New "thermal compound" w/ nearly 10X efficiency

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NeilBlanchard

New "thermal compound" w/ nearly 10X efficiency

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun May 09, 2004 4:34 am

Hello:

I found this link in a thread at Ace's Hardware: it's essentially a way to solder the HS to the CPU:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10678

Kewl! :twisted:

hero

Post by hero » Sun May 09, 2004 6:58 am

The smart lads at RNT have an interesting technology. They are working on a foil, composed of nano thin layers of aluminum and nickel, that when ignited, heats up to 1500° C in less than 10 milliseconds. Combine that with a bit of solder, and you can bond a heat spreader or heat sink directly to a chip without damaging the chip.
I wonder where you're soldering. :shock:

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Sun May 09, 2004 12:26 pm

$hit, I hope that Intel doesn't hear about this... :lol:

Jan

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun May 09, 2004 2:15 pm

Jan Kivar wrote:$hit, I hope that Intel doesn't hear about this... :lol:

Jan
Intel's already been soldering the IHS itself onto their newer P4 dies for the past 6-9 months now. They replaced that cheap TIM that they used to use. How did people find this out? They ripped the die off the package when they tried to remove their IHS's. :D :D :D

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Mon May 10, 2004 1:32 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:Intel's already been soldering the IHS itself onto their newer P4 dies for the past 6-9 months now. They replaced that cheap TIM that they used to use. How did people find this out? They ripped the die off the package when they tried to remove their IHS's. :D :D :D
Aye, I know that. But I'm thinking that this thing is much better than the one they are using now, thus giving the option to make more powerful Prescotts. Which would then take valuable production lines from our Pentium Ms... :D :D

Cheers,

Jan