only getting 5-7v?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:26 pm

It really only puts out 25db or less compared to the stock fan which you measured at 42db+
huh? I did no fan noise comparisons between the two. The stock fan is rated for 42 cfm vs 32 cfm for the Panaflo M. It won't be enough if you plan on drawing >75% power from the PSU on a steady basis, but if you've got a typcail system, it will be plenty. There's little point swapping for Panaflo H -- I think the noise dif would be tiny.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:31 pm

MikeC wrote:No need to out the back grill -- it is as open as can be, probably as good as a wire grill.

For safety under higher loads, Panaflo M would be better, and close to the quiet level of the L. It will make a significant difference in the noise level. Can't recall whether the pin connector or not... You'll find out.
Hey Mike,

I don't remember how far you got with your Sonata PSU ducting experiment, but do you think even an L1A would be enough if the PSU was getting fresh cool air? Or is the sonata PSU getting fresh cool air already from those side vents?

I have an idea: measure the temp of the intake air at the PSU. In a regular case it must be at least 5-10C above ambient. Could it be less for a sonata PSU?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:32 pm

I did try blocking off the top area of the case from the bottom. The holes that form the world ANTEC across the sides of the case became the only intake vents for the PSU. I thought this would lower the PSU temp and perhaps the CPU temp as well - by giving each discrete fresh air sources. But neither of these things happened. In fact, the temp of one may have gone up-- can't remember the details anymore, but basically the outcome was not positive.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:35 pm

so basically a panaflo pushing 32cfm is quieter than the stock one if it were pushing 32cfm?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:25 pm

so basically a panaflo pushing 32cfm is quieter than the stock one if it were pushing 32cfm?
Probably. It would still be too loud for me, but that's not what I'd concerned with. If/when the fan in this PSU is running close to 12V, it will be because it is trying to deliver full power (although that would be very hard to do). At that point, you're probably less concerned about noise than about keeping the PSU from cooking.

But when the system is at idle to ~100W, which is for most people, much of the time, the Panaflo M will be considerably quieter than the stock fan. That's the reason you asked about the fan swap in the first place, isn't it?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:46 pm

ok i think i understand now, i just thought that if two fans would need to push about equal airflow to keep the power supply cool and therfore would be about the same noise, but i get what your saying now i think.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:00 pm

GG & everyone else reading about and contemplating PSU mods should know:
1) swapping out a typical fan in a thermistor fan PSU for a Panaflo L (or similar quiet low airflow fan) will mean less airflow at all times, from idle all the way to max power. It means lower noise, particularly at low power (which is the norm for most people's PCs).
2) Therefore, such mods usually mean higher average temps in the PSU and possibly, reduced life.
3) Both of the above effects can be reduced by lowering the airflow impedance to & through the PSU -- cut away grills, duct air efficiently, etc.

aaronspink

Post by aaronspink » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:21 am

Francis wrote:
GamingGod wrote:I was hoping to get an antec sonata soon..
Where the heck is the Sonata? Pricegrabber only shows 3 sellers that don't even have it in stock. It's still not mentioned anywhere on Atec's site. Anyone have more info on where to get one, or when it will arrive?
It is on the Antec site. Products, Enclosures, Lifestyle, Sonata.

Dru
Patron of SPCR

Post by Dru » Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:14 am

Ok. It looks like Antec has two web sites going. If you go to antec-inc.com (I did this first because I'm lazy), you won't find the info. You need to go to http://www.antec-inc.com. The www. site appears to be their revamped website.

Francis

Post by Francis » Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:34 am

aaronspink wrote:It is on the Antec site. Products, Enclosures, Lifestyle, Sonata.
Thanks! I finally found it!

supastar
-- Vendor --

Post by supastar » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:33 am

I posted information on the Compucase A6 case which is similar to the Sonata. I think it is better. With the Antec holes at the top sides, surely you would end up with a closed loop with these holes feeding the power supply rather than warm case air. Also the A6 has four 5.25" bays, not 3. It has five grommet mounted HDD bays, not 4. It is available in black and beige and it is smarter. It comes with the HEC PSU, rated as one of the top three PSUs in the recent test at Tom's Hardware. And the standard 120 mm exhaust fan is thermistor controlled. And the front grille actually lets in sufficient air rather than just being stylised. And it is probably a lot cheaper than the Antec.

Francis

Sonata in Beige?

Post by Francis » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:46 am

the SLPC review of the Sonata had a test sample in white. Anyone know if Antec will offer the Sonata in anything but "piano black"? The black finish looks nice, but everything else I got is boring beige, and I'd rather not take the time to paint it!

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:15 pm

black and white only i think, kinda a piano theme

aaronspink

Post by aaronspink » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:19 pm

supastar wrote:I posted information on the Compucase A6 case which is similar to the Sonata. I think it is better. With the Antec holes at the top sides, surely you would end up with a closed loop with these holes feeding the power supply rather than warm case air. Also the A6 has four 5.25" bays, not 3. It has five grommet mounted HDD bays, not 4. It is available in black and beige and it is smarter. It comes with the HEC PSU, rated as one of the top three PSUs in the recent test at Tom's Hardware. And the standard 120 mm exhaust fan is thermistor controlled. And the front grille actually lets in sufficient air rather than just being stylised. And it is probably a lot cheaper than the Antec.
And it isn't anything like the Sonata case. The A6 case appears to be made by the same people that make the SLK3700. The Sonata is significantly different.

Aaron

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:34 pm

anyone wanna link it so i know what your talking about? i cant find a compucase A6 on google.

supastar
-- Vendor --

Post by supastar » Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:08 pm

If you put 'compucase' into Google you get a choice of sites. The case in question is the 6A19.

supastar
-- Vendor --

Post by supastar » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:28 am

The SLK3700 is made by Antec as well as the Sonata case. The A6 is made by Compucase. I'm told it's quieter, cheaper and available.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:45 am

Specs/manual links should all work on our site now for the Sonata.

AntecRep

Francis

Post by Francis » Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:08 pm

AntecRep wrote:Specs/manual links should all work on our site now for the Sonata.
Thanks for the tip - but when are these actually going to be in stock anywhere?

bluehat

Post by bluehat » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:39 am

Antec web site:
"Sonata European version
Currently this is not available in Europe"

I wouldn't recommend replacing psu fan. Adding extra case fan helps to keep psu cool and psu fan running at lower speed.

max7

Post by max7 » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:46 am

will Sonata be available without PSU ? I have alredy silent PSU
and don't want to buy another one ?

The Compucase A6 seems just like some pretty ordinary case.

Jiffylush

Post by Jiffylush » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:41 am

The Sonata is available from newegg http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.a ... ion=sonata it is in stock and the total w/ shipping would be $123.00

I think this case may be making its way into my entertainment center very very soon.