Quiet 40mm CPU fan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sooty

Quiet 40mm CPU fan?

Post by Sooty » Sat May 01, 2004 11:22 am

I've a 333mhz Celeron, located on a ciucuit board c/w heatsink and fan, and plugged in at 90 degrees to the MOBO (..what kind of 'socket' is that? :? ) Anyway, having replaced the dead PSU and dead HD, I now discover it's the CPU fan making all the noise. This was a quiet computer.....presumably the fan bearing has gone. So what are my options? Dorothy Bradbury is offering Papst 412. (40x20mm -- £5.99 -- 5.9cfm 18dB(A))

edit: Btw, the current fan is 10mm thick (I see the Papst is 20mm - does it come with appropriate screws?) and it blows onto the heatsink and there are 3 wires (bk/yl/rd) that plug into the mobo.

geordie
Friend of SPCR

Post by geordie » Sat May 01, 2004 12:38 pm

I had the huge globalwin VOS32 cooler on my Slot1 P3-550. Twin 60mm screamer fans were defeaning, but fortunately it was easily cool enough passive. If you can get one of those you should be able to go passive too :)

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Sat May 01, 2004 1:17 pm

That Papst fan is about the lowest rated 40 mm fan you will find as far as noise goes. Dorothy's is a two wire. I bought a couple of three wires from www.pcsilent.de and www.silentpc.de.

Now I did find a Adda model that is rated at only 10 dBa, does not push much air, but will fit with my application. Had to order them special from Mouser.

maxxymus

Post by maxxymus » Sat May 01, 2004 2:58 pm

Get any cheap 40mm fan and undervolt it to 5volt. No one said you can't use 60mm fans as well... so it wont fit perfectly.. so what? :)
Just an example for a potential fan: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ ... ch_60.html

Or...

Get thermal paste adhesive and glue a nice big heatsink you can get for cheap and run at passively.

BTW, the socket type is called Slot-1.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Sat May 01, 2004 8:21 pm

Seems a bit odd to me that you'd be going through all this trouble for a 333MHz Celeron... :D I would try jerryrigging a nice quiet 80mm fan so that it blows over the heatsink. Tie the fan somewhere, use a bracket or some string, whatever it takes to position the fan near the heatsink.

I'm assuming you had a spare PSU and HD lying (laying?) around, and that you didn't buy new parts for this antiquated system. So, there's no point in buying special fans for it now! Just use whatever spare case fans you have handy. I understand the desire to get old systems up and running and useful, and part of the joy (for me at least) comes from the creative engineering tricks you use to bring the ol' computer back online.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Sun May 02, 2004 12:58 am

Depeding on the size and orientation of the fins in the HS, You could use a Zalman FB123 fan bracket. For speed adjustability, use a Zalman Fan Mate 1.

Cheers,

Jan

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Sun May 02, 2004 8:52 pm

Sizzle wrote:That Papst fan is about the lowest rated 40 mm fan you will find as far as noise goes. Dorothy's is a two wire. I bought a couple of three wires from www.pcsilent.de and www.silentpc.de.

Now I did find a Adda model that is rated at only 10 dBa, does not push much air, but will fit with my application. Had to order them special from Mouser.
What is the model number of that Adda fan?

Also, which did you find more silent - the Papst or the Adda?

8)

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Mon May 03, 2004 4:10 pm

Here is the model number:

AD0412DS-C56

Here's ADDA's small fan catalogue: http://www.addausa.com/specifications/up-40.pdf

I won't have the fans till next month as they are a special order from www.mouser.com, had to call them to order the fans.

The Papst was not overly loud in the case, I have a Abit IC7-Max3 and I used it in the OTES, still louder then I care to have.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Tue May 04, 2004 12:22 am

Thanks for that info. :)

I hope those Adda fans will be very quiet. If they are, would you please post back to tell us? Nice and quiet 40mm fans are so difficult to find...

8)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue May 04, 2004 5:53 am

al bundy wrote:Thanks for that info. :)

I hope those Adda fans will be very quiet.
I have two of these fans and they're certainly not very quiet, they're just quieter than the typical 40mm fan. You can't make a silk purse out of a cow's ear.
al bundy wrote:Nice and quiet 40mm fans are so difficult to find...
Yes they are, and these Addas are the best I've found, except for some of those 20mm thick Sunons running at 5V.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Tue May 04, 2004 11:50 am

Thanks Ralf. :)

P.S. - I think the proper phrase is "...out of a sow's ear."

“You cannot make, my lord, I fear,
A velvet purse of a sow's ear.”

- Peter Pindar

8)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue May 04, 2004 2:11 pm

al bundy wrote:P.S. - I think the proper phrase is "...out of a sow's ear."

“You cannot make, my lord, I fear,
A velvet purse of a sow's ear.”

- Peter Pindar
Hrmmph! Mr. Bigshot Pindar can call it what he likes and I'll call it what I like! phhhhhhhht!

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Wed May 05, 2004 4:31 am

Sorry, been busy.

Thanks for the suggestions and info. A YS-Tech FD4010 from Overclockers UK, at only £2, looked the easiest option. Stats are 40x40x10, 5.3 CFM @ 25dB @ 5300rpm. Despite Overclockers email, confirming despatch of a YS-Tech, what’s turned up is an Akasa DFS401012M...40x40x10, 5.76 CFM @ 25.78Db @ 5400rpm :roll: . I’m going to fit it tonight.
SometimesWarrior wrote:Seems a bit odd to me that you'd be going through all this trouble for a 333MHz Celeron... :D I would try jerryrigging a nice quiet 80mm fan so that it blows over the heatsink. Tie the fan somewhere, use a bracket or some string, whatever it takes to position the fan near the heatsink.

I'm assuming you had a spare PSU and HD lying (laying?) around, and that you didn't buy new parts for this antiquated system.
I bought new. Yes, I know it looks like throwing good money after bad, but this is a business computer, the second computer to fail within a few days. I was loosing money while it was out of action. It’s fast enough for what we want to do. I paid £1000 for it 5 years ago, but by investing £100 it’ll last maybe 40% longer, and the PSU and HD can always be used in other machines, so I think I’m getting VFM. Plus, I can't loose the smile, after having ‘heard’ a Samsung HD for the first time...SILENT :D . I’m very happy with the money I spent.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Wed May 05, 2004 12:24 pm

Removed fan, and it’s a 50mm, not a 40!! :oops:

Did a forum search, and Dorothy B. rates the Delta 50mm as the best. So that’s what I’ll order...unless anyone knows better.

Delta EFB0512LA 7.4 CFM @ 18 dB ...compared with the 50mm fitted... YS-Tech FD1250107B 11-12 CFM @ 28-34 dB

Btw, does anyone know how to remove this ‘socket 1’ heatsink c/w fan? I had to remove the fan with everything in situ on the mobo – not easy. The fan is a YS-Tech but with a Cooler Master label on the front, so I’m presuming it’s a CM cooler. There appears to be some sort of clip mechanism at the top, but I couldn’t get it to work. I presume it’s not a good idea to put too much pressure on this assembly...I did wiggle it about a bit :?

And is there a way of checking temps on this computer? (it runs NT4)

Putz

Post by Putz » Wed May 05, 2004 3:19 pm

Your motherboard is probably too old to have temperature sensors, but Motherboard Monitor (check the links section, under Software) will probably report the values if there are indeed sensors on the board.

To remove a Slot-1 processor, you'll need to push the 'top' and 'bottom' clips out and away from the CPU, and pull the processor+heatsink assembly away from the motherboard. There are probably little sub-clips that prevent you from pushing the main clips away from the processor, so figure out how to remove them first.

It is hard to cool those types of CPUs quietly, due to the small fan requirements. Several members here recommended that I bite the bullet and buy a GlobalWin VOS32, and then cool it passively (no fan at all), and that is what I'll in turn recommend to you.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Wed May 05, 2004 4:21 pm

Putz wrote:...To remove a Slot-1 processor, you'll need to push the 'top' and 'bottom' clips out and away from the CPU, and pull the processor+heatsink assembly away from the motherboard...
Hey Putz, do you perhaps have that backwards? For slot-1 I've always needed to push the integrated clips in (toward the processor) before removing the processor - since an inserted processor is locked to the board retention mechanism when they are pulled out.

Or, am I misunderstanding you?

8)

Putz

Post by Putz » Wed May 05, 2004 5:21 pm

Definitely possible. It's been a while since I actually did it. If you are certain, please definitively correct me, for others' benefit.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Wed May 05, 2004 7:06 pm

Well, so long as I'm not misunderstanding you, then yes I do think you have it backwards. For example, here's a site explaining what I mean.

I just didn't want anybody to break anything trying to pull a locked slot-1 processor off their board! :)

8)

Putz

Post by Putz » Wed May 05, 2004 11:17 pm

My bad :oops:

Didn't mean to lead anybody astray.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Sat May 08, 2004 7:29 am

Putz wrote:Your motherboard is probably too old to have temperature sensors, but Motherboard Monitor (check the links section, under Software) will probably report the values if there are indeed sensors on the board.
Will do Putz. I don’t know the mobo I have, but I’ll give MM a try.

I fitted the 50mm Delta CPU fan, so that’s now quiet...only a little less CFM compared to the original fan. Thanks for the Slot-1 advice. What really made a difference was placing the computer on top of the table, under good lighting, to work on – rather than under a desk, with bad lighting. I could see what I was doing this time :idea: :P , so I was able to work out how those Slot-1 clips worked, and pulling them open seemed to allow the CPU it’s freedom.

But with CPU fan fixed, I can now hear how noisey the new ZM300A Zalman PSU is, and its NOT QUIET :roll: I dare say it’s a quality PSU in most respects, but what it’s doing on Mike’s recommended quiet list, I’m having trouble understanding. I’d describe its noise as average – not impressed. Still, I found this thread , where Mike shows how, with a few resistors, the fans voltage can be reduced slightly – my next job.

ulysses

Post by ulysses » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:40 am

I have a P3-933MHz Coppermine with a noisy ~8700RPM 40mm fan. It doesn't whine (thankfully) but does make a rather loud whooshing. Would rather not remove the heatsink.

Would you guys recommend the Pabst 412 or the Adda mentioned above or something else?