Suggest a passive HSF for a E6400 in my Antec NSK3300

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

boze

Suggest a passive HSF for a E6400 in my Antec NSK3300

Post by boze » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:16 pm

it's been recommended that i buy a Thermalright HR-01-775, but it's out of stock at newegg. i may just try to get it from somewhere else but i was curious if anyone had other solutions to suggest. i'm particularly interested in something quiet that will fit in the case i'm getting.

thanks much..

pbecker

Post by pbecker » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:50 pm

A Scythe Ninja perhaps? I believe it should fit (someone correct me if I'm wrong) - though I'm not sure if there will be room for a heatsink-mounted fan as well as a case fan nearby.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:55 pm

pbecker wrote:A Scythe Ninja perhaps? I believe it should fit (someone correct me if I'm wrong) - though I'm not sure if there will be room for a heatsink-mounted fan as well as a case fan nearby.
Sure there will room for a fan. NSK is 7.9" wide, so I think none of the tower heatsinks is too tall.

I think the biggest obstacle could be the placement of the socket. If it is too high on the motherboard, some of the biggest heatsinks might not fit.

boze

Post by boze » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:52 am

thanks for the advice.

is this what you're recommending? i don't see anything called ninja at newegg either.

the SPCR user who recommended the Thermalright liked it because it was one less fan though - a passive heat sink cooler - but the ninja comes with a 120mm fan, isn't that true?

the mobo he suggested was the ASUS P5B-VM. This is how it's laid out in case that gives you and clue as to whether there's sideways room for these big heatsinks.

still confused but now by two products, :) maybe i'll get the thermalright from someplace other than newegg and just hope for the best.
-boze

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:18 am

Hey, I know you! :D :D

Anyways, Yes, that is the ninja on newegg. The ninja can also be run passively because it will be so close to the rear fan.

I decided to open my NSK3300 and take some pics to show the close proximity. The board is an Asus A8N-VM CSM (939), Athlon64 3200, AC Freezer 64 Pro, nVidia 6800XT, WD 80GB. The Freezer is 104mm (length), the HR-01 is 110mm and the Ninja is also 110mm.
ImageImageImageImage
Oh yea, Ive also ordered from Jab-Tech. They have alot of aftermarket stuff, and is a great site. I forgot about them last time. :oops: They have also the HR-01 here and it's cheaper than Newegg!

boze

Post by boze » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:35 am

hi ak- :)
whoops.. i just ordered the HR01 from sidewinder computers for about that price as well. both jabtech and sidewinder show it with the blue duct but i'm hoping that's just stock imagery since they both clearly say they're the 775 version and have links to Thermalright's FAQ page talking about the orange vs. blue ducts for space issues.

so fingers crossed it'll fit right without too much fuss or cabling woes. hey, do you have room enough between the "top" of the HS and the case cover? i noticed that the thermalright is quite tall (159mm) which only allows for about 1.5" of room for the mobo if the NSK3300 is 7.5" across.

oh, and i ordered everything else for my build just now as well. opted for 4gig of ram (Geil 2x2g DDR2 6400) as a way to celebrate all the money you saved me over getting the shuttle. other than that the order is just like that other thread you've been solitarily helping me with.

i'll be sure to take some pix and report back with my successes.. or more likely with questions :)

much obliged (i need to think of more creative ways to say thanks so i can still sound sincere!),
boze

ps - thanks for the pix too!

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:08 am

Thanks for the pictures Angelkiller! They make me worried. It looks like even the AC 64 is a tight fit, when it comes to height of the heatsink and Ninja is 2.5cm taller then AC 64. Luckily the cables are redirected in NSK3400. I Ninja would be hard to install in NSK3300 and cable management would be hard...

spaniard

Post by spaniard » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:12 am

try the thermalright SI-128, i run it passive. Hard to get though try www.awd-it.com, thats where I got mine from

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:25 pm

No problem for the pics. I love it when other people post pictures because the pics can tell so much more than words can.
boze wrote:hey, do you have room enough between the "top" of the HS and the case cover?
I measured a guaranteed 2.5 inches.
Erssa wrote:and cable management would be hard...
That's the hardest part. Yea the heatsink will fit, but the cables also have to fit.
spaniard wrote:try the thermalright SI-128
The SI-128 is 125mm (length) by 145mm (width). I don't know which way is which but both demisions are likely not to fit. Using a regular (non-micro-ATX case) that would have been a great choice.