Can I get an opinion on which of these is the quietest PSU?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

tackle

Can I get an opinion on which of these is the quietest PSU?

Post by tackle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:23 am

https://www.inet.se/datorkomponenter/na ... taggregat/

I'm building a computer for a friend, for audio recording/editing use. GPU will be very low power (passively cooled), Intel Q9550 with Thermalright Ultra True (black), two nexus 120mm fans in a Antec SOLO case.

I was hoping to find a Nexus VALUE 430, since it seems to be by far the most silent PSU (unless fanless), but it isn't available in Sweden and the distributor is phasing out Nexus so it might take a long time before we see some change.

If you look at the link I put on top you'll see these brands:
Ace, Antec, be quiet!, Cooler Master, Corsair, FSP, Fractal Design, Gigabyte, Mushkin, Nexus, Raidmax, Recom, Thermaltake, Zalman.

They DO have two Nexus PSU's, but they can't get the VALUE 430 one. Previously I built a computer using the 400w Nexus 4090 PSU. When mounted (the default way) so that the fan is hanging downwards, the fan let off an annoying clicking noise. Not loud, but something a hyper-sensitive SPCR user would recognize easily. Thus, I'm a bit jaded on buying that one.

My Corsair HX620 is somewhat quiet, but goes on streaks where it gives off coil buzz/whine very loudly. It isn't tied to what the computer is used for either. It comes and goes randomly.

All this together makes for a very uncertain call on what the heck to get. :?

KadazanPL

Post by KadazanPL » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:49 am

I used to have a BeQuiet! PSU (StraightPower E5 450W). It was VERY quiet and didn't speed up under any circumstances. Unfortunately, they do not seem to be very high quality. One day the PSU (the large capacitor, to be precise) got extremely hot and sent up a puff of smelly smoke. It didn't crash the computer, but I got scared and ripped out the PSU anyway. I consider it junk ever since.
I replaced it with a Corsair HX520W. It is a bit louder in open air, but once put in Antec Solo it becomes inaudible (closed side panels).

tackle

Post by tackle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:31 am

That sounds kind of scary!

Definately enough to keep me from buying BeQuiet!

Corsair is kind of scary for me to buy as well. I have a HX620. I bought it, had a high pitched coil buzz, returned it 3 (!!) times, same problem with all of them. This was when the PSU was kind of new, some years ago.

I read on neweggs comments on most Corsair PSU's, and a select few people have the same problem. The really weird thing is that people return the PSU's, but get new ones that has the same problem.

Very annoying.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:15 am

You can probably go with the Earthwatts 380W. I had one and it was very quiet at first, but I had to return it as it began to develop coil buzz. Antec replaced it with a retail packaged 500W model!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:21 am

Hi,

The quietest (fanned) PSU that SPCR has ever tested is the Nexus Value 430. [Sorry, I was sleepy...]
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K.Murx

Re: Can I get an opinion on which of these is the quietest P

Post by K.Murx » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:18 am

Neil? You might want some more of that coffee :)
tackle wrote: I was hoping to find a Nexus VALUE 430, since it seems to be by far the most silent PSU (unless fanless), but it isn't available in Sweden and the distributor is phasing out Nexus(...)
On topic: I had a BeQuiet! for a couple of years (2006-2008 if memory serves) and no complaints. But that was before I got interested in SPCR and I obviously never measured the SPL.

NefariousRat

Post by NefariousRat » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:41 pm

I'll bet the Antec 380 isn't as quiet as you're looking for. I've built several systems with them, and I've noticed the fan on every one.

I've heard a few quiet FSPs, but reliability on the midrange seems to be an issue with them, so I've never been willing to try the higher end. If I could get one that lasted longer than a year or two, I'd recommend them.

Is there any way Enermax is an option? I've been extremely happy with their 82+ line. Very cool and quiet.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:56 pm

One option would be to go for the Corsair CX400 or VX450 and if it is not quiet enough, buy a Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm fan and do a fan swap (if you feel comfortable doing this). This does void your warranty though, so no returning the unit afterwards!

I can't hear the VX450W in my HTPC, although this is when I am sitting on my couch ... this may not be good enough for an audio/recording PC.

HBT

Post by HBT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:38 am

They have the Nexus VALUE 430 in stock at multitronic.se
If you contact them, please ask if they can ship to Norway :)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:39 am

Small caution: If sleep mode is important, the Value 430 may not be the best choice. It didn't sleep for someone else in these forums, and recently, I discovered it doesn't on a couple of systems.